Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   How many NB covers/diapers do I need? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469763)

2wonderfulboys 12-05-2012 11:19 AM

How many NB covers/diapers do I need?

I am going to try out cloth diapering a NB. How many covers do I need if I am going to do all prefolds? How many diapers do I need total? TIA :)

momEmac 12-05-2012 12:41 PM

I used prefolds with my DS as a newborn and I would recommend a minimum of 24 prefolds but 36 is much better and gives you extra for laundry day. I had 36 and it was perfect for us, I don't like feeling like I might run out if I don't get the laundry done. The extra 12 gave a perfect buffer for that. I recommend at least 3 covers per dozen prefolds. If you plan on trifolding in the cover at all (which is what I did) you might want one or two more.

Posted from my iPhone/iPad, probably while breast feeding. Mistakes likey

jmb162 12-05-2012 01:32 PM

I had 4 covers and wish I'd had more! Like 8 total.

Van1300 12-05-2012 01:32 PM

Re: How many NB covers/diapers do I need?

I have 8 covers and 30 prefolds. I trifold in a few covers and snappi mostly. My newbie is 1 month old and it has been working well. I do laundry every other day, but could make it to the 3rd morning if needed.

2wonderfulboys 12-05-2012 01:42 PM

What size prefolds did you ladies start with? Preemie or NB

momEmac 12-05-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2wonderfulboys
What size prefolds did you ladies start with? Preemie or NB

Newborn. We started when DS was 2 weeks old because I didn't want to invest in specials ones for the cord. I used GMD brand with Thirsties Duo size 1 cover, it is definitely my favorite cover for that stage.

Posted from my iPhone/iPad, probably while breast feeding. Mistakes likey

jennayoung99 12-05-2012 02:29 PM

I had 2 for my 15 prefolds (not my whole stash lol that would be crazy) and I needed at least one more. So I'd say the 3 to every dozen that someone else said, sounds pretty spot on.

penguinande 12-05-2012 05:56 PM

We just finished the newborn stage; we were using:
1 dozen fitteds (workhorse and small osocozy)
1 dozen flats
10 infant prefolds

We also had some aios but pretty much just used those for going out. We had 4 covers and that was enough, but we almost always used the fitteds first. If we had been using all flats/prefolds I would have wanted a minimum of 6 covers.

jills_mama 12-05-2012 09:18 PM

24-36 prefolds. 6-8 covers. I thought 36 prefolds were too many, but some love that many. 6 covers weren't quite enough, 8 meant I never worried about running out. I guess my ideal would be 30 prefolds and 8 covers!

jills_mama 12-05-2012 09:21 PM

Oh, but you can get by with 18 prefolds and 4 covers. I know a few moms that have gotten by with that little. That would have been so hard for me, but they make it work! I always imagine their fold is much better than mine so there are less leaks onto the cover.