Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Mamma's who work outside the home.... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469657)

jl10house 12-05-2012 07:34 AM

Mamma's who work outside the home....

What's your wash routine? How often? How many diapers do you have in your stash? What kinds? How do you streamline your routine so it doesn't take too much time from those precious moments w LOs? How do you prep/pack diapers for daycare? How many do you send each day?

I have a two 1/2 month old boy who goes to a family members house four days a week and I need to get a system together! Help! TIA!

allieono 12-05-2012 07:44 AM

Re: Mamma's who work outside the home....

I use all OS AIO dipes. I have 27 (i think) diapers. I wash every other day or every third day. I just dump the pail into the washer when I get home from work and ask the hubby to switch them to the dryer to tumble two cycles on low heat when he gets home.

My 3 month old goes to a family members house 4 days a week for about 4 hours a day. We just throw 2-3 diapers in his backpack with a wetbag.

I really dont find cloth diapering to be difficult. If I was using prefolds or pockets it may be harder but with AIO's, I just fold the tongues in and put them in their baskets. Its easier than regular laundry.

OH, and I just wash on hot/cold with tide powder in my top loader.

Kabuki24 12-05-2012 07:55 AM

I wash every three days or so. I pack up 5 diapers a day into a wetbag for him. I use a combo of AIOs and pockets. I stuff pockets/fold AIO's at night after he goes to bed a couple times a week.

My wash routine is a warm soak, a hot wash and an additional cold rince. I hang dry the shells and toss the rest in the dryer. I leave them in there until ready to fold.

badmisterkitty 12-05-2012 08:04 AM

When we went to a daycare that used cloth, I sent about 18 diapers for the whole week. She also bag of backup disposables in case she ran out. I only took diapers on Mondays. I washed when the pail was full and stacked everything for the next Monday. We used BGE's for daycare and later thirsties pockets.

We go to a daycare now that doesn't use cloth, but I just wash when the pail is full or almost full, sometimes I throw them in in the morning, sometimes in the evening. It's not the washing that takes so much time because the washer surely doesn't need to be watched or anything, it's the finding a minute to fold and stuff pockets. I loathe pockets and am going to destash them (again). I fold in the living room with the kids playing around me. The baby sits in his seat watching me.

dealdiva 12-05-2012 08:24 AM

My DS goes to Daycare 5 days a week. We mainly use BGE (AIO), and I have 24 of them. I send 6 / day to daycare, and wash every 3 days. We use Flips with organic inserts at night.

My wash routine is warm prewash followed by hot wash with extra rinse. I hang dry the Flip covers, and throw everything else in the dryer for 1 cycle. If still damp, I hang to dry overnight. :) Good luck!

oldmomma 12-05-2012 08:28 AM

I only send my AIO's to daycare with a hanging wetbag that has a pocket for the clean diapers. I wash every 3rd day or 2 times a week depending on my motivation level. I also don't wash the wetbag everytime. I wash it when it stinks when you close the zipper. At first I would send more diapers but now I am down to 5 a day ( I think she supplements with disposables that she has on hand). I load it up the night before usually straight from the dryer. I am bad with folding laundry. I do the rinsing of the dirty ones when the kids are asleep so it doesn't take time my time away from them.

mom2corag 12-05-2012 08:50 AM

We have multiple dcp depending on the day of the week, and our stash is certainly not simple or streamlined, but it works. We have a decent sized stash of both BGEs and BG 4.0's, and we wash every three days. Until DS was eating food and while he only had EBF poo, we used all BGEs for daycare because there's no stuffing or unstuffing, which is great. Now that he has ploppable / dunkable poo, we use the 4.0's for the main dcp, who changes and wraps up the full diaper for me to clean at home. I find that the suedecloth does better with releasing old poo. When he's with my MIL, we only use BGE's. She's lovely and dunks and swishes for us, but can never remember to take out the inserts of the 4.0's, and I hate unstuffing dirty pockets that have then been swished full of toilet water, so all BGE's when he's there. He's also with my mom one day a week, and we have a special stash for him to use on those days that is mainly velcro closures since my mom has a hard time with the snaps.
Oh, and when I'm home, we use all flats or prefolds with wool.
The good thing about having a different type of diaper for each DCP is that even when I don't finish stuffing / folding from the previous wash load, I still have enough diapers for daycare.

Nerissa 12-05-2012 08:55 AM

I had the same routine with DS2 and DD.

I wash twice a week and fold everything and put it away on Sunday. I have a big enough stash to get me through the entire week. I have pockets/AIO for daycare and a few for home use but mostly use prefolds/flats/fitteds at home.

I have 4 wet bags to send to daycare for the week. (DH is home with them on Mondays)

Once I am not sending bottles daily for DD I will go back to sending a big bag with diapers and all wet bags for the week at daycare and I just bring home the dirties each afternoon when I pick them up. I replenish if needed.

badmisterkitty 12-05-2012 08:57 AM

Oh, I also had 5 wetbags that I sent once a week.

thealmightyme 12-05-2012 09:04 AM

I wash on Wednesdays and Sundays. I do about 12 diapers a day for my twins that are 21 months old. I have a huge stash, over 100 so I don't ever run out of diapers. I put them in the wash while they are still eating dinner in their high chairs, but I have finished already. Then put them in the dryer just before I take them to bed. When they are asleep, I fold them put them in front of their bed room door and put them away in the morning when they wake up.