Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Working FT & morning sickness (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469812)

ardeur 12-05-2012 01:46 PM

Working FT & morning sickness

... and by morning sickness I mean all-day sickness. :-(

How do you cope with nausea and vomiting without taking off work all the time? I'm having all-day nausea, but it hasn't gotten bad enough for me to vomit yet. I'm hoping that doesn't change as I enter my 6th week. I actually woke up at 3am this morning worrying about this -- imagining it getting bad enough that I won't be able to work at all, and then losing my job and health insurance. Gah!

I can cope with things right now as they are, but if it gets worse... :-(

nicolemariep 12-05-2012 01:55 PM

Re: Working FT & morning sickness

I worked FT with my first and my morning sickness was terrible. It was a good day if I'd only thrown up 4 times by lunch. I did my best, though. I sucked on sour hard candies, as that seemed to help, and I kept a bottle of mouthwash in my apron (I worked at Starbucks) so that I could rinse my mouth out when I went to the bathroom to vomit. I also ate whatever sounded okay, so I was the lady eating Minestrone soup at 9:30 in the morning (I got to work at 4am).

The only funny thing was when I announced my pregnancy at work at 12 weeks, everyone laughed and said that they'd known for weeks :blush: Guess I wasn't as covert about the barfing as I had thought.

*~Melissa~* 12-05-2012 01:56 PM

I had to take Zofran and sucked on preggie pop drops all day. I tried Unisom and B6, but they did nothing for me.

twood80 12-05-2012 02:07 PM

Saltines and gingerale at work. If you're salary, you can just work longer days to try to get the same amount of productive time out of your day. It doesn't leave you with free time in the evenings any more, but it helps keep work happy.

And if it gets so bad you can't work, you'll probably also be so bad you have to be receiving treatment (fluids?), and you'll probably qualify for short term disability.

keen1981 12-05-2012 02:11 PM

I sucked it up :( and kept it a secret. I really struggled. But I started a new job at 6 weeks pregnant. And that was not how I could start off. Mind over matter was huge.

Eta/No meds for me. I am a no meds kind of gal.

cdeweese 12-05-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keen1981 (Post 16009470)
I sucked it up :( and kept it a secret. I really struggled. But I started a new job at 6 weeks pregnant. And that was not how I could start off. Mind over matter was huge.

Eta/No meds for me. I am a no meds kind of gal.

Wow! You're amazing!!! I never could have worked full time and had my issues (although I just lost 12 pounds thanks to mine :yuck:).

I second Zofran (and make sure to try and eat a decent amount of protein, almonds and pistachios helped me). I used the dissolvable kind because I would vomit if I swallowed the tiny pill :(

keen1981 12-05-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdeweese

Wow! You're amazing!!! I never could have worked full time and had my issues (although I just lost 12 pounds thanks to mine :yuck:).

I second Zofran (and make sure to try and eat a decent amount of protein, almonds and pistachios helped me). I used the dissolvable kind because I would vomit if I swallowed the tiny pill :(

Not amazing- promise! I just really needed the job and was able to be clever. I drank a lot of water- which helped with the frequent bathroom trips. There was a couple times when I was helping a customer and damn near passed out. But I just stared at something and concentrated really hard. Lol.

Earthy Emmy 12-05-2012 02:26 PM

Preggie Pops! I survived on those things for a couple months!!

dncnshu00 12-05-2012 02:45 PM

I had to just suck it up and keep working. I was able to keep quiet until 13 weeks. Anything lemon scented or lemon flavored was a life saver. I kept a bottle of lemon water on my desk and would take the lid off and smell it before getting up to talk to a co-worker.

c&w's mama 12-05-2012 02:47 PM

hang in there! I searched all the bathrooms in my building to see which were the least used- I got lucky with that- people managed to leave just in time or not show up til I could control the heave. I found picking the stall with the tile wall helped because it felt better on my face and I would feel less like passing out. I hide pgs (or try) until 13-15 weeks and throw up until about 18. I've done it 3 times here, 2 living children. I carry zofran, but only take one when I can't stop the truly constant heaving (every 1/2 hour or more or when you just can't stop all in a row). sometimes hard candies help, sometimes they make you want to hurl ;) try what sounds good to you. seabands but not acupuncture helped for me. nothing makes it go away- but the day you notice its gone, or mostly- you instantly start to forget :)

you're going to make it! I hope to do it again :) (you know what I mean, no one likes to throw up all the time, but the love of a baby...)