Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Using different formulas? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470204)

Rewind_Selector 12-06-2012 03:23 PM

Using different formulas?

I have coupons for enfamil. Mostly from Winn Dixie(see other thread about this horrible place lol) I get WIC and here in FL they give good start gentle. As anybody on WIC knows it is enough to cover most but not all of what is needed for the month. And every time I use the checks they give me enfamil coupons for $8 off and $5 off which are pretty nice dicounts. Plus I have yet to get any Good Start coupons even though I look for them and even signed up at Gerber to get some.
My daughter is 9 & 1/2 months. She does not have any tummy issues. She tolerated going from breast to formula without any noticeable problems. She has tolerated all solids she has been given. In just over 2 months according to WIC she needs to go to whole milk. I think she would be ok using both kinds. I probably wouldn't consider it if she were a new baby or younger infant but she seems to have a strong stomach. My question is is it really THAT serious to use different formulas for babies?

I know there is a formula area but this place has more traffic.

ktmelody 12-06-2012 03:28 PM

IMO, no.

We used whatever was cheapest or we had coupons for that week (my first 2 were formula fed) my others were breast fed.

With no tummy issues, or allergies at that age, I say get the best value.

Rewind_Selector 12-06-2012 03:33 PM

Re: Using different formulas?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktmelody (Post 16013867)
IMO, no.

We used whatever was cheapest or we had coupons for that week (my first 2 were formula fed) my others were breast fed.

With no tummy issues, or allergies at that age, I say get the best value.

Thanks for replying! It seems like it will be fine to me too. I didn't know if this were truly one of those die hard rules. I can't remember where i heard this either. I think it may have been from a formula company LOL!

ktmelody 12-06-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rewind_Selector

Thanks for replying! It seems like it will be fine to me too. I didn't know if this were truly one of those die hard rules. I can't remember where i heard this either. I think it may have been from a formula company LOL!

Yup.

The ingredients of formula are almost identical across the board...formula with iron by enfamil is the same as similac etc.

EmilytheStrange 12-06-2012 03:48 PM

I would say that they are most definitely not the same. My daughter's poop on Enfamil was very different from her poop on other formulas - she digested them very differently, they smelled differently, the texture was very different.

that being said, I don't see a problem in you using both. If possible, try to use 2 canisters in a row of the same thing (or more) so that it's less stress on their digestive systems, so I'd start collecting the brands from the coupons.

but it's more an issue if you're going back and forth all day long. But over the course of a canister, I imagine you'll be fine.

Rewind_Selector 12-06-2012 05:28 PM

Well I got one of those large tubs of enfamil today so we'll see how it goes. The morning diaper will tell me.
I have store and manufacturers coupons so I can use both at the same time and get them for $14 each which is less than the cost of the smaller cans. Woo Hoo!

CASMama711 12-06-2012 06:49 PM

We've always switched among brands of formulas with no problems. Most peds will tell you that switching brands should be no problem at all, as long as you're using the same type of formula (don't switch between milk-based, lactose-free, soy-based, etc.)

LaughingPeaMama 12-06-2012 07:32 PM

If you are worried about changing back and forth just mix them together. If you are worried about her being sensitive to one or the other then you need to use them separately. Also I have been using store brand formula with much success so that is an option if you don't have coupons and such

Rewind_Selector 12-06-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaughingPeaMama (Post 16014772)
If you are worried about changing back and forth just mix them together. If you are worried about her being sensitive to one or the other then you need to use them separately. Also I have been using store brand formula with much success so that is an option if you don't have coupons and such

I thought about mixing it as well. I need to see if she can tolerate the enfamil first and then I might do this. Don't want to waste an entire can of what she can use by mixing something in she can't. Then it all has to go out.
I always have coupons because the coupon printer gives me an $8 dollar off store coupon every time I buy the Good Start. Then I get enfamil manufacturer coupons in the mail and the paper.

ktmelody 12-06-2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange
I would say that they are most definitely not the same. My daughter's poop on Enfamil was very different from her poop on other formulas - she digested them very differently, they smelled differently, the texture was very different.

that being said, I don't see a problem in you using both. If possible, try to use 2 canisters in a row of the same thing (or more) so that it's less stress on their digestive systems, so I'd start collecting the brands from the coupons.

but it's more an issue if you're going back and forth all day long. But over the course of a canister, I imagine you'll be fine.

The ingredients of enfamil premium and similac with iron are almost exactly the same. The main ingredients are exactly the same, the less than 2% ingredients are only slightly different. The amount of nutrition is the same as well, i.e. the vitamins and minerals are all within a few points of each other, they have to be since they are FDA regulated.

Obviously there is a difference between enfamil premium and say similac soy....

Again, if the child has no allergies/tummy problems then switching between the same type of formulas is not an issue. I wouldn't switch between soy one week and regular another.