Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In May (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Anyone else not do ultrasounds? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469982)

nalazimbala 12-05-2012 10:16 PM

Anyone else not do ultrasounds?

I don't try to talk other people out of getting them, but personally, I'm not comfortable with them. I'm on my 3rd pregnancy and didn't have them with any of my babies. From the reading that I've done, I believe a single ultrasound in a pregnancy may not have any effects, but if that's the case, I prefer to wait to see if there are signs of any problems and have one in that situation.

I just get a little tired of everyone saying "so you like surprise, huh?". Then I either just do the smile and nod (because no, I would actually love to know what I'm having), or I can go into the "we don't do ultrasounds" which brings up other questions. I don't really like bringing up the ultrasound issue because I know having them is pretty much the norm and I don't like to risk offending people.

Am I the only one in this boat?

mommyjlo 12-06-2012 05:07 AM

I didn't have one until 38 weeks with my first, and that was just to confirm she was breech. I am fine having one if there is a reason for one. I don't like to know what I'm having. :) I do think there can be some risks associated with them, especially early on, but I'm thankful for them should there be a possible problem that needs further information. :)

leyash 12-06-2012 05:21 AM

Re: Anyone else not do ultrasounds?

I get them. I enjoy seeing baby. I had two each with my last two pregnancies, and just one with my first. I've had several with this one, because I experienced a loss in April, and checking on baby is re-assuring. Selfish reason? Absolutely. I regret a couple of them, as they definitely weren't necessary. I would really like to just get one more and be done, but if there is something that calls for more than that, so be it.

heavenlyblessedmom 12-06-2012 07:11 AM

I had ultrasounds with my first three (and a lot with two of them =/) However, I since learned more about the potential risks associated with both doppler use and ultrasound and no longer routinely use either during pregnancy. I use a fetoscope, and will only have an ultrasound if medically indicated.

MommaLEB 12-06-2012 08:27 AM

I try to have as few as possible. I worry too much about all the meds I take and the lack of weight gain and all that to pass up on the anatomy scan, and I needed a dating scan this time because I didn't get a period between IUD removal and BFP. Last time I needed one additional at 34ish weeks because my fundal height was off the charts low. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case this time as well. As to whether or not other people get ultrasounds that's up to them. I don't really understand the desire to have absolutely none, or the desire to have as many as possible, I see them as a tool for healthy pregnancies, but to each their own.

Mom2ManyBlessings 12-06-2012 03:31 PM

I understand why people dont, and if I was better at pregnancy I might go that route.
However, I dont do pregnancy well. 4 preterm birth, preterm contractions/dilation where they had to stop labor very early in 5 pregnancies. Ultrasounds reassure a lot of things for me and help my OBs make the best decisions for my baby. (Knowing when and how quickly ny cervix is shortening, Checking on babys growth seeing how bby handels all the contractions and meds, ect)
I planned on doing a homebirth with no ultrasounds this pregnancy, but it just isnt how I roll during pregnancy :) Im "high risk" for a reason unfortunately.

Kristen - Helpmeet to an amazing DH. Mama to seven blessings (and #8 on the way!)

jennayoung99 12-06-2012 03:53 PM

We do the anatomy scan, but that's it. I don't want to do any unnecessary scans.

nalazimbala 12-06-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavenlyblessedmom (Post 16011937)
I had ultrasounds with my first three (and a lot with two of them =/) However, I since learned more about the potential risks associated with both doppler use and ultrasound and no longer routinely use either during pregnancy. I use a fetoscope, and will only have an ultrasound if medically indicated.

Glad to know I'm not alone! On all my pregnancies, the OB would use the doppler on my visit when I get my bloodwork done, but the rest of my pregnancy, I would have my midwife use the fetoscope.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2ManyBlessings (Post 16013881)
I understand why people dont, and if I was better at pregnancy I might go that route.
However, I dont do pregnancy well. 4 preterm birth, preterm contractions/dilation where they had to stop labor very early in 5 pregnancies. Ultrasounds reassure a lot of things for me and help my OBs make the best decisions for my baby. (Knowing when and how quickly ny cervix is shortening, Checking on babys growth seeing how bby handels all the contractions and meds, ect)
I planned on doing a homebirth with no ultrasounds this pregnancy, but it just isnt how I roll during pregnancy :) Im "high risk" for a reason unfortunately.

Kristen - Helpmeet to an amazing DH. Mama to seven blessings (and #8 on the way!)

I can totally understand this. I think you have to weigh the risks on both sides and when there are potential problems, the ultrasounds have merit. I just don't feel comfortable using them when they aren't medically relevant. I've been blessed with easy pregnancies, but if there were signs that something might be wrong, I would consider having one.

missemily 12-09-2012 10:24 AM

I only get the one at 20 weeks. I am not crazy about DR's to begin with.

Daniella Jean 12-09-2012 11:58 AM

I'm sort of on the fence, I don't want to have unnecessary ultrasounds, but wouldn't hesitate to have multiple ultrasounds if my doctor/I felt it was important.

With my first I only had one ultrasound, but this time I had no idea when my last period was, so I did have an early ultrasound. I ended up being pretty close with my due date, but I was only going by when I started feeling I was pregnant, so we obviously wanted to make sure. We ended up finding out we were having twins, so it worked out well to find out a little earlier.