Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Tell me about your home birth! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469869)

KelseyH 12-05-2012 04:46 PM

Tell me about your home birth!

I hope this is in the right place... Wasn't sure if parenting or L&D would've been better..

I am planning a home birth and have a pretty good idea of the supplies I'll have on hand (birth pool, basic birth kit, lots of towels ;), some herbs and tinctures, etc.). I am a compulsive planner, so I want to make sure everything goes off without a hitch and everyone (me, baby, DH, photographer) is as comfortable as possible! What I want to know is - if you have had a home birth, what did you have on hand that you couldn't have lived without, and what did you wish you had that maybe you overlooked? Just want to make sure I have alllllll my bases covered. :) Thanks!

nettepoet 12-05-2012 05:13 PM

Re: Tell me about your home birth!

im a crazy planner, too, so i can relate!

do you have a little fish net for the pool to catch any floaties if you poop? LOL. gross, but necessary.

i liked having my bed made up for labor even though i did a water birth. that way right after the baby was born we hobbled right over to the bed, cord still attached, blood, whatever all over us, and got under the covers to enjoy cuddles/latching, etc, and deliver the placenta. we had one set of sheets on, then plastic and another set of sheets and blankets on top of that. it was nice that we could then strip the bed and just relax without having to do extra work or find clean sheets.

having a little homeopathy kit for labor really came in handy. i had caullophyllum (sp?) for aiding labor, and it did come in handy for when my contractions fizzled out. i had another tincture (dont recall the name of it!) to take to help me deliver the placenta, bc i was DONE after my long labor and needed some encouragement to help it come out.

oh, this isnt about supplies, but just something that happened and i didnt expect it. my son was latching a little funny so my midwife checked his tongue and he had tongue-tie. they cut the little skin attached to his tongue and he barely even squeaked, and then latch was perfect. apparently it can cause big issues (speech, nursing, more...) and is better taken care of right away if your midwives will do it, so you may want to ask just in case. my first didnt have it and i had never heard of it, but it was good to know.

luck to you! it will be great.

KelseyH 12-05-2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nettepoet
im a crazy planner, too, so i can relate!

do you have a little fish net for the pool to catch any floaties if you poop? LOL. gross, but necessary.

i liked having my bed made up for labor even though i did a water birth. that way right after the baby was born we hobbled right over to the bed, cord still attached, blood, whatever all over us, and got under the covers to enjoy cuddles/latching, etc, and deliver the placenta. we had one set of sheets on, then plastic and another set of sheets and blankets on top of that. it was nice that we could then strip the bed and just relax without having to do extra work or find clean sheets.

having a little homeopathy kit for labor really came in handy. i had caullophyllum (sp?) for aiding labor, and it did come in handy for when my contractions fizzled out. i had another tincture (dont recall the name of it!) to take to help me deliver the placenta, bc i was DONE after my long labor and needed some encouragement to help it come out.

oh, this isnt about supplies, but just something that happened and i didnt expect it. my son was latching a little funny so my midwife checked his tongue and he had tongue-tie. they cut the little skin attached to his tongue and he barely even squeaked, and then latch was perfect. apparently it can cause big issues (speech, nursing, more...) and is better taken care of right away if your midwives will do it, so you may want to ask just in case. my first didnt have it and i had never heard of it, but it was good to know.

luck to you! it will be great.

I do have a fish net on my supply list! Hehe. As well as an extra set of sheets and 2 mil drop cloth for making up the bed twice. :)

Where did you get your homeopathy kit? It's looking to be really expensive to source herbs and make my own tinctures individually, but I haven't found a kit that has everything I need.

We actually won't have a midwife/midwives attending because of the laws in our state and availability of CNMs. Our first son was tongue tied, though, so it's definitely something we will be looking for! :goodvibes:

Thanks! We are super excited. :)

mammacandoit 12-06-2012 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KelseyH (Post 16010043)
I hope this is in the right place... Wasn't sure if parenting or L&D would've been better..

I am planning a home birth and have a pretty good idea of the supplies I'll have on hand (birth pool, basic birth kit, lots of towels ;), some herbs and tinctures, etc.). I am a compulsive planner, so I want to make sure everything goes off without a hitch and everyone (me, baby, DH, photographer) is as comfortable as possible! What I want to know is - if you have had a home birth, what did you have on hand that you couldn't have lived without, and what did you wish you had that maybe you overlooked? Just want to make sure I have alllllll my bases covered. :) Thanks!

My 3rd home birth will be taking place any day. :) Technically I have 12 days left, but we'll see. (hopeful and crossing my fingers that baby will come a bit early).

