Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work out of Home Moms (WOHM) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   A couple questions... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470015)

1healthylady 12-06-2012 07:52 AM

A couple questions...

This is my first week back at work. DD is in a wonderful daycare and I'm so happy with how she's doing there. I have a couple questions though, maybe you can help.

1. How do you label your bottles? I've been using Sharpie, but it wipes off every time I wash them.
2. Does anyone leave their pump at work during the week? I feel like I have so much to haul back and forth everyday. Thinking of just leaving the pump and bringing bottles and pump parts back and forth for cleaning. What are your thoughts?
3. I provided both cloth wipes soaked in water and just a few disposables just in case. I would rather them use the cloth, but I don't think they have yet. It's not a big deal, but what's the best way to approach it with them? I am thrilled that they are having no problems with prefolds and covers and I don't want to rock that boat!

TIA!:goodvibes:

Shimpie 12-06-2012 09:50 AM

Re: A couple questions...

I'm glad you have DD in a daycare that you like. You've got the hardest part down.

1) I used a label maker. The adhesive survived a few washes before I needed to make new labels.
2) I always took my pump home with me, but I would leave it in the car. That was because I had meetings outside of my workplace. If you predictably work at one location, then I suppose leaving the pump at work would be okay.
3) That's what I did. I provide pocket diapers and cloth wipes, but I also provided a few disposable diapers and wipes as back-up.

Best of luck back at work!:lostit:

mibarra 12-06-2012 03:34 PM

1. How do you label your bottles? I've been using Sharpie, but it wipes off every time I wash them.

Orbit labels. They are basically custom ordered rubber bands with embossed names that you put around bottles.

2. Does anyone leave their pump at work during the week? I feel like I have so much to haul back and forth everyday. Thinking of just leaving the pump and bringing bottles and pump parts back and forth for cleaning. What are your thoughts?

Too scared of it getting stolen. Though I would leave it in my car. Which makes no sense what so every!! ;)

3. I provided both cloth wipes soaked in water and just a few disposables just in case. I would rather them use the cloth, but I don't think they have yet. It's not a big deal, but what's the best way to approach it with them? I am thrilled that they are having no problems with prefolds and covers and I don't want to rock that boat!

Stop bringing disposables. I bet they won't use them unless they don't have a choice. I did CD at daycare, but found disposable wipes were just easier for them, so I did that. :)

Nerissa 12-06-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1healthylady (Post 16011869)
This is my first week back at work. DD is in a wonderful daycare and I'm so happy with how she's doing there. I have a couple questions though, maybe you can help.

1. How do you label your bottles? I've been using Sharpie, but it wipes off every time I wash them. I dont label the bottles. I send DD bottles, enogh for the day, in a cooler with an ice pack. there is only one other baby and he uses different bottles. It has never been an issue

2. Does anyone leave their pump at work during the week? I feel like I have so much to haul back and forth everyday. Thinking of just leaving the pump and bringing bottles and pump parts back and forth for cleaning. What are your thoughts? I would never leave my pump at work. I pump at home to but even if i ddin't i wouldn' leave it at work.

3. I provided both cloth wipes soaked in water and just a few disposables just in case. I would rather them use the cloth, but I don't think they have yet. It's not a big deal, but what's the best way to approach it with them? I am thrilled that they are having no problems with prefolds and covers and I don't want to rock that boat! I would let the cloth wipes go and just be happy they are using your cloth diapers. Maybe after a few weeks when they get the hang of it the approach them. Or if you really don't want them to use disposable then jsut dont send them. DD daycare uses cloth diapers but disposable wipes.

TIA!:goodvibes:

1healthylady 12-07-2012 11:05 AM

She is in a class of 8 babies and all their bottles go in a fridge in the morning. I've been putting hers in a ziploc bag, and using sharpie on the actual bottles. Per health code requirements everything has to be labeled with first name, last initial. I talked to DH and he was ok with me spending the money on Orbit labels. Usually I try to go the cheapest route possible, but I think they'd be worth it since she could use them throughout the years for much more than just bottles. Right now they have free shipping and I found a coupon code for 10% off. :thumbsup:

I'm not worried about the pump being stolen as our office is locked at night and I work at my desk all day most everyday. I think I might leave it at work during the week and bring it home for the weekends. Theoretically, I shouldn't have to pump during the week (although I could have used a good pumping session this morning, silly girl only ate from one side). My goal is to lighten my load of everything I have to cart back and forth so I can get back to riding the bus. So much cheaper than driving!

