Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   uh oh...prepping mishap (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469666)

1nOnlyLilRed 12-05-2012 09:00 AM

uh oh...prepping mishap

I didn't know you shouldn't prep new stuff with old :( I washed my new cotton prefolds with older ones? Should I be concerned? What do I do?

1nOnlyLilRed 12-05-2012 09:01 AM

Re: uh oh...prepping mishap

Totally new here and to CD btw!

dncnshu00 12-05-2012 09:05 AM

I don't see why you couldn't wash your new stuff with your old. Where did you hear that? If I order only one new diaper, that's how I prep it. I throw it in with my other diaper laundry a couple times and it's ready to go.

dani_p 12-05-2012 09:10 AM

I think the idea is (with natural fibers at least) that the prepping process is to get the natural oils out of the fabric. If you wash with your already prepped diapers, you may embed them with some if the oils from your new diapers. That said, I don't ever separate new dipes, especially of its just one or two. If I got a ton of new diapers, I might wash them separately. But it's not necessary. Normal washing will get all those pesky oils out eventually. I've never noticed it, but you may get reduced absorbency for a short while. Don't worry mama, you didn't ruin anything!

c&w's mama 12-05-2012 10:28 AM

you didn't ruin :) might want to do one extra wash if you had a ton of new- and they were unbleached/organic. there's a ton of stuff in there-- and only might be an irritant to sensitive skin.

you're doing fine!!

If I have a few, I usually rinse and throw in with a load of towels a few times. But almost always have enough to do one load by itself then do with towels.

1nOnlyLilRed 12-05-2012 02:40 PM

Thank you ;) I feel much better now. I think it was the bum genius instructions plus something online that said to avoid washing them with unprepped items. It was just a bunch of used prefolds, three new econombum prefolds, and two new flip organic inserts.

me_just_me 12-05-2012 02:46 PM

You're fine! No harm done! If I get a few new diapers I don't bother prepping them separately. I think of it this way, when I'm washing them, the detergent is getting the oils out of the new diapers. I don't think the oils are going to go into another diaper, otherwise what is keeping the oils from redepositing back on to the diaper it just came from?

Now if I have a lot a diapers to prep I will prep them separately just because I prep differently than I regularly wash diapers.

c&w's mama 12-05-2012 02:53 PM

just pull out the flips and throw in with a few rounds of towels/sheets :)

me_just_me 12-05-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c&w's mama (Post 16009423)
just pull out the flips and throw in with a few rounds of towels/sheets :)

Yep! That is great way to prep as well. I've done that a few times.

Tabatha 12-05-2012 06:41 PM

The issue would be washing new, un prepped cotton with synthetics, whether the synthetics are new or old. The oils can get on the suede cloth and "clog" it up to make it not absorbent, or the cotton can shed and do the same thing. But washing cotton with cotton is never an issue.