Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   How to help my 13 yr old fall asleep? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470101)

american_mommy 12-06-2012 10:46 AM

How to help my 13 yr old fall asleep?

I was reading the melatonin thread so thought I would start a new one with my question.
My 13 yr old dd has never been a great sleeper. But since she turned into a teenager it has gotten even worse. she will not fall asleep at night and part of it is her fault but she also told me she can't fall asleep. She has a bit of OCD and obsesses on things, thinking about them. I have given her a homeopathic remedy(Rescue Sleep) and it used to help her, it just helps calm the mind, but it doesn't seem to be working anymore.
Someone suggested melatonin but I am very hesitant to try it. And after reading one of the posts in the other thread I am more hesitant.
She has gotten to where she is affecting her 11 yr old sister who she shares a room with. They both stay up talking or playing around and won't go to sleep so they are exhausted the next day. Oldest gets super moody and 11 yr old has tantrums when she is overtired.
I just don't know what to do. Separating them isn't an option. DD knows she needs to be sleeping but she just won't. She is so tired she is extremely moody and gets sick more often. Any thoughts?

Superblonde Mom 12-06-2012 10:56 AM

Re: How to help my 13 yr old fall asleep?

Can you have the 11 year old go to bed a little earlier than the 13 year old, so that she is already asleep when the 13 year old goes to bed?

I have an almost 3 year old, 4 1/2 year old, and almost 8 year old who share a room (their choice, they could each have their own rooms), and sometimes we have this problem too - although it sounds as if the issue with your 13 year old may benefit from some medical advice. Have you asked a doctor about it?

We play music in our girls' room at night, and make sure that they have enough night lights. I also find that if their day includes physical activity, and a limited amount of sugar, they go to sleep more easily. If they are too noisy for too long, I start to threaten that I will take the most offending person out of the room to sleep by herself for the evening (I make sure to follow through immediately). I don't have to follow through very often, because they know I mean business.

Another thought is to perhaps try some sort of relaxation routine. Maybe do a few yoga moves with her at night? Give her a little relaxation massage? Have her read a little before bed?

Those are my thoughts. Hope something here is helpful for you.

american_mommy 12-06-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superblonde Mom (Post 16012741)
Can you have the 11 year old go to bed a little earlier than the 13 year old, so that she is already asleep when the 13 year old goes to bed?

I have an almost 3 year old, 4 1/2 year old, and almost 8 year old who share a room (their choice, they could each have their own rooms), and sometimes we have this problem too - although it sounds as if the issue with your 13 year old may benefit from some medical advice. Have you asked a doctor about it?

We play music in our girls' room at night, and make sure that they have enough night lights. I also find that if their day includes physical activity, and a limited amount of sugar, they go to sleep more easily. If they are too noisy for too long, I start to threaten that I will take the most offending person out of the room to sleep by herself for the evening (I make sure to follow through immediately). I don't have to follow through very often, because they know I mean business.

Another thought is to perhaps try some sort of relaxation routine. Maybe do a few yoga moves with her at night? Give her a little relaxation massage? Have her read a little before bed?

Those are my thoughts. Hope something here is helpful for you.

Putting the 11 yr old to bed earlier used to help. She has gotten to where she plays around goofing off too. I have 5 kids so I am not there 100% of the time because the girls room is in the basement and I often have a 2 yr old who won't stay in bed. So when he is finally asleep I do go down and sit in the livingroom there to make sure they are quiet.
DD loves reading, in fact too much sometimes becasue she sneaks flashlights to read by. she does use her cell phone for white noise and I think that helps her sleep. I know she has a hard time just relaxing at bedtime so maybe something like yoga would help. i am willing to try anything!

PoshPants 12-06-2012 11:49 AM

have you tried melatonin?

tallanvor 12-06-2012 12:44 PM

I would question how much stuff she's doing on her cell phone. My daughter likes to use her iPod for music at night, or to read for a few minutes, but she always ends up messaging friends or playing a game instead, so we had to start a rule that at bedtime it's put in the living room. She's allowed an audio book or music in the cd player, but nothing that has more options.

More physical activity during the day would probably help, as well. Yoga or some sort of deep breathing/meditation could help with calming her thoughts, as well.