Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Bottle before bed - almost 21 month old (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470116)

Kabuki24 12-06-2012 11:42 AM

Bottle before bed - almost 21 month old

Anyone else out there with a toddler this age that still has a bottle before bed? Every night, we snuggle up together in the rocking chair, I hand him his bottle, he says "all done" when he's done and hands it to me. I lay home down cover him up and he is content and goes to sleep. I'm not planning on changing our routine anytime soon, but I was just wondering if there is anyone else out there with a routine with a toddler this age or older?

luvsviola 12-06-2012 12:00 PM

Re: Bottle before bed - almost 21 month old

At 18 months, our pediatrician strongly encouraged us to cut out the nighttime bottle. We changed it to a sippy of ice water, which she can then take to bed with her.

mommy2sammy 12-06-2012 12:27 PM

Yes. We just recently changed to a sippy of water to take with her, since we have very dry heat and she was getting thirsty at night. Dd is 26 months. Ds was close to 3...he didn't take to the cup as well, also didn't have the Thirsties that dd seems to have ;-)

Nerissa 12-06-2012 12:30 PM

how sweet--love those night cuddles.

We transitioned to a cup of water at about 14 months with both boys that they took to bed with them. That lasted till they were each close to three.

me_just_me 12-06-2012 12:31 PM

I'd just make sure and brush his teeth before you lay him down.

EmilytheStrange 12-06-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by me_just_me (Post 16013118)
I'd just make sure and brush his teeth before you lay him down.

this is my only concern.

other than that - enjoy the cuddles!

Kabuki24 12-06-2012 02:03 PM

Hmm.. yeah brushing his teeth before bed probably won't happen. We literally have to all get together and brush our teeth and tell him how cool it is and what a good boy he is, etc... that's a whole other issue. How to get a toddler to brush his teeth?

cdbmama 12-06-2012 02:12 PM

I had this w/DD who now is 3.5. when we went to the dentist when she just turned 2 I admitted to the dentist that she still had a bottle to go to sleep. the dentist told her, no more bottles when you go to bed. that night she looked at me before bed and said "dr said no more baba" and that was it. Hoping that the same thing will work with DS who is now 19mos. LOL. try it, it can't hurt.

EmilytheStrange 12-06-2012 02:55 PM

toothbrushing has never been up for debate here, so I don't know.

I have had to brush her teeth while she's been screaming bloody murder a few times here recently when she was overtired and didn't want them brushed. but it's not an option - the teeth get brushed.

she does have her own toothbrush that she can hold and chew on and 'brush' with. and she has had blinking light toothbrushes and singing toothbrushes and toothbrushes with kitties (she loves kitties). Sometimes we brush her bear's teeth or another animal she has with her. She pretends to brush our teeth and she asks to help me brush my teeth, which means she yanks on the brush a few times and feels proud of herself.

Kabuki24 12-06-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange (Post 16013738)
toothbrushing has never been up for debate here, so I don't know.

I have had to brush her teeth while she's been screaming bloody murder a few times here recently when she was overtired and didn't want them brushed. but it's not an option - the teeth get brushed.

she does have her own toothbrush that she can hold and chew on and 'brush' with. and she has had blinking light toothbrushes and singing toothbrushes and toothbrushes with kitties (she loves kitties). Sometimes we brush her bear's teeth or another animal she has with her. She pretends to brush our teeth and she asks to help me brush my teeth, which means she yanks on the brush a few times and feels proud of herself.

They always get brushed, but not right before bed. Usually in the morning, I admit. It consists of us chasing him down, trying to make it a game, and on and on and on. He used to love to do it, but now that he says NO and knows the meaning, its just such a fight!