Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Keep the clothes or give for consignment? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470035)

chandni3 12-06-2012 08:12 AM

Keep the clothes or give for consignment?

My daughter is 1 and already has 3 bins of outgrown clothes. She was a Nov baby and I'm now pregnant with a June baby so I can't really use most of the clothing. In a year and 1/2 I'll have 3 more bins of clothes for this baby plus new outgrown clothes for my daughter. I sorted through a bunch of the newborn and 0-3 clothes and put a small pile aside for consignment. I kept most of the gender neutral stuff and a few sentimental pieces. Once I find out the sex of this baby, (and if it's a boy like I think) I'll get rid of some of the other sized clothes. But my mom is trying to get me to keep the clothes because I can lend them to other family members. She said she'd store it for me (but I don't think she realizes how much it is). Also, I'm annoyed, I don't want to have to cloth everyone else's kid. They can buy their own clothes, why should I give them mine? If I were to keep it I'd keep it for my children. I know I won't get a ton of money at consignment, but I'll get a little or store credit. Should I hang on to the clothes? Am I mean that I feel annoyed that I'm expected to pass on my clothes just because I had the first baby?

Tina5834 12-06-2012 08:22 AM

I keep clothes here because eventually I will have a child that will fit them but I only keep clothes that look new. So, that doesn't leave us with very many because my kids are all so rough on their clothes. If you don't want to keep them and feel you can afford all new clothes for future kids then by all means sell them! You can always consign and then hat doesn't sell you can give to her and tell we that they are her responsibility now! Kwim?

theonenonlymrssmith 12-06-2012 08:42 AM

Re: Keep the clothes or give for consignment?

Quote:

Originally Posted by chandni3 (Post 16012123)
I'm annoyed, I don't want to have to cloth everyone else's kid. They can buy their own clothes, why should I give them mine? If I were to keep it I'd keep it for my children. I know I won't get a ton of money at consignment, but I'll get a little or store credit. Should I hang on to the clothes? Am I mean that I feel annoyed that I'm expected to pass on my clothes just because I had the first baby?

I know, being nice for the sake of being nice is SO overrated.

sojomisa 12-06-2012 08:46 AM

I'd keep them. My first was a June baby and my third was a December baby. The 6 months I couldn't use the clothes I kept due to the different seasons but by the summer it all worked.

Jedimomma 12-06-2012 08:53 AM

Do what you want with them. They are your baby's clothes, purchased for your baby. If you can make some money to put toward stuff you can use, you should do that. money is tight and toot need to take care of your children before other people's. If there are things you aren't able to sell that your mom could store fit the next baby in the family, that would be great. But you should not feel obligated or guilted into putting everyone else's babies in clothes.

mamamarisa 12-06-2012 09:05 AM

Id sell them, people dress their babies in what they want anyhow. I was givin tons of hand me downs anddidnt use most of them anyways

~happy2Bamommy~ 12-06-2012 10:09 AM

I'd list them on craigslist by the bag or piece.
I sold a ton of my kids stuff that way.

mg5g 12-06-2012 10:51 AM

I'd sell them too. I "recycle" my clothes money. I sell outgrown things to buy the next size. It isn't about being "mean" or "nice" or not it is about taking care of your family. I give away all the worn, slightly stained, older clothes not in fashion - either for rags or to someone who can't afford any clothes. (I've been in that situation and if someone is truly in need, like I was, they won't care if clothes are older or less then perfect as long as they are clean and warm. With my oldest I was given a large bag of slightly stained or torn clothes which was a HUGE blessing!) With our clothes I pick out the best things - and sell them in bundles on craigslist. Clothes don't sell for as much now as they used to used but I can usually get enough to afford to buy someone else's bundle in the next size. Seriously I spend very, very little money on clothes because the same say $50 investment just keeps getting "recycled" by selling and buying and selling again. I do the exact same thing with baby gear. Buy used and sell once we are done with it so I get most of my money back. I consider it "renting" :) I was forced into doing things this way since we had zero storage in our old house but I would never change even now that I have the space. Clothes and baby gear gets musty and can get ruined in storage - I would rather sell it when it still has value then let it get trashed in storage.
ETA- I do buy new carseats and shoes in bigger sizes.

whitneywalters 12-06-2012 11:27 AM

I would sell also.

Keep some special outfits and sell the rest. If you do not want to lend, don't. I lent a lot to people and got very little back and some that I did get back were ruined. I will only lend to people I know will take care of the clothes and if it is special, I keep it.

moms5angels 12-06-2012 11:44 AM

this is what i did for the 0-3 mo clothes. (were done having kids. hubby got the v) they outgrow these really fast so i keep enough mix sex clothes for a whole wardrobe for all seaons in one bin. i do 10-12 outfits, pj, socks, ect... for all seasons. that way im set nomatter what. the extra i get ride of. for 3-6 mo i started having seperate bins by sex. around 9-12mo sizes i keep only 10 outfits for all seasons & from 24mo & up 8 outfits.
its ok to let them go if u dont want them. i dont hold onto them to pass them from person to person. what ever i dont want/use. i give it to somone who can. :)