Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Special Needs (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   speech therapy and my 3 yo (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469687)

freebird705 12-05-2012 08:46 AM

speech therapy and my 3 yo

Hi, last week I had a meeting with special education at my dd's school district. They had done a complete eval on her over a month. The gross motor skills therapist said she is a little weak in strength but not an overall concern. The main concern was he speech which has been a problem for as long as I can remember. Her headstart teacher has said that she is very hard to understand. For me, she'll try to tell a story and she knows exactly what she is saying although you have no clue. Her psychologist who evaled her at school said she could only understand 10 out of 100 words when the subject is given and only 5 out of 100 words in spontaneous speech. They said she is at an 18 month old language and she is 3 years 6 months old. They decided that she needs to have 1 on 1 therapy 4 times a week. This is all brand new to me. Any advice would be wonderful. They want to check in the spring for improvement and to see how she is socializing. Thank you, Shay

ralenth 12-05-2012 09:39 AM

Re: speech therapy and my 3 yo

I have 2 kids getting speech therapy, they both have developmental verbal apraxia. My middle son wasn't diagnosed until kindergarten. My youngest daughter, we started with evaluations at 3, and was told she was on the low side of normal. We did 12 weeks of a "speech playgroup" in which I was told she passed with flying colors. She was reevaluated a year later, and I was told the same thing. When she started kindergarten, she was immediately flagged by the speech therapists, as well as by the kindergarten teachers. It took us awhile, but she was also diagnosed with apraxia, and she now gets speech therapy, OT (for fine motor, and gross motor) as well as PT (for gross motor). She is doing so much better this year, but it's been a long path to get here.

With my kids, the way I can describe it best is they know what they want to say/write/do but the wires gets crossed and it comes out wrong. At the pre-k, kindy/1st grade level its all fun and games, they work on sounds they need help with, all in the context of some game or other. My 4th grader, it's no longer fun and games. His speech therapist is all business, and pushes him hard!! He brings home homework, and is suppose to be accountable for his speech. It is funny, all I have to do is mention his ST by name, and his speech patterns slow down, and become much clearer. The teachers say he does the same thing when his ST comes in the room.

In preschool, they were similar to what you mentioned with your DD... they had an extensive vocabulary, and understood everything we said, but nobody could understand them. I could, if I was looking at them. If I was looking away, I understood much less. It was kind of like they were talking with marbles in their mouth. Not exactly, but similar. In fact, my DD's teacher is kind of amazed. She's learning to read and write now (1st grade), and her speech patterns have no bearing on what she writes. She knows the correct sounds, just has trouble saying them.

mibarra 12-05-2012 09:53 AM

I highly recommend the therapy. The average for 3 year olds is to understand 75% of what they say. So she sounds behind in her speech. Now is definitely the time to pursue it, the longer you wait, the harder it is to change. :)

CASMama711 12-05-2012 12:43 PM

I'm impressed that they're offering 1-on-1 therapy 4x/weekly to any student! Kudos to them for providing the intensive therapy that she needs! Early speech therapy can prevent a lot of problems down the road. :thumbsup:

blossomgoat 12-05-2012 01:16 PM

Thank goodness they are offering 4x a week! We just this morning had our meeting with the school district to release our nearly 4 year old from speech therapy. We started meeting with the therapist in February of this year and at that time, DD could not be tested in all of the areas they look at because she spoke so little. She had a large number of words in her vocabulary that she invented herself. She used them consistently, so we understood them, but she was very difficult to understand and it frustrated her a lot.

As of this morning, she has surpassed what is normal for her age and has tackled and conquered a few sounds that they don't expect 5 year olds to even have. We met with our therapist 3x a week for the first 4 months, took the summer off, and then this year have met with her 2x a week. Each session was about 30 minutes.

Overall it was a GREAT experience. DD has gained so much both in her speech and in confidence. Be very very happy that they are offering you 4x a week. It may take a few weeks for your DS to settle in and warm up to them, but it will be a great thing for him.

mibarra 12-05-2012 02:27 PM

I agree, 4X a week one on one is awesome, and hopefully you see great results!

freebird705 12-06-2012 12:04 PM

Thank you, I am happy she is getting help now and at such an intense level. I always worry and I hope that this is what helps and I'm so thankful she isn't going to fall in the cracks. I do truly feel blessed they are helping her. Shay