Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Sharing your food with the kids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470055)

mommabritt 12-06-2012 10:11 AM

Do you share your food? If the kids have been fed and you sit down with your lunch, do they want it?

I do not share my food except for with dd, who is 16 months. My older kids are notorious for eating their food (or not) and then asking for a snack or a bite of mine 5 minutes later. It bugs me but not Dh, he shares.

ETA I allow them to choose how much they eat at mealtime but snacks are at a set time or they would graze all day and never sit to eat a meal. If they choose not to eat, they wait.

cdeweese 12-06-2012 10:23 AM

Re: Sharing your food with the kids

We also have this problem. I do not share my meals (I always sit at the table to eat meals) if I'm eating alone. Like if lunch was super hectic and I didn't get a chance to sit and eat with the kids (I normally eat with them). But my kids will absolutely beg like a dog haha! If its a snack to be shared we all sit together and eat.

joeslittlewoman 12-06-2012 10:26 AM

I share and usually don't mind. Sometimes it gets annoying if I make a smaller portion for myself or have offered them the same food before I sat down.

Hubby does not like to share, but will on occasion.

I feed them as often as they ask, unless they are not eating what they asked for or are literally asking every minute. I could probably structure their meals more for my sanity. Sometimes I feel like my whole life is standing I. The kitchen pouring drinks and prepping food.

keonli 12-06-2012 10:28 AM

We are very flexible in my house. We share food all the time, we snack throughout the day, and we are open to meal suggestions from our DS.

EmilytheStrange 12-06-2012 10:32 AM

We eat at the same time for every meal. And generally the same things, so it's not often an issue. I see dining as a social experience for the family.

For lunches, I do often have something different and yes, I share when she asks. but she knows that if she wants some of my salad or whatever, she will be required to eat a bite of whatever is on her plate.

addicteddad 12-06-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keonli (Post 16012408)
We are very flexible in my house. We share food all the time, we snack throughout the day, and we are open to meal suggestions from our DS.

This is us too.

badmisterkitty 12-06-2012 10:55 AM

Yes, I share. I also usually anticipate that they'll want some and make enough extra.

HeatherlovesCDs 12-06-2012 11:06 AM

I almost always feed them lunch and breakfast before I eat or my food is cold and has to wait anyway because I'm too busy helping them to eat it. They always want some of what I have if it is different than theirs.

We are like you. I don't usually share, my husband usually does. Though, he is starting not to. I won't share with my kids because I have 5 small kids (6, but one is only 7wks). If I share with one, they all want some. Then, I end up with nothing left. :( This is what my husband is learning too. :giggle:

The other reason I am extra strict about it now is because our family is very prone to strep throat in the last couple of years. I always seem to get it with the kids. So, I try to avoid sharing germs as much as possible, especially during the winter, but we get it in the summer too so even then.

ETA - We eat dinner as a family most nights. If I feed the kids separate from us, we eat after they go to bed so we can eat in peace. It's like our date night. :wub:

Shimpie 12-06-2012 11:13 AM

I share with the exception of spicy food. I love spicy food. If I tell DD something on my plate is spicy, she won't touch it. I have been guilty of telling DD that a slice of cheesecake was spicy. :giggle2:

Gerdgrid 12-06-2012 11:15 AM

I share. Honestly, it irritates me - I don't like to share :giggle: but I try to think of it as my new portion control program :goodvibes: