Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Water in pump tubing - daily after cleaning (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469696)

aaperez 12-05-2012 09:23 AM

Water in pump tubing - daily after cleaning

I recently returned to work and am pumping at work 3x a day. After I am done pumping each time I rinse off the parts in the bathroom (I bring everything home and steam clean nightly using Medela steam bags...) however for my 2nd and 3rd pump session water gets in the tubing (I assume from my parts not being completely dry). Does anyone know if this will cause any issues? The water is usually gone by the next day but when I pump I can hear the water being sucked/pushed around in the tubing. Just wondering if this will cause any issues with my pump/suction/etc.

Thanks in advance!
Amyann

MDever 12-05-2012 09:29 AM

Re: Water in pump tubing - daily after cleaning

The lactation consultant at the hossy told me to run the pump with only the tubing attached(no flange or bottle) to dry the tubing out very well.

aaperez 12-05-2012 09:35 AM

Okay, I will try that.... do you know how long? and how often?

abunchoflemons 12-05-2012 10:01 AM

I just got another set of tubes to switch between. Try gaming on like a hook our doing for a while. I never had issues &I used my medela older pump lots here in 2011. You could try the wipes at work.I think they say just clean tube like every other time or if they get dirty. I never had milk get into mine.I still do every few days.

crunchymom2b 12-05-2012 08:03 PM

After pumping let the pump run for 10 minutes to clear out any condensation. You're not washing the tubing right? Tubing only needs to be cleaned if milk gets in them. Otherwise, just run the pump until the tubing is dry any other time of day. I would typically pump 15-25 minutesand then just let the pump run untilit shut off at 30 minutes (I had a rented symphony that did this, not sure if it was supposed to or not lol).

Nerissa 12-05-2012 08:09 PM

Mine does the same thing on pumping session 2 and 3. I just let the pump run with only the tubing attached while I clean everything up so about 5 minutes. Dries everything out.

aaperez 12-06-2012 09:04 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. I've been letting the pump run after in done and the water disappears!

theoriginalpumpkin 01-14-2013 11:04 PM

The best way to clean the tubing...

1) have 2 sets because you need time to let the washing set dry
2) wash tubing, bleach rinse, and then rinse again with water several times
3) whirl in bathtub (or over head for giggles) to force all the water out of the tubing. then let dry.

Mamanvert 01-26-2013 12:26 PM

Definitely run the pump a few minutes after pumping. I pretty much get condensation in the tubes after every session and running the pump fixes the issue. I really only leave it running dry for about 2 or 3 minutes

Allelujiah 02-21-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaperez (Post 16008258)
Okay, I will try that.... do you know how long? and how often?

2 minutes