Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   How to handle Maternity Leave (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470291)

twinpossible 12-06-2012 09:01 PM

How to handle Maternity Leave

Background: I am a Professor at a university, I teach American Sign Language. People in my profession with the right amount of education are very rare. I am supposed to line up a sub for when I go on maternity leave. I found someone that is a former student of mine and has the qualifications. My work keeps changing the requirements for my sub to apply. This has caused me a TON of stress. I have to keep going back to the gal I want to hire and ask her for more information or paperwork. They got my co-workers involved and now they ALL need to approve of MY sub. They are demanding an interview with her with only DAYS notice and she lives 9 hours away. This all just seems mismashed and not legal at all. It is hard to find any rules or regulations on this matter and I am about to loose it and bite someone's head off. Does anyone have any advice on how to handle this situation?

misskira 12-06-2012 09:12 PM

Re: How to handle Maternity Leave

I guess at that point I would tell them to find their own sub. :dunno: I'm a teacher too, and totally get the stress of making sure your students are in good hands, and that there won't be a mess to clean up when you come back. When I went on leave they hired doozies for me both times. One barely made it through, and went nuts a few weeks later in her next assigmnepment. The next one they had to fire halfway through. which is almost unheard of with teacher unions involved. Both times they ignored who I suggested for their own "best candidate." :rolleyes:

evasimone 12-06-2012 09:34 PM

I would tell them that due to the distance she lives plus the short notice an in person interview was impossible. Then I'd offer a phone inteview or Skype.

I am sorry they are making it so difficult for you.

KaleidoscopeEyes 12-06-2012 09:52 PM

is finding a sub part of qualifying for FMLA?

twinpossible 12-06-2012 10:21 PM

No, I am not taking FMLA. This is for my 6 weeks of paid maternity leave. They tried to make me take a whole semester off but they would only pay me for 6 weeks of that time and we rely on my income. Plus I have a one year contract so they must offer me classes next semester regardless of my pregnancy status.

keonli 12-07-2012 07:35 AM

Do you have a lawyer friend you can consult in regards to the constant changing of rules? It's very fishy to me that they keep changing the requirements.

It should all be stated in your employer handbook, no? The fact that they are making it difficult for you worries me because they might make it difficult for you to return.

canadianbakers 12-07-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keonli (Post 16015878)
Do you have a lawyer friend you can consult in regards to the constant changing of rules? It's very fishy to me that they keep changing the requirements.

It should all be stated in your employer handbook, no? The fact that they are making it difficult for you worries me because they might make it difficult for you to return.

:yeahthat:

It all sounds... just off, not right. It shouldn't be that difficult to take leave - though I can understand them wanting you to find your own replacement, with the position/job you have.

twinpossible 12-07-2012 10:13 AM

I totally agree. I thought I would start here first and then contact my union lawyers if this continues. Honestly, most likely I am not returning. This is our 3rd and we will have 3 under 2 years old so I am going to stay home full time. Of course that all sits on my hubby getting a new job, we are currently looking (fingers crossed). My one year contract is up in May but I get paid through August so I really just need to get through this maternity leave smoothly and then I can cut and run if it is possible. If not I will return for one or two night classes after DH gets home from work.

mom22sofar 12-08-2012 12:50 PM

Are you a tenure track, phd professor? This sounds kind of strange to me, but then again I am in Canada. I have worked in the university for a long time, just finishing off my phd now (I hope). I have never heard of it being the responsibility of the prof to find a replacement for any kind of leave (including sabaticals, etc.). Our maternity leave is quite different here (most take a year), but it is up to the administration to find coverage for staff when they are on leave. I think you have done what you can-provide them the contact information of the interested candidate and wish them well. I would be shocked to find out it was your responsibility.

lynn97 12-08-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinpossible
I totally agree. I thought I would start here first and then contact my union lawyers if this continues. Honestly, most likely I am not returning. This is our 3rd and we will have 3 under 2 years old so I am going to stay home full time. Of course that all sits on my hubby getting a new job, we are currently looking (fingers crossed). My one year contract is up in May but I get paid through August so I really just need to get through this maternity leave smoothly and then I can cut and run if it is possible. If not I will return for one or two night classes after DH gets home from work.

I would contact the union lawyer if you feel that they are trustworthy. Sometimes they are and sometimes they aren't depending on the politics.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum