Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Green Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Trader Joe's (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469929)

kfosmom 12-05-2012 07:30 PM

Trader Joe's

I thought that I would ask what do you all buy from Trader Joe's?

There is a Trader Joe's that is opening about an hour from my house. This is the first one that I can actually drive to, shop, and drive home. I have been to them in the past but that was pre-kids and I could never buy anything perishable. I am planning a trip shortly and don't want to miss out on anything good!!!

I am not sure if this is the right board to post this. If not admin please feel free to move

mayasmomma 12-05-2012 07:46 PM

Re: Trader Joe's

Oh goodness where to start! First off - we buy ALL our soaps there. Dish soap, laundry detergent - the BIG bottle (SO cheap). We get whole milk there for dd, big containers of yogurt (just like Stonyfield), shredded cheeses...I guess any grocery item we need because it's way cheaper than any other grocery store near us.

Their produce is not the best, that's not what they are known for but it is improving. After all - they started out as a beer and wine store and slowly started to incorporate appetizers and snacks. Now they are an amazing grocery store. Their frozen foods are amazing for appetizers if you're throwing a party. One of our favorite foods from there is a dry box of mushroom risotto. We stock up on it and use it as a side weekly. Their juices - the best - I will never go back to ocean spray, etc. their flavors are so good! I love their large containers of coffee too!

On the indulgent side they have great wine and it's so inexpensive. They also have the most beautiful flowers, dh always gets my flowers there.

Have fun shopping!

tallanvor 12-05-2012 07:52 PM

I love their sponges. Sounds silly, I know, but they are awesome.

We also loved their tortillas. And chocolate. I used to get my honey and maple syrup there, too.

I miss Trader Joes.

oregonmom 12-05-2012 08:14 PM

Here is another thead about this subject. I just thought it would be easier to link to it then try to list all the great stuff there. http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1445572

MomMe3 12-06-2012 03:12 PM

There are so many great things at Trader Joe's! They have great seasonal treats too. One of our staples is their pizza dough. It's so cheap (under $2) and we can make healthy pizza and the kids love it! My favorite dough flavor is the garlic herb.

kfosmom 12-06-2012 08:15 PM

Oregon mom, thanks for the link. I will have to check it out. MomMe3 I never thought of pizza dough. I will have to look at that. Oh I will have to look at the juice. The state I live in grocery stores can not sell wine or liquor so I do not think that they will have it :-(.

PoshPants 12-06-2012 08:25 PM

Well I may be the only one, but I don't like trader joes. Whole foods is much better. The produce is usually old and less organic. They have a lot of freezer stuff but most have additives I'm not keen on. The kids like their cinnamon buns and the fact they have tiny carts for them to use, so I go there sometimes. I just prefer more natural food and I don't find it there.

keen1981 12-06-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoshPants
Well I may be the only one, but I don't like trader joes. Whole foods is much better. The produce is usually old and less organic. They have a lot of freezer stuff but most have additives I'm not keen on. The kids like their cinnamon buns and the fact they have tiny carts for them to use, so I go there sometimes. I just prefer more natural food and I don't find it there.

I don't see trader joes as apples to apples to whole foods. Two different stores, IMO. While foods is the top of the tier. And it goes down from there.

PoshPants 12-06-2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keen1981 (Post 16015000)
I don't see trader joes as apples to apples to whole foods. Two different stores, IMO. While foods is the top of the tier. And it goes down from there.

here on the west coast people are usually fans of one or the other and claim they are equal.

I wouldn't drive an hour for either unless I wanted to go to other places round it.

Whole Foods isn't as great as it used to be either, more and more they are turning into a classier safeway but with higher prices.

keen1981 12-06-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoshPants

here on the west coast people are usually fans of one or the other and claim they are equal.

I wouldn't drive an hour for either unless I wanted to go to other places round it.

Whole Foods isn't as great as it used to be either, more and more they are turning into a classier safeway but with higher prices.

Odd. I live in SD. No trader joe can even compare to whole foods, here... Size alone is a factor.