I asked her teacher this am how the CDs were going for them and she was very positive about it. I think next week I will leave out the disposable wipes. DH just has to remember to grab the cloth ones when he does pick up so I can send her with a fresh supply the next day. I find the cloth wipes much more convenient because I can just throw it in the dirty diaper and into the wet bag, whereas a disposable has to be separated and put in the trash (and I don't have a trash bag near her diaper changing station so I oftentimes forget:blush:). Her little diaper corner is so cute next to all the other kids' disposables with all her diaper prints displayed. Granted they take up a lot more room, but they're cute.:giggle2:

Thanks for the advice! It is really good to be back at work but it's a whole new set of challenges being a working mom!

Nerissa 12-07-2012 12:28 PM

That makes more sense now on the labels. We use an inhome daycare. I for a food servise and yes the rules/regulations are very strict. As for labels-- I have gone to the local restraunt supply store and they have labels that are easily removalbe some even come off in the wash.

That makes sense on the pump. If you find you need to pump a little at home during the week, a cheap manual one would work.

Maybe her cute little diapers will get some others to consider cloth. :)

Yeah, going back to work is challenging. It takes me about a month or so to get really into the swing of things. This time around was harder since my first week back was 3 days, then next week was Thanksgiving so only a 2 day work week.

mibarra 12-07-2012 01:39 PM

I love my Orbit labels. We still use them on the sippy cups to keep track of who's is who's at home or if we go out to parties and whatnot. :)

BCsMom 12-13-2012 08:23 PM

1.) I labeled mine with a labelmaker. The bottles all get handwashed (because the same set of 3-4 go to daycare every day), and after 4 months the labels have started to peel a little, but no one seems to mind. I'll probably just replace them every once in awhile.

2.) I leave my pump at work during the week & sometimes even on weekends. I have a manual pump at home - right now my pumping schedule is 3 times at work and then one time right before I go to bed. Since it's just one pump at home, the manual works great for me. It takes longer to do the pumping, but it's SO MUCH faster for me to set up and break down, which I love. I just watch some TV while pumping. I bring my pump home on the weekends mostly so I can just wash all the parts thoroughly. During the week, I store the parts in a fridge during the day between pumps, and then wash everything at the end of the day, let it air dry overnight.

3.) I provided disposable wipes at first, but when daycare ran out and I was too lazy to go to the store, I just started sending wetted cloth wipes in a tupperware without saying anything, and it's been that way every since. :-)

kimmyj 12-14-2012 04:38 PM

I can't help with the first question (my baby is the only bottle drinker at daycare so his bottles don't need labeling)

2. Does anyone leave their pump at work during the week? I feel like I have so much to haul back and forth everyday. Thinking of just leaving the pump and bringing bottles and pump parts back and forth for cleaning. What are your thoughts? **** If I can leave my pump at work and just take the parts home for cleaning, I do. For the first 4-5 months I was back at work, I did the exclusively. More recently I'm running into a problem where I don't pump enough at work and have to also pump at home - so instead of buying a second pump, I lug.

3. I provided both cloth wipes soaked in water and just a few disposables just in case. I would rather them use the cloth, but I don't think they have yet. It's not a big deal, but what's the best way to approach it with them? **** Wow, what a fantastic idea! At home we use a spray bottle on our cloth wipes and for some reason thought that sending cloth wipes to daycare would be too much hassle. I might try this. I personally think cloth wipes are SO MUCH easier with cloth diapers and at first I gave my daycare provider a choice - but then I just decided to start sending throw away wipes. I would wait and see if they ask that you provide disposable wipes and then address it then, if you need to. I would assume if they are willing to use prefolds - they'll be more than happy to use cloth wipes, maybe they just need some direction.

DottieHarley 12-14-2012 08:28 PM

Congrats mama!

1. Another vote for orbits... We use them on sippies too. If there is any way dcp would be okay with just last name, you could use them later on?
2. I actually left my pump at work full time... Didnt come home til i hung up the horns! Locked it in my office at night, only carried the bottles, horns etc back and forth each day.
3. Yeah, just leave the sposies at home!