Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Need rash help :( (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469635)

5under5 12-05-2012 04:07 AM

Need rash help :(

We just started cloth again after a 4 kid/8yr hiatus so a lot has changed. I had saved much of my old stash - mainly old fuzzibunz and some elbees I also purchased a few new pockets on eBay, some flip covers, and some kawaii. I use prefolds to stuff, as well as some very (very) well-loved babykicks. The first week or two things were fine. The trickiest part was figuring out a good wash routine. We have a whirlpool duet sport FL and a may tag bravo TL. We have well water that can be hard or super super soft depending on where it is in the recharge cycle on the softener. We also have some sulfar issues - very noticeable in sink/tub water, tho I have not smelled with laundry. Almost immediately I noticed some serious stink issues, esp overnight. So I started rinsing the overnight dipes and all of my stuffers in cold sink water until they run clear, then toss in the pail. That has diminished, but not 100% fixed the ammonia smell. So I did a vinegar rinse on the inserts only, which also helped a bit. Then read about the overnight vinegar/oxy soak and did that prior to next wash. I've been using original Tide. I only did one wash in the FL, and hunk it just does not use enuf water. So I've been using the TL and adding extra water where I can. I do cold overnight soak. Then a cold wash, no detergent. Hot wash with tide, extra rinse. Then another rinse and drain.

Here is the issue - my poor ds's bum! Yowsers! At first, it was just a bit pink after an overnight of an elbee fitted with a flip cover. The elbee was SOAKED, but no leaks!! So I put a fleece liner in his next dipe and added some target zinc oxide (all I had at the time). That seemed to slightly improve the pink. That night I did another elbee fitted under wool thinking he needed to breathe more. The next morning he was bright red and had a dime sized perfect circle of red on his butt cheek. It almost looked like a dime had been inside his dipe and he was laying on it all night ??? I switched to a sposie for the morning and put a layer of neosporin down and a thick layer of Burt's bees butt cream over it. At the next change it looked more fungal so I tried some antifungal cream and have also read that coconut oil is sposed to be diaper friendly so I've stared smearing a layer of that on every change. I always rinse his bum in the sink in the am with warm water and a mild soap, and have also been rinsing after naps or any other prolonged changes. Then I pat dry and let air dry before the next dipe. Other than the overnights with elbees, I have not noticed that the rash is specific to any particular dipe. I am not at all impressed with the coconut oil, but I wonder if the stuff I have is not "good enough." I got it at Walmart last year and have been using it in the kitchen and also tried doing the oil cleanse on my face (again, not impressed). It does not have any coconut smell and is not the brand people have recommended from Walmart. So I'm wondering if I need to try and get that instead. Any other suggestions? I don't know if it's my son - he's never been overly sensitive before and has always cleared any rash quickly with Burt's. Bees. Or my dipes. But baby #7 is due any day and I'd like to get this figured out so I don't subject a newborn to the same fate.

Thx for your help. I'll try anything at this point!

stewartjess 12-05-2012 06:17 AM

Re: Need rash help :(

i had a similar problem with one of my kiddos - Comfrey salve and lanolin helped for a while, if the rash seemed acidic I did a mixture of half maalox and half lanolin (some pharmacists use vasaline) to soothe the skin. but ... I eventually just grabbed some old flannel receiving blankets and cut them into liners for the diapers so I could use diaper cream. Eckerd brand worked the best and I eventually just used that all the time. Not necessarily the most "all natural" thing to do, but my baby wasn't hurting. hope this helps and good luck!!

stewartjess 12-05-2012 06:17 AM

i had a similar problem with one of my kiddos - Comfrey salve and lanolin helped for a while, if the rash seemed acidic I did a mixture of half maalox and half lanolin (some pharmacists use vasaline) to soothe the skin. but ... I eventually just grabbed some old flannel receiving blankets and cut them into liners for the diapers so I could use diaper cream. Eckerd brand worked the best and I eventually just used that all the time. Not necessarily the most "all natural" thing to do, but my baby wasn't hurting. hope this helps and good luck!!

boysniris 12-05-2012 08:17 AM

Personally, although I LOVE coconut oil, I really don't find that it's a very effective barrier cream for cloth diapers. It may help a very mild rash, and it may soothe skin, but that's about it.