Here's what I have:
1. The basics: The pool, fishy net, & thermometer (couldn't live without it).
2. CLEAN HOSES for filling up the pool. Totally almost forgot this part until the other day!
3. I put a rocking chair next to my birth area so I can get out of the pool and sit with baby before walking to bed.
4. A few disposable adult diapers to use in conjunction with pads for those first 2 hours after birth. Then I use cloth.
5. HERBS - make sure you have red raspberry leaf handy & cramp bark.
6. in addition to cramp bark, have plenty of Ibuprofen available.
7. Peroxide for cleaning up carpet stains.
8. A list of peeps to call after baby comes.
9. music, lighting, & a space heater for mood and comfort in the room.
10. I make sure I keep my favorite healthy snacks stocked, so when after the baby comes I will have something yummy to eat.
11. My midwife has started recommending that I keep chlorophyll around to help build up my blood after delivery. I'm hoping this will help substantially as I typically loose quite a bit. She is also planning on bringing pitocin this time around for after delivery - apparently she thinks it might help my 'murder scene' (tmi, I know) after delivery. Hopeful.

If I think of anything else, I'll post. :)

KelseyH 12-06-2012 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mammacandoit

11. My midwife has started recommending that I keep chlorophyll around to help build up my blood after delivery. I'm hoping this will help substantially as I typically loose quite a bit. She is also planning on bringing pitocin this time around for after delivery - apparently she thinks it might help my 'murder scene' (tmi, I know) after delivery. Hopeful.

If I think of anything else, I'll post. :)

I won't have a midwife, but I am planning on encapsulation, which I know will help the bleeding over the next few days. If I bleed a lot during/immediately after the birth, I'm planning on just eating raw placenta - but only if necessary! Have you done that with any of your past home births? My OB mentioned a script for Cyototec in case of PPH, but I don't know how comfortable I am with that.

lindsayncadence 12-06-2012 06:48 AM

I went into shock after baby and my midwife gave me hot cayenne extract and I am having that on hand for sure this time. It took seconds to warm up my body and made me feel SO much better (once I got over the taste, chocolate milk works wonders). Also if your iron is NOT where it should be by 37 weeks (someone mentioned liquid chlorophyll) I would start taking liquid chlorophyll ahead of time. I couldnt afford it when needed last time and relied on floradix,diet and prenatals but it was too late and that would have helped soo much. Other than those I think you ladies all mentioned everything else I would have listed for this time :)

nettepoet 12-08-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KelseyH (Post 16010282)
Where did you get your homeopathy kit? It's looking to be really expensive to source herbs and make my own tinctures individually, but I haven't found a kit that has everything I need.

im a little spoiled in that my mom is a homeopath, so i just shopped in her supply cabinets for everything i needed.

this guy has great deals on remedies and if you email him with your inquiry, he can probably work with you or suggest things...
http://www.bestmade.us/products.html

the brand "standard" homeopathics is probably the biggest manufacturer in the US and is sold at stores like whole foods, wegmans, and even local mom and pop health food stores. if you want i can PM you a list of remedies and their uses before, during, and after labor. there are even some for newborn issues like difficulty breathing, jaundice, etc.

lindsayncadence 12-08-2012 12:27 PM

Can you pm me that info as well? Would be nice to have on hand :)

KelseyH 12-08-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nettepoet

im a little spoiled in that my mom is a homeopath, so i just shopped in her supply cabinets for everything i needed.

this guy has great deals on remedies and if you email him with your inquiry, he can probably work with you or suggest things...
http://www.bestmade.us/products.html

the brand "standard" homeopathics is probably the biggest manufacturer in the US and is sold at stores like whole foods, wegmans, and even local mom and pop health food stores. if you want i can PM you a list of remedies and their uses before, during, and after labor. there are even some for newborn issues like difficulty breathing, jaundice, etc.

Yes, please!

bigmamakelsey 12-08-2012 02:44 PM

Most HB midwives have a box of birth supplies made specifically for them through a site, so I'd ask if she has one you can look up:) Most of the birth supplies are really for the midwife - like the clamp, gloves, iodine, ect. The things I'd recommend for supplies for you are LOTS of pads/plastic sheets/old towels (birth is messy!! :giggle:) postpartum pads, and hydrogen proxide (to take stains out of sheets, carpets.) Other than that, cool/warm packs, a yoga ball, homeopathics (smooth birthing remedy or rescue remedy) labor drink (water, emgercen-c, lemon and honey) and rubs or massage oil. I used one with clary sage in it, it helps labor progress you you could do something like that:) GL!