Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Kids books and apps for tablet (non- iPad). (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470248)

Michelle_M 12-06-2012 07:03 PM

Kids books and apps for tablet (non- iPad).

Our speech therapist has a client who is selling a tablet for $50, it's barely used (It was just given to her kids and she decided they didn't need it), anyway, I have a $50 Target Gift card, and she is willing to accept my gift card as payment.

So he (speech therapist) is going to take a good look at it, play with it a bit and make sure it's in perfect condition before handing over my gift card to her (he's very savvy about these things), anyway.. it's going to be our Christmas Present for the boys (2 1/2, 5, 7).

Besides Angry Birds (which would be a MUST here, LOL), what books and apps do you have on your tablet for your kiddos?

Thanks.
God bless!

need some diaps! 12-06-2012 07:09 PM

Re: Kids books and apps for tablet (non- iPad).

Smithsonian has an app with all kinds of shows...our 6 and 3 year old love it!

iris0110 12-06-2012 10:49 PM

My oldest has an app that allows him to watch penguins at the California zoo. We have the amazon app store and I download all kinds of apps from there, educational and just plain games. Both boys love Scamps, Fruit Ninja and Stick fighter but they also play Child What Time, Chess, Checkers, Blots, and Tharen loves touchie books. Most of these apps are free but the touchie books do cost a little (most are between $.99-$1.99).

Nerissa 12-07-2012 04:48 AM

I have a couple memory games, kids connect (connect the dots), ABC phonics game, raceing car games. Ski ball,

I have the kindle app on my tablet and have downliaded a bunch of free kids books

Ijust browse the play store in the freegames section. Some end up being duds si .i just uninstall them and try again.

I have all the kids games/apps on one page so it is easy for them to find.

Michelle_M 12-07-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by need some diaps! (Post 16014681)
Smithsonian has an app with all kinds of shows...our 6 and 3 year old love it!

Thanks so much for the advice!

Quote:

Originally Posted by iris0110 (Post 16015376)
My oldest has an app that allows him to watch penguins at the California zoo. We have the amazon app store and I download all kinds of apps from there, educational and just plain games. Both boys love Scamps, Fruit Ninja and Stick fighter but they also play Child What Time, Chess, Checkers, Blots, and Tharen loves touchie books. Most of these apps are free but the touchie books do cost a little (most are between $.99-$1.99).

Oh gosh my kids would LOVE the penguin app!!! Is that in the Google Play Store (a.k.a. Android Market)?

And thank you for the other suggestions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerissa (Post 16015585)
I have a couple memory games, kids connect (connect the dots), ABC phonics game, raceing car games. Ski ball,

I have the kindle app on my tablet and have downliaded a bunch of free kids books

Ijust browse the play store in the freegames section. Some end up being duds si .i just uninstall them and try again.

I have all the kids games/apps on one page so it is easy for them to find.

Yes I was planning on downloading either the Kindle App or the Nook App (I have a Nook and I'm getting a Kindle for myself when we get our tax refund).
Thanks so much for the suggestions!

God bless!

iris0110 12-07-2012 02:04 PM

I don't know about on android market place, the boys tablets came with the amazon app store and we have stuck with that because there were plenty of apps available. They are all android apps though so they would run on any android tablet (my boys have polaroid tablets). I believe it is fairly simple to download the amazon marketplace app and attach it to your existing amazon account. You can then either lock it on the tablet so your child cannot order apps at all (you would need a pin number to order from the tablet) and you could order from your computer on your own amazon account which I do all of the time and send them directly to my boys or you could just tell them to only download free apps.

The app I mentioned is called Pocket Penguins and it is a free app. Tharen isn't into it but Kearnan enjoys it.

Michelle_M 12-07-2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iris0110 (Post 16017461)
I don't know about on android market place, the boys tablets came with the amazon app store and we have stuck with that because there were plenty of apps available. They are all android apps though so they would run on any android tablet (my boys have polaroid tablets). I believe it is fairly simple to download the amazon marketplace app and attach it to your existing amazon account. You can then either lock it on the tablet so your child cannot order apps at all (you would need a pin number to order from the tablet) and you could order from your computer on your own amazon account which I do all of the time and send them directly to my boys or you could just tell them to only download free apps.

The app I mentioned is called Pocket Penguins and it is a free app. Tharen isn't into it but Kearnan enjoys it.

Yeah I know that there are several app stores you can load onto tablets... I just was trying to figure out a few things to pre-load for them so they can play with it as soon as they open it on Christmas morning.

God bless!