Our overnight diaper inserts (I think you called them stuffers) have to go into a wet pail until wash day. On wash day, I run them through a bleach/rinse cycle. We have FL washer, too, and moderately hard water. My son MUST have stay-dry fabric against his skin at night, and breathable fleece or wool covers 100% of the time or he will get rashy.

I recommend that you try the stay-dry fleece liner at night again, but also with the breathable wool cover as well. I'm not sure you'd want to bleach your Elbees ;) but maybe you can find a nighttime diaper that will tolerate a harsher routine like that. I use fleece pockets or pocket fitteds at night, and I stuff them with hemp PFs and cotton doublers. This way I can easily bleach the inserts.

c&w's mama 12-05-2012 09:33 AM

I wish I had more of an answer but hang in there mama!

I have an epic washer (practically the same) and just want it to stop working so I can get another!! (I guarantee I've never said anything so expensive before-- who needs another expense!!) can't stand that thing- I fight with it all the time. DH manually adjusted the water level higher-- waiting for a seal failure :(

TrennaII 12-05-2012 10:15 AM

Some random thoughts....

Vinegar in hard water can sometimes make ammonia issues worse.

I've been amazed by washing soda... Try adding a tablespoon of that instead of the oxi.

You're putting a lot into the diapers that might not all be rinsing out.

Maybe use a diaper sprayer to rinse diapers immediately after use.

Lanolin is an amazing barrier because it breaks down urine and it is most similar to skins natural oils.

Consider whether you are over cleaning his skin. Even hospitals recommend washcloths with water for wipes unless there's a poop. Skin needs its natural barrier.

Stuff that can irritate skin.... Aloe (sometimes it helps sometimes not), fragrances, detergent residue, essential oils, products with food type ingredients, combining too much warmth with too little air (try a breathable cover)...

Herb Pharm Trauma Oil has olive oil, calendula for healing, hypericum for pain, and Arnica. Works great for us mixed with Lanisoh.

Good luck!

5under5 12-07-2012 02:03 PM

Thanks for the ideas, ladies.

I have been rinsing my inserts and overnight dipes now and amazed at the amt of yellow that comes out! Hopefully that will help.

Can someone explain the wet pail idea to me? That is what my mom used to do. Do you add anything to it? I only wash every 4-5 days, though I am guessing that will change once the newborn comes.

Washing soda - is that borax or something else?

I'll get some lansinoh as soon as I can get out...I'll need that for nursing anyways.

I've stopped using soap on his tush in the am, just warm water rinses and patting dry. I never use baby wipes if there is a rash. Just warm water on a cloth wipe, and mild (it's the stuff I use to wash my hands 100x a day but not anibacterial) soap to rinse if he poos.

It looks better today, but still is faintly pink. I've been trying to change every hour or two, and he is just starting to tell me when he pees or poos so that helps.

wifey09 12-07-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrennaII (Post 16008452)
Some random thoughts....

Vinegar in hard water can sometimes make ammonia issues worse.

I've been amazed by washing soda... Try adding a tablespoon of that instead of the oxi.

You're putting a lot into the diapers that might not all be rinsing out.

Good luck!

^^^this
Hi I am new here and just jumping into threads!
If you want to use Vinegar I would recommend moving away from white and using apple cider vinegar as white can cause more problems with hard water.
Also, washing soda is great! I get Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda in a box similar to the Borax box. I use it for EVERYTHING it seems around the house!
I agree I would be sure you are rinsing the dipes really well. Especially the really absorbent pieces those do their job really well and can hang on to detergent, etc. I am no expert but I feel like I have been around the block with washing issues! (We have bad bad bad water)

Chibirsd 12-07-2012 02:45 PM

Maybe try a little dawn and a lot of hot rinses to get the detergent out you can also use a little hydrocortisone on the areas that are really red. Only use once or twice a day on small areas and don't use longer then 3 days.

Lindsey - RN wishing to be a SAHM. mom to the cutest DS born 10/3/11.

kaiulani73 12-07-2012 03:59 PM

I like the spectrum organic coconut oil for after bath. Also, I make my own cloth wipe solution, water, tbsp burts bees baby was, tbsp organic olive oil, 1 drop tea tree oil. Then I use the grovia magic stick if needed. Hope that helps.