Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Light boxes? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470320)

mrs_blazen 12-07-2012 12:45 AM

Light boxes?

Does anyone have a light box for their kids? I want to get one because I think DS would really like it. He really enjoys the sensory activities and I love the light box ideas I see online. Sooo... I guess I'm wondering If I can use one of the tracing light boxes for these activities? I find them a lot cheaper than the ones advertised for sensory play activities. Or another cheaper alternative? Any advice would be great! TIA!

irishdancemomma 12-07-2012 07:19 AM

You can make one. Use a clear container and put Christmas lights inside. Use a piece of parchment paper in the top to distribute the light more evenly.

mrs_blazen 12-07-2012 07:54 AM

Ohh that's a good idea and I have all the stuff for that already! Thanks a bunch! :goodvibes:

bluedaisyma 12-07-2012 10:02 AM

Re: Light boxes?

I took a bunch of ideas from pinterest and put them together. I took a 12 x 12 scrabook paper container that I already had and lined the top with a cereal bag (free wax paper!) and the sides with foil. I had a small strand of white on white wire Christmas lights. The cord fits out the back hinge without needing to make a hole in the box. The I took the top off another of the containers so that it has a lipped lid for messy projects. I didn't have to buy a thing except some water beads- $2 for like 10 pkgs on amazon, free ship!

mrs_blazen 12-07-2012 04:51 PM

Well I thought I had the stuff for it... I need more parchment paper and foil. I'm using a large rectangular plastic tub so both of the kiddos can play on it with fighting over space. I guess it will wait until tomorrow. Thanks for the ideas mamas! :)

mrspopo 12-07-2012 05:56 PM

I'd like to make a more permanent DIY one, but for now we're fine (baby is only 1 so she really doesn't care). For simplicity's sake we have a under-the-bed plastic tupperware that we flip upside down. And we put a string of Christmas lights from the dollar store. So cheap and simple, and cleans up well. We flip over the bin for messy projects too. But we'll definitely want a bigger/taller arrangement soon.

I like the DIY one they have on PAHM because they designed it to have a changeable top surface. Peg board for light brites, blacklights for neon fun, dry erase board, plain white surface for building, glued lego bases for legos, chalk board, etc... This is my dream!

mrs_blazen 12-07-2012 11:22 PM

Oh I love the PAHM one too!! I've been drooling over it for awhile! We're moving again in a few months so the plastic bin one will be perfect for now. After our move, I'll be working on something bigger/more permanent.