Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   S/O How many toys do you think is just enough? How many is too few? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470087)

harmoni247 12-06-2012 10:06 AM

S/O How many toys do you think is just enough? How many is too few?

I'm like the other poster in wondering when I should stop purging toys. I think I'd always feel like I had too many. :giggle:

Can you list ALL the toys you have? Every.single.one? Do you think you have too many/just enough/too few? I feel like they play with everything, but when I list it ALL out, it seems like a lot!

Here's our list:

-word/letter puzzle
-number magnet
-abacus
-writing/lined paper/pencil/eraser/sharpener
-cloths/playsilks for fort
-clips for fort
-wooden tractor
-wooden helicopter
-2 wooden boats
-3 wooden cars
-3 finger skateboards
-playscape items: 6 people, 7 animals (that we can find), 5 trees, 2 mushrooms, 1 lake, 1 big piece of grass felt, 1 night sky, 1 sun
-abc blocks
-3 puppets
-dress up clothes: 3 baseball caps, cape, dragon, crown, pirate hat, 3 swords, mardi gras necklaces
-anatomy puzzle
-games: jenga, memory game, bingo game, checker
-Art: roll of brown kraft paper; 8 stamps; 1 chalk ; a billion crayons; 8 paint colors/4 brushes/3 smocks; tape; glue; 3 scissors; 3 embroidery hoops/thread/needles; 2 jars full of wool/felting needles; pipe cleaners; acorn tops; buttons; ribbon scraps
-big book for dried leaves
-globe
-gardening: 3 shovels/3 garden gloves/3 bug jars
-outdoor vehicles: 1 trike/1 balance bike/1 scooter
-outdoor toys: 1 bubble/1 soccer ball/1 football
-Play kitchen/11 pieces of food/8 pieces of kitchen tools
-30-35 books total
-3 dolls/3 stuffed animals
-instruments: guitar, big djembe, 2 mini djembes, 3 shakers, tambourine type thing, slide whistle, train whistle

All this is after purging! It seems like sooo much in list form. It makes me want to get rid of more, but I don't want them to have too little.

Can you share your unabridged list?

ETA: forgot their train tracks, 7 trains, an art model guy (those wooden, pose-able things), small broom, small mop

happyhats 12-06-2012 04:35 PM

Re: S/O How many toys do you think is just enough? How many is too few?

Well, right now my kids have quite a bit of toys but thats because we just moved into a place where we can have a playroom. We have relaxed quite a bit because of that.

We have a tub of blocks, a tub of misc little people type toys, a small bucket of play food, a light up drum, a small guitar, two walking dragons, a shape sorter, a play computer, a play kitchen, a table and chairs, a catipiilar shaped rocker, a bike fir dd, two other ride on toys that could stay outside but we live in an apartment, and a closet dedicated to play clothes. In their bedroom they have a rocker and a tiy box with stuffies.

I am going to hide the rocker, some stuffies, and the dragons tonight to see if we can purge them.

happyhats 12-06-2012 04:35 PM

Oh, i forgot our tote of trains abd carsm lol.

ARogers 12-06-2012 04:42 PM

I would have to come back because I can't think of every single toy we have. But since we moved out of our house we no longer have a playroom. So the LO's toys are in the bedroom closet. I have one of those cheap 3 drawer plastic containers and all toys MUST fit in there. If it doesn't fit we have to get rid of it or something else to make it fit. The drawers are no where near full. The kids actually prefer playing with items that aren't toys (our shoes, purses, boxes etc.). I do plan on getting them an easel from Ikea for Christmas. It won't fit in the drawers, but it does fold flat.

KiltedKingdom 12-06-2012 04:48 PM

My DH built a set of shelves with boxes that we use to store toys. It has 9 compartments.

In the boxes are:

Legos
Blocks
plastic animals
plastic dinosaurs
stuffed animals (x2)
cars
nerf guns
shape sorters

We have a bunch of puzzles and train tracks that are kept in the closet. They can play with those when their room is clean.

cherylchoo 12-06-2012 05:27 PM

I think I realized you probably can never have too few toys when my kids asked (and they have plenty of toys) the other day if they could have a sock fight with all the dirty socks in the sock hamper

KiltedKingdom 12-06-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherylchoo (Post 16014329)
I think I realized you probably can never have too few toys when my kids asked (and they have plenty of toys) the other day if they could have a sock fight with all the dirty socks in the sock hamper

I agree! My kids LOVE when I help them hang up blankets in their room (like tents) and let them play with flashlights. Indoor Camping!

ACSNMama 12-06-2012 07:12 PM

My 3 probably do have too many toys, but all of them share a room. If they didn't share a room, they would have nearly nothing in their rooms!

I can't list every single toy they have, but I can name most of them.

-Fabric box of wooden toys (Clock, stacking rings, alligator, drum, xylophone)
-Wooden kitchen, cloth foods, wooden tea set, wooden foods
-Large Wooden Unit Blocks
-Legos
-Duplos
-Weebles treehouse
-Dress up clothes
-Small firetruck
-Imaginext toys
-Plastic bin of wooden tracks
-Plastic bin of Trio sets
-Kid Knex
-Quite a few puzzles/games
-2 Baby Dolls (with cradle my Dad built for me as a child)

There are a few other items, but can't think of them now, but this about sums it up. I am going to part with a few other things that we just don't need, but haven't had a chance to sneak them out of their room yet! I do plan to purge more of the puzzles, keep the quality ones, and limit how many overall we should have.

TalkinBoutMyGirl 12-07-2012 12:51 AM

I know DD has too many and this is after purging. I just don't know what else I can get rid of. I feel like as soon as I get rid of something she asks for it. She is VERY sentimental and remembers everything and I don't want to break her poor little soul. I think I am already giving her a complex or something because if she sees something out of place she begs me not to "sell" it...she thinks anything not where it should be is something I am giving away or selling :(

Strider bike
Scooter
2 tricycles (one is leaving soon)
a baby ride on toy that just hasn't made its way out of here
3 board games
tons of books
play kitchen with every accessory known to man
fisher price doll house with every room of furniture
play clothes and accesories
doll high chair
doll "travel system"
ironing board and iron
bilibo
crap ton of stuffed animals
one of those shelves with bins full of random toys

She is getting for Christmas....
a bike
lala loopsy
jake and the neverland pirate ship and accessories
stompeez (2 pairs..don't ask)
harmonica (2..don't ask)
movies galore

Yeah..I am doing really bad. I know there is more in her closet that I can't even think about. But really there is plenty of room in her bedroom/closet for all this stuff so I am not THAT concerned about it. I do plan to do some more organization in her room and make her bookshelf more accessible to her. She honestly never plays with anything...don't know why we even have it all *sigh*

marliah 12-07-2012 05:48 AM

Anna, one of my sons is the same way! He wants to keep everything. What I have been doing lately is involving him in the process. Talking to him about how nice it is to have space and for everything to have a proper place, and how there is more time to play of we arent always having to clean things and fix things. He has a hard time still but is learning to let things go. Also just yesterday we settled in a we rule, anything new coming into the house can only come in as something else leaves. Well this boy is so silly! He found a small race car track at goodwill and told me he would trade a broken board game for it :giggle: I didn't know we were holding on to broken things! I'm going to have to look through stuff more carefully. Apparently this game was unusable but he still wanted to keep it.

Anyway sometimes it helps to involve them in the process ;) he sometimes encourages me to let go of things I think I need too.