Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   How nuch do you spend? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470196)

BeccaSueCongdon 12-06-2012 03:02 PM

How nuch do you spend?

How much do you typically spend on curriculum? I'm a little overwhelmed by the options and it seems like its comparable in cost to private school.

tallanvor 12-06-2012 03:18 PM

Re: How nuch do you spend?

I think I spent $500 this year for my three kids (7th grade, 4th grade, and kindergarten). I saved some by being able to reuse things for the younger ones. I could've gone cheaper, but we had the money and I like what we chose.

You can homeschool for very little, but it sometimes requires more work on your part.

HeatherlovesCDs 12-06-2012 03:33 PM

We must live in two VERY different areas as far as cost of living. :giggle: In my area $5000/year/1 child is the lower end of what you would expect to pay for private. I couldn't spend that if I tried.

That said, I don't put much thought into how much I spend. :blush: I just buy what I feel we need for the lowest cost I can find (usually new). I do compare prices when thinking about which curriculum to choose, but it isn't a big concern of mine and really only comes into play if I feel two programs are pretty equal. Then, I'll go for the less expensive. We don't have a yearly budget.

But a rough estimate of this year (1st) would be about $250 for just him, maybe $300 if you include siblings. I do expect that to go up as he gets older. Even next year, I expect it will be more like $350. Then, after 2nd it will go up another $50 or so (we use MFW and plan to continue). So, for elementary and middle, I expect it to top out at between $400 and $500. I have no clue about high school.

However, the kids behind him should be a lot less because they will only need the consumables if we stick with the same curriculum for them, which I do intend to but we'll see. They will also all use the same core. So, the main portion of what I buy for my olders, I'll be using with all the kids who are schooling at the same time. I don't plan to spend that amount for all the kids each year. That plus maybe $50 - $75 more per extra student. I have 6 kids total. I think at some point I might be spending close to $1000 or so per school year for all my kids. But, that is still no where near the $5000 PER kid for private around here.

That was long winded and rambling. I hope I answered your question. :)

HMinshall 12-06-2012 03:52 PM

Not including outside lessons/classes (my kids enjoy sports, taekwondo, dance and will start piano soon)....between $400-500 for the year for 2 kids.

tibeca 12-06-2012 03:53 PM

After playing around with curriculum, we finally settled on horizons phonics ($30 used), Saxon math (new $40) and HWT (used/new $20). Total $90. That's our core for my preschooler (she is working at a first grade level). I allowed about $150 for books and art projects. She also has ballet (about $300 for the year) and Chinese language school ($300 for the year). Both of those are of course optional and things we would have paid even if she went to PS.

my2sweets 12-06-2012 06:04 PM

About $300-$350 I guess. Honestly I dont really keep track. I buy what I think dd1 needs and things to make my life easier. Dd2 is about to start 1st and I plan on using dd1s old stuff-just get new consumables. I also buy random stuff throughout the yr-school books, reading books, arts and craft stuff, ect and probably spend another $100 easy.

oregonmom 12-06-2012 06:22 PM

Very little. Most of my curriculum is hand me downs or bought second hand for almost nothing. We also get lots of free stuff off the internet. So I think in total for 2 children I spent about $75 on paper, pencils, pens, art supplies, cost of entrance for field trips (though most field trips are to places that are free), and swim lessons

missydawn 12-06-2012 08:54 PM

We spent about $400 for our stuff. Yeah we could have gone cheaper but then again we could have gone more expensive. I really wanted to have a curriculum so that I was sure I was covering what needed to be covered.

AbbieJack 12-06-2012 09:17 PM

Around 300ish

happyhats 12-06-2012 10:10 PM

Im putting aside 500 from my taxes this year but some things I am planning on purchasing will last more than a gear. Im also getting a printer/scanner and laminator with that money.