Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   My first bad WIC experience (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470198)

Rewind_Selector 12-06-2012 04:06 PM

My first bad WIC experience

I read them every time on here and think to myself "where are these people going to do their WIC that they get treated like this?" Well it must be my not so friendly ghetto fab Winn Dixie!
I had my trip perfectly planned to where I could get a weeks worth of groceries for less than $20. Rice, beans, bread, fruits & veggies, cereal, milk. peanut butter and I would only have to buy a couple packs of meat(with coupons). Well they messed that up.
I went to the register ready with my store coupons, manufacturer coupons, and WIC checks. To start they tried to refuse to enter my Winn Dixie rewards card because it was a WIC transaction. That goes against WIC policy. My $20 limit was dependent on the use of my card. I explained to the cashier (who hates me by the way because I follow the WIC rules and sign AFTER the amount is written in as the check says to do) that all stores sales and promotions are to be used for WIC customers too. So she scans it reluctantly. Then comes the real trouble. Cheerios are BOGO free. So I choose one regular cheerios, one caramel cheerios which are both WIC approved. Then I have 2 boxes of honey nut cheerios which are not. If you scan the WIC approved item first then the non WIC it should go through. They don't have their system set right. She called the manager over and even she refused to honor the sale. They kept telling me I can't get because it is not WIC approved. I showed them where it states directly on the back of the check the free items do not have to be WIC eligible. It says it! ON THE CHECK! And the manager still refused to honor it. She said she can't just give stuff away for free. :headscratch: I suggested scanning the WIC approved and letting me take the items I chose. WIC says it's ok but it's just their system not set up to recognize it. Again with the free comment? She very rudely said to just go back and get the right kind. I tried to show her the check and she stood with her arms crossed looking another direction. When I asked for the name of her superior she told me to call the number on the receipt and walked away.
So I caved. Gave up. Relented and let the evil forces win because O was in the store with 3 kids and just wanted to gethome to enjoy the rest of my day off. But it didn't end there. The cashier who was doing my transactions was goin on break so I had to change lanes. The new cashier once again refused to scan my Winn Dixie card. When she did and we got to the cereal (all WIC approved now) she wouldn't scan them as free because all of the boxes together would be over the allowed 36 oz. I started to explain that the free items don't count towards the total amount but I started to get teary eyed and all choked up. So again I gave up.
I will be reporting this to both WIC and the corporate Winn Dixie not that it will do any good.
I did "accidentally" spill an entire bottle of crappy $1 juice product on the floor before we left. Then of course I felt bad after I left thinking someone might slip

harmoni247 12-06-2012 04:15 PM

Re: My first bad WIC experience

Yep, I always gave up. About 95% of my transactions were messed up because the stores "rules" constantly change with each cashier. I really wish Illinois would change to the debit card. I could really use the grocery help, but it's not worth my dignity yet.

ZoeyMakesThree 12-06-2012 04:16 PM

I'm sorry mama : (

kaia.aline 12-06-2012 04:19 PM

You bought a bottle of their juice to dump it on the floor since they were rude to you :headscratch:

Rewind_Selector 12-06-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harmoni247 (Post 16013815)
Yep, I always gave up. About 95% of my transactions were messed up because the stores "rules" constantly change with each cashier. I really wish Illinois would change to the debit card. I could really use the grocery help, but it's not worth my dignity yet.

I asked about it at the WIC office and they said about 3 years they will have it here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaia.aline (Post 16013831)
You bought a bottle of their juice to dump it on the floor since they were rude to you :headscratch:

Of course not! I wouldn't buy anything just to dump on the floor. I'm not rich like that. Hence the reason I am on WIC.

dagmomma 12-06-2012 04:30 PM

Sorry you experienced that. Shopping in general is such a PITA and I am so sorry you had to go through it esp with the kiddos.

misskira 12-06-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rewind_Selector (Post 16013861)
I asked about it at the WIC office and they said about 3 years they will have it here.

Of course not! I wouldn't buy anything just to dump on the floor. I'm not rich like that. Hence the reason I am on WIC.

So you poured out a bottle you didn't buy?:headscratch: I'm sorry you had a bad experience. Not sure how pouring juice on the floor makes you feel better about it.

I would call a manager and get clarification, then go back when that person can help with the check out.

KLeeCW 12-06-2012 04:41 PM

Sorry that happened to you! For us, it was always an issue about how you buy the quantities, i.e. that it is the total amount not the exact. Our checks said we could get 2 gallons of milk. At the WIC office we were told that we could get any sizes to add up to that amount (i.e. 4 quarts and 1 gallon, 4 half gallons, etc.). Everytime we would try to do this, we were given a hard time that the checks said it had to be two gallons. So we'd have to buy two 1 gallon jugs. The same thing would happen with cereal. And trying to add coupons to the mix was just awful. I wish our state had a debit card as well. We just stopped using the service because it became too awful.

KLeeCW 12-06-2012 04:41 PM

I think she's saying the juice was an accident, not intentional, but put it in quotes to be coy.

earthflower 12-06-2012 04:43 PM

Our store doesn't like WIC they keep going on "strike"or something. I'm not sure they can do this but they randomly put up signs they aren't taking WIC every 2-3 mos, they are also the only grocery store in town and they own the health food store next door. So they don't quit WIC forever they'll put up signs saying they aren't and then a week or two later they take it again, happens on and off throughout the whole year.