Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   Purging Mode! Whoo, I am loving this! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470249)

ACSNMama 12-06-2012 08:03 PM

Purging Mode! Whoo, I am loving this!

I'll probably never be a true minimalist with bareness everywhere, but I'm so stoked that I've been in purge mode. I grew up around holding onto EVERYTHING, well, almost everything. So, over the last 5 years, we've moved numerous times, and while we already don't own much, we did own a lot of junk. Anything from trinkets I thought were "keepsakes" to drawings I did as a child, and so on. I had already purged a decent amount, but realized I was still holding onto too much.

So far this week, I bagged up a frying pan, a cooker for the stove, wine glasses, kids cups, 3 pairs of jeans, candles I don't like the smell of, mugs, craft supplies I realized I'll never use, a few toys, a few kids clothing items, etc. I have now parted with 3 trash bags full, a large box full, a large basket full (plus donated the basket), a mirror, shoes, etc.

Today I purged more "keepsakes" and was able to fit the few I really wanted to hold onto, into another box. Which in turn, freed an entire plastic bin, which is now full of clothing items and toys of worth to take to Once Upon a Child!! Whatever they don't take, will be donated.

I do have some items I want to sell, considering they are of worth.

I know I still have more to go through, but I seriously feel so good. I can't believe I've been holding onto all this crap. Just while writing this, I have already thought of some more items to be donated that I'll bag up this evening! While I don't post much here in the minimalist forum, I do enjoy reading and getting inspiration!!

rawheid 12-06-2012 08:43 PM

Re: Purging Mode! Whoo, I am loving this!

nice!

crnchy_mama_lala 12-06-2012 11:10 PM

Awesome, mama! Love reading these posts. It's so encouraging to read about all the other moms going through the same thing I am trying to get rid of all our excess stuff.

TalkinBoutMyGirl 12-07-2012 02:19 AM

Way to go! We also did purging this week. SO and I went through my closet and I turned 5 totes of pictures into 3, got rid of a lot of my keepsakes and now have one tote of my old stuff that fits perfectly under DD's bed. I went through all our clothes and sent a bunch to goodwill and tossed some more stuff. I have 3 totes full of stuff to sell. I am loving how easy it is so simplify and organize as things go. There are a million ideas I have going through my head about how to fix this place up and make it fabulous!!

marliah 12-07-2012 06:41 AM

Yay! :thumbsup:

hezdwoody 12-07-2012 08:22 AM

I love purging mode!! Yesterday I dropped off a keyboard, the mircrowave a wood trunk, and a bag of stuff to goodwill. I threw away an old water gun and bird feeder from the garage.

5PrincessMommy 12-08-2012 01:46 AM

that's great! I am in purge mode too! We did a big purge when we moved here in September, because simply I didn't want to move a bunch of junk but it slowly creeps back up between birthdays and such and now it will be christmas x 5 kids= lots of stuff. So, more stuff has to go! I went through my dd's entire wardrobe and got rid of a TON that no longer fits her. Like, seriously a ton. And she still has a ton left. That girl had so many clothes. I went through my 7 year olds clothes and got rid of like 10 things.

moms5angels 12-08-2012 02:30 AM

thats awsome! i also have been in purging mode too the past few days. its soooo freeing to let things go! :D

elizabeth.scalf 12-10-2012 08:46 PM

Good job mama!

ACSNMama 12-11-2012 11:34 AM

I need to do more! I feel like I haven't seen a huge change, even though I've gotten rid of so much, those 3 trash bags, and large box of items didn't really put a dent in our home. Maybe that's also just because we don't have much space. Our apartment is fairly large, considering, but what we have is pretty much needed.

We're looking at possibly buying a house, if we get approved for the loan, we'd like to purchase a house we found that is 2000 sqft. It will be pretty darn empty, and I'd like to keep it that way! In that situation, we will be more of true "minimalists" as we really won't have much. We are a homeschooling family, so I have an extra "school table" that will eventually go in a school room, but for now it's in our living room. I guess we could get rid of it, and do school only at the dining room table. I just might do that, but I enjoy the "school table." I am feeling the urge to take it apart and store it though (it's our former dining table that our family outgrew), it is a nice table, so I have no intentions on getting rid of it, we WILL need it for our next place.

I purchased a dresser from a "friend" but it's not in as good of condition as she made it out to be, it needs to be fixed and I didn't know the "issues" it had until I had already paid her. I'm now trying to re-sell it (disclosing the problems of course). I got rid of a plastic shelving unit when I purchased the dresser from her, and I've now realized, I don't even need the dresser, but I thought I did. So now it sits there empty, taking up space.

So what it comes down to, is I think I've decreased enough, there are a couple of things I'd like to part with, but for the most part, it's more or less an organization issue, like, where do I store my yarn? I think I'm going to give some of my yarn to Good Will, and keep the rest that I am sure I will use for specific crochet projects.

I have a doll bed that I built. It was cheap to build, but a bit of labor. I love the way it turned out. However, I bumped it, and now it needs to be fixed. I like it, but we don't use it, so I guess I'll give it to Good Will? I can always build another in the future right? That alone would free up an entire plastic box, which I could put in the closet until we move out by the end of 2013.