Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Osocozy staydry prefolds not absorbing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470138)

CaryHaven 12-06-2012 01:22 PM

Osocozy staydry prefolds not absorbing

Does anyone else have these? I have washed several times and still find that they will cause leaking out the legs. When I open the cover, I find that the prefold is barely wet at all.

penguinande 12-06-2012 01:43 PM

Re: Osocozy staydry prefolds not absorbing

Do you think they might be repelling? Mine did for a while, so I stripped with RLR and that solved the problem. They've been very absorbent since then.

CaryHaven 12-06-2012 01:49 PM

They're pretty brand new (bought BF). Would they be repelling right off? Sorry, what's RLR?

penguinande 12-06-2012 01:55 PM

Mine were actually pretty new when I found that they were repelling. I've got no idea what caused it - I don't think it was my wash routine. RLR is sold in individual packets and can be used for stripping detergent and mineral buildup. A lot of online diaper retailers carry it. I've only used it the one time, but it did fix my problem.

Pixi6s 12-06-2012 02:49 PM

If they are new did you wash them the correct number of times? I have read that with prefolds you would wash them with full strength detergent (doesn't need to be diaper friendly) 5+ times. Then rinse them good before using them as diapers.

Are they bleached or unbleached? Did they fluff up good after prepped? When you prepped did you dry between washes? If you dump a small amount of water on them to they absorb it? Do your covers have good elastic?

http://www.jilliansdrawers.com/produ...indianprefolds
Because unbleached cotton retains its natural oil, it's important to remove this waxy outer fiber layer before
using them for the first time. We recommend washing them with hot sudsy water and drying them in the dryer at least three times before their first use. (That's wash - dry - wash - dry - wash - dry). To test if they're ready to use, make a pocket in the diaper and pour half a cup of water into it. If the water is not readily absorbed, then they should be washed and dried more.

We recommend washing your prefolds by themselves
during this break-in period. This will reduce pilling and
prevent the oils from the unbleached prefolds from coating other diapers, causing them to repel water, rather than absorb it.

penguinande 12-06-2012 03:04 PM

The stay-dry prefolds are bleached and have a layer of suedecloth. For me, it was the suedecloth that was repelling, while the cotton side was absorbent.

TrennaII 12-06-2012 04:35 PM

Could be your LO wets too quickly. Synthetic stay dry tops don't absorb quickly enough for all babies. You might need to keep cotton against the skin, if a strip doesn't work.

CaryHaven 12-06-2012 05:15 PM

I only washed them a couple times before using them. I can't seem to find RLR anywhere with free shipping, and I'd hate to pay more for shipping than the actual stuff. I thought about washing them another time or two or just going straight to Dawn since I heard people use that to strip, but I don't know how much to put in. They didn't look as fluffy as my econobum or osocozy unbleached cotton prefolds, but I assumed since they were bleached and had the stay dry, they'd look different anyway. My covers are excellent. They do not absorb water when I pour a small amount on them. As for quick wetting, she's just over two months and I've not had problems with my cotton, but only on these and one other pocket dipe. The other fleece items have been fine. It's certainly upsetting to think that the reason I bought them (staydry) is the reason they might not work. I hope it's just a "need to strip" issue.

penguinande 12-06-2012 06:11 PM

Mine aren't as fluffy as my other prefolds, even after going through 20ish washes, but they do work great. Does sewcraftybaby still have free shipping? I think they carry RLR.

jills_mama 12-06-2012 09:40 PM

We love osocozy's stay-dry prefolds but the suede cloth is sensitive to build-up. RLR should do the trick!