Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Labor, Delivery & Postpartum (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   Castor Oil to help Vbac-any experience? What would you do? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470259)

chassity51 12-06-2012 07:36 PM

Castor Oil to help Vbac-any experience? What would you do?

Hey looking for some input from you all, to make a long story short:
This is #3 for me, first was a great vaginal birth although we had to break my water to get things started. Second was an induction at 10 days past EDD which ended in a csection (dr said my 9lb3oz baby was too big for me). I was hoping for HBAC this time but had some complications at 17 weeks and had to transfer back to my dr. He'll allow me to try for a vbac but I either have to go into labor on my own before my due date (12/17) or attempt to induce me (probably by AROM) so the baby doesn't get too big. He said it's not even worth attempting a vbac if we allow the baby to get as big as the last one. Anyway, not that I agree with everything he says but I've weighed all circumstances and all options at this point and am doing everything possible to go into labor by myself. Which hasn't ever happened. I have one more appointment on Monday to recheck baby's weight and see where we stand, as of last Tues i was 2-3 centimeters dilated and soft. I've discussed with my husband doing castor oil this weekend before my appointment, to see if I can kick my body into labor. I'll be 39 weeks, I know that's still early, it's not about impatience at this point, but I also don't have many options right now. My question is, does anyone have experience with castor oil? using it this early? Would you if you were in my position? Thanks so much! (Also, I really am not looking for advice re. changing drs or anything like that as I've already considered and tried just about everything at this point. :D

EmilytheStrange 12-06-2012 07:53 PM

Re: Castor Oil to help Vbac-any experience? What would you do?

I wouldn't use castor oil in any birthing situation.

what I WOULD try is to get out the breast pump and start pumping both breasts for 15min/every hour to see if it would jump start labor.

but, I believe that nothing like that will start labor unless labor is about to start anyways. And even though the breast pump worked for me, there are ladies on here who say that the moment they stop using it, the contractions stopped, so it wasn't a good solution for them.

and then, of course, sex sex and more sex would be better than castor oil.

good luck to you!

ETA: my friend swears by eating unripe papaya and then I've heard others claim you can eat like 7 whole pineapples in a day and that'll jumpstart labor. DD broke her waters while DH was trying to convince me to buy an unripe papaya in the grocery store.. lol

wordmama 12-07-2012 09:23 AM

So you're using EPO internally and by mouth? I used castor oil with my 2nd when I went 10 days over. It worked (sort of) in that it started my contractions. But my daughter was malpositioned, so we ended up with a c-section anyways. Long story short, the nasty side effects of the castor oil kicked in after my c-section. Not pretty.

If you're determined to use it, rub it on your abdomen instead of ingesting it. The effects will be more mild. And as the PP mentioned, it'll only start labour if your body is already ready to go.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Mack 12-07-2012 09:29 AM

I got my labor going with lots of walking ( faster when i felt contractions) evening primrose oil pills starting 34 weeks (increasing pills each week) and sex the night before i had the baby. I delivered 39+3

After hearing the horrible effects of castor oil on the bowels... no way i would would touch that. That would be horrible during labor and recovery.

doulamomma 12-07-2012 09:34 AM

I wouldn't, especially with a vbac. Imo, with no med issues, a suspected big baby is not a good enough reason for a section. Id schedule then"forget" to show up for it, until I went into labor naturally. Some women just cook kids longer.

Sent from my droid

songbird516 12-07-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doulamomma (Post 16016310)
I wouldn't, especially with a vbac. Imo, with no med issues, a suspected big baby is not a good enough reason for a section. Id schedule then"forget" to show up for it, until I went into labor naturally. Some women just cook kids longer.

Sent from my droid

Yes, what she said. Since labor didn't start on it's own last time, you really don't have a good idea if you would have been able to birth your last baby vaginally. Size alone is not generally an indication unless there are other signs. You need to realize that it's your birth, and as the mother, you take responsibility for what you are able to control. Due dates are not set in stone. Going by the DD wheel my first was born at 41.5 weeks and my second at 42. I ovulate late. But, neither was large. Just because your last one was 9 pounds doesn't mean that that one will be, nor does it mean that her size was what led to the c-section. It's more likely that the induction led to the csection.
A doctor can only "let" you do something if you give him that control. You need to be at peace with whatever happens. If you want a VBAC, your best chance is to let labor start on it's own and to have a supportive care provider. It sounds like this OB is setting you up for failure.

Nickel+3 12-07-2012 01:45 PM

Castor oil worked for me. I took 4 oz and less than 3 minutes later I was in labor with a baby 4.5 hours after that. But my water had already been broken 16 hours when I took it. It was nasty stuff and I had the runs bad!

angelhaiku 12-07-2012 06:03 PM

I used castor oil, and it did work for me... but I've heard a lot of controversy regarding the use of it.

It can cause stress to your baby, which they could inhale their excrement (i forget the term), and also if you're just not ready, you'll get the worst vomiting and runs of your life lol

nettepoet 12-08-2012 12:29 PM

i drank castor oil in OJ with both of my babies and both were born at 41w1d exactly. i didnt have the horrible diarrhea others speak of, and the cramping just kind of joined with my uterine contractions and i couldnt distinguish the two. that being said, i was not a vbac and i do think that perhaps you should be more cautious.

do what the above poster said about applying it to your skin, only soak natural fiber cloths in it, warm them in the microwave, then add a plastic layer on top and put a heating pad on it. i did this *during* my labor with my second when i was no longer progressing and my midwives were talking transfer and c-section. my contractions came back and i pushed my malpositioned little dude out after a really long, really trying labor.

ETA: put the packs on your belly, of course! forgot to mention the obvious.

pharmgirl13 12-08-2012 12:36 PM

I was having a hbac with #2 and had PROM without any contractions. After trying the breast pump and black cohosh, my MW stripped my membranes and I drank castor oil in a milkshake and had my daughter 6 hours later.