Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Special Needs (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   My Autistic child will not stay in his carseat... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470186)

Aub's 12-06-2012 02:28 PM

My Autistic child will not stay in his carseat...

OK so I know I am not on much but I am trying, we don't have internet now and I have to go to the library. We just got a diagnosis for our son and now he's a SN child. He's Autistic, we are really trying to get a handle on it and come to grips with the diagnosis. I mean we figured that was what was going on but at the same time it's quite a shock when it is told to you. I am going to try to get on here more often cause I could use some support but I do need some help right now:thumbsup:

Does anyone know of a car seat for special needs children that will not stay in their seats? Ezra will NOT stay in his seat at all, he pushes the chest clip all the way down to the buckle and then gets his arms out and that is how he sits in his seat till I have to pull over and put him back in only to have him out again before I am even back in the car. I am at my wits end and don't know what to do.

The school suggested putting duct tape on the chest clip to keep it in place but I know that is not safe so I don't want to do that. I guess I am looking for a chest clip that is interchangeable that will lock in place so it can't be slid down or a new car seat. He's starting to outgrow his seat any-ways so we are going to have to be buying a new seat soon. I am open to anything really as long as he's safe in the car. I would still like for him to be rear facing if at all possible but he's reaching the end of that cause his height. He's 36lbs and 37inches tall. Thank you all so much if you can help!!!

shortcake2386 12-06-2012 02:32 PM

Re: My Autistic child will not stay in his carseat...

get the sticky back velcro and put the rough side on the chest clip. it wont ruin anything but the feel of it should discourage him:thumbsup: we did this with the autistic boy i nannied. im actually about to do it with my non-sn 2 year old bc he does the same thing:/

mekat 12-06-2012 10:18 PM

I don't know how old he is but you could use this vest with this buckle guard. I had to a use a similar vest for my son when he was five and had a healing incision in his spinal column (in our case we used it because he had to lay flat in the car. He couldn't be upright until the incision healed enough the cerebral spinal fluid wouldn't leak out).

Aub's 12-08-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mekat (Post 16015324)
I don't know how old he is but you could use this vest with this buckle guard. I had to a use a similar vest for my son when he was five and had a healing incision in his spinal column (in our case we used it because he had to lay flat in the car. He couldn't be upright until the incision healed enough the cerebral spinal fluid wouldn't leak out).

Does that make it so that he's out of the carseat though? That would scare me seeing as he's still so young and so small.

Aub's 12-08-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortcake2386 (Post 16013626)
get the sticky back velcro and put the rough side on the chest clip. it wont ruin anything but the feel of it should discourage him:thumbsup: we did this with the autistic boy i nannied. im actually about to do it with my non-sn 2 year old bc he does the same thing:/

I will give that a go, thank you:thumbsup:

MDever 12-08-2012 02:22 PM

First, I just wanted to give a :bighug: finding out that you have a special needs child is so difficult.

That is tough spot for the car. My BFF has two children with autism and the older one was so hard in the car. I don't have any great advice other than stopping right away and fixing the straps as many times as it take which could be MANY:hugs: I just wanted to mention that she needed her DD to be in a harness for as long as possible so she bought the Britax Regent which has now been replaced by the Frontier 85. That would give you the longest harness use without getting into special needs seats that are $$$$$.

moms5angels 12-08-2012 02:25 PM

will this work? http://www.mypreciouskid.com/car-seat-safety-clip.html

Aub's 12-08-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDever (Post 16020474)
First, I just wanted to give a :bighug: finding out that you have a special needs child is so difficult.

That is tough spot for the car. My BFF has two children with autism and the older one was so hard in the car. I don't have any great advice other than stopping right away and fixing the straps as many times as it take which could be MANY:hugs: I just wanted to mention that she needed her DD to be in a harness for as long as possible so she bought the Britax Regent which has now been replaced by the Frontier 85. That would give you the longest harness use without getting into special needs seats that are $$$$$.

Thank you so much, I needed that :cry: this has been so hard. I have no one to talk to about this and am in the house with him all the time. I never get a break other than coming to the library for an hour a week. I am just so stressed out and then this only adds to it all.

I am going to check out the seats you mentioned cause I looked up a special needs seat and it was so much I almost passed out. I think $1,000 for a car seat is crazy, especially for a family with a SN child.

moms5angels 12-08-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDever (Post 16020474)

the last time i knew britax regent dose have the highest in weight for harness but the britax frountier 85 is the higest in hight. so the frountier will last longer then the britax. unless thngs have changed then plz correct me if im wrong. my son who has autism & is tall got to the age of 8 be we had to swich him into hbb mode. :)

i want to send u :hugs: mama. my oldest son has autism & i understand its a rought road. if u need to talk or have questions. feel free to contack me. if u need to talk to somone let me know & ill give u my home # :hugs:

Aub's 12-08-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moms5angels (Post 16020486)

OMG I think that just may do the trick, I think I am going to have to get one and give it a go. Thank you so much :lostit: