Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Is more time off ok? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470145)

jesajane 12-06-2012 12:32 PM

Is more time off ok?

It's been a few weeks since I've been here, so please forgive me if someone recently asked this.

This is my first year hs my daughter who is in first grade. I also have twin almost 2 year olds at home with us. And my son is in public school.

I am totally struggling right now. I feel like we need a break but we just took a Thanksgiving break. The whole family is getting over illnesses and everyone is just tired. t.i.r.e.d. (She is 6 and is working on a 3 hour nap today.)

Would it be really bad for my daughter, academically, if we took more time off? Sometimes I think a week would be long enough, sometimes it feels like we should skip until Christmas.

I know we could do school work on Saturdays to make up the time. And we could abbreviate some of our scheduled time off, too.

But, would she lose too much of what she has learned up until now?

It isn't really her schooling that is the problem. It's everything else. I guess the schooling seems the most flexible and everything else is time sensitive and trying to be priority #1.

I don't know what to do???!!! We did school this week but sometimes I wonder why. We barely got anything done.

Thanks for the input.

tallanvor 12-06-2012 12:46 PM

Re: Is more time off ok?

At that age, it's fine. They remember so much. Start adding school back in when you're ready.

Resellmybelle 12-06-2012 01:00 PM

I know a family that home schools and they do so much with church and family thru the month of December that the father takes the whole month off work and the mother ceases homeschooling the kids. The month is full of life enrichment opportunities for learning and becomming closer as a family and closer spiritually.

Do what works for your family, think outside the traditional schedule if you have the opportunity to swing it.

I miss homeschooling my DH, she is in ps now since 5th. We are considering doing it again someday.

croark 12-06-2012 01:07 PM

We take the whole month of Dec off......

Kiliki 12-06-2012 01:11 PM

I don't think it is a big deal to take a little time off.

But, personally, I feel like I'm failing majorly if I let more than one or two days go by without doing ANYTHING.

Could you just switch over to some easier stuff for a while until you feel up to tackling the more complex parts?

For example - right now, my DD is in a virtual public school. Well, they are totally screwing up with her. She has completed all of her 1st semester work, but the second semester doesn't become available until Jan 10th. So until then, we have NOTHING to do. And they made a royal stink about opening it up "early" for her... So we'll likely just pull her out and do our own thing b/c she needs more challenge, and they aren't willing to provide what she needs....

Anyway, sorry that got long. My point is, we have nothing by way of curriculum. So, I went to the library today and checked out some books. She read to me - just one book, but I made sure it was a challenge - and then we watched a movie about hyenas and then one about squirrels. She is now taking a nap, and when she wakes up, I'll have her write a couple sentences about hyenas or squirrels (whichever she chooses). And that will be her schooling for the day.

So, today, we did reading, reading comprehension, science, and writing. But it wasn't that much work at all.

There are also things like ixl.com or starfall.com that have fun, interactive learning activities that the kids can do on their own. I know it's "screen time" and some ppl are opposed, but if you can do something like that with them for just a short time each day and discuss it, that would be an easy way to keep her moving, but not feel like you are doing a ton of work when everyone is sick. Educational vids are great, too!

Ultimately, taking one (or two or three) weeks off will not harm her, IMO. You do what you gotta do!

:hugs: I hope everyone in your family gets well again soon and things can get back to normal for you all!!

HeatherlovesCDs 12-06-2012 01:45 PM

My oldest is in 1st grade. We school year round just for this reason. I have 6 kids who are 7 to 7wks including 2 sets of twins (4 year olds and 2 year old). We need breaks sometimes and sometimes we need long breaks. So, we school year round to allow for a relaxed schedule and more overall time to complete each grade level or curriculum. We took off 6wks in Sept and Oct when I was very pregnant and then had him. We are taking off this week. We may take off the rest of the month. I haven't decided yet.

When I say take off, I mean take off completely. I don't worry one little bit about any schooling when we take off. We read if we want to and do crafts if we want to, but it isn't something I purpose to do or need to do in order to feel like we got something done, KWIM? So, we really do take off.

My son has never had an issue with any prolonged time off, not this year and not last year either. We did the same thing last year, taking off big chunks of time.

Your daughter will be just fine. You may even find the time off to be refreshing for both of you. I know for us by the time our 6wk break was coming to an end in Oct, we were SO ready to get back to school. My kids were asking when we were going to start again. I only took off 2wks after the baby was born because I was so ready to get going again. It really was a good time off for all of us and we were eager to get going again.

Enjoy your time off!!

(BTW - With toddler twins, you need to gentle with yourself. We get our work done, but I'm relaxed about it because HS'ing with little kids around, especially twins (2 sets for me!), is tough and can be stressful. Try not to let it get to you and take breaks as needed for everyone's sanity. :))

my2sweets 12-06-2012 03:46 PM

This is the reason we hs all yr around :D The girls finished up their material for the school yr the wk of thanksgiving. We havent done school since. It's hard for me to make it up our old steep farm house stairs to the school room and sitting in the chair I have up there got uncomfortable so we'll pick back up after the baby comes(dec 14). Im thinking early-mid Jan. It wont matter in the end. We'll make it up over the summer :goodvibes:

kannondicarpo 12-06-2012 03:54 PM

We've taken quite a bit of time off -- the last few weeks of my pregnancy followed by the few weeks following the birth of our little guy, then the week of Thanksgiving. We aren't quite back into the swing of things but our goals are being met and I am willing to go "long" or year round if need be. This is why I love HSing. We were able to transition when our little guy came and we can take it easy when everything else is needing attention. I'm rambling but I'm meaning to say that I think it will be just fine. When we do "nothing" I just give them a packet to work on for the day.

jesajane 12-06-2012 04:29 PM

Thanks, guys. I am soooo encouraged by this. I was feeling like I wanted to send her back to school. Like I couldn't do this. But knowing it really is ok to take a break is very reassuring.

We are just doing the basics right now. Basically reading and math. The only "extra" is that I'm trying to finish the pilgrim history with her. Yeah, pilgrims in December. And I try to get her watercolor painting out so she has art class, but really it helps me when she is occupied for half an hour.

Again, thank you. I'm afraid of letting her down and failing her in this endeavor. It's good to hear the voices of experience.

*KaiMom* 12-09-2012 09:49 PM

Our last day of school, until after the new year, is this Wednesday. I wouldn't worry too much about it.