Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Green Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   No-Shampoo...just started! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470339)

ParamedicMama 12-07-2012 08:07 AM

No-Shampoo...just started!

I'm about a week and a half or so into the no-shampoo method. I waited like 4 days after my regular shampoo, then cleaned my hair with baking soda and apple cider vinegar. Three days after that, I cleaned with just water. It's two days after that now and I'm starting to feel itchy/like I need a wash.

Has anyone else here gone shampoo-free? What is/was your cleaning regime like, and how has it gone for you?

Thanks!

carriek38 12-07-2012 08:36 AM

Re: No-Shampoo...just started!

There are a lot of no-poo ladies on here, & there are just as many ways to be "no-poo". A lot of it depends on your hair type, texture, density, condition, etc. I'd recommend doing some searches, both in this area & OT about no-poo for some ideas on what might work for you. There's really no right or wrong about it. Ideally, you'll avoid sulfates and silicones for your hair, but beyond that, it's whatever works for you. You may use different methods of cleansing (bs/acv, bs/conditioner, co-washing, water-only, no-poo or low-poo cleansers, shampoo bars, etc.), different types of conditioners (protein-rich, humectant-rich, lightweight, etc.), & different products (leave-in, gel, mousse, hair milk, etc.) or lack thereof. Some still blowdry, others don't. Knowing more about your own hair characteristics will help guide your journey & if you are able to share that, it will help us give you better ideas.

And even if your hair is straight, I'd recommend looking a bit into resources for curly hair...http://www.naturallycurly.com is a great resource, so is The Curly Girl Handbook & Live Curly, Live Free. There are also blogs dedicated to the topic, as well as YouTube channels. It's an interesting, evolving process, I promise!

greencrunchymama 12-07-2012 08:52 AM

I used this tutorial for no poo. It works surprisingly well. I've been doing it for a year or so. Hope that helps!

aimeelee76 12-07-2012 12:41 PM

Based on my experience with no-poo, low poo, homemade shampoos, etc, how your scalp will react is based largely on how often you were shampooing before going no-poo. My best advice to anyone who wants to start using water only on their hair is to initially start by stretching out the time between shampoos. Every three days for a while, then every five, etc. I was washing my hair every ten days or so before I started on WO, and I think that it made a big difference with the WO adjustment period, which can be rough. If you're like me, it'll take your hair about 3-4 weeks to normalize, during which time it's not going to look good. I eventually had to stop WO, but that was due to my yeast-caused seborrheic dermatitis, not the practice itself. Good luck! What you're doing is inexpensive, environmentally friendly, non-corporate, and healthy!!

melahknee 12-08-2012 01:06 AM

I have no idea what no poo is... but I make my own shampoo.
I wash my hair every 2-3 days
using a peri bottle with a squirt nozzle I put some baking soda in the bottom of the container, then I fill the bottle with warm water and add lavender oil, tea tree oil, and lately I've also been adding peppermint oil. I like to mix and match essential oils to create different scents.
then I put the cap on and shake it up until baking soda is dissolved and then I get in the shower and squirt the mixture all over my head from root to tip. then I let it sit on my hair for 10-30 minutes. no scrubbing necessary, the longer it sits the better. when I put peppermint oil in the shampoo it makes my scalp all tingly, like a cooling sensation. it feels amazing and it cures any itching. then I rinse in as cold of water as I can stand.

marliah 12-08-2012 04:13 PM

I rarely "wash" my hair. I typically wet it in the shower. But other than that I do an ACV rinse about once a month. I dont use the baking soda at all, I tried it once and it dried my scalp and made me itchy. My hair is healthier than its ever been (and I used to buy the REALLY expensive salon shampoos).

tbowers8403 12-19-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melahknee (Post 16018962)
I have no idea what no poo is... but I make my own shampoo.
I wash my hair every 2-3 days
using a peri bottle with a squirt nozzle I put some baking soda in the bottom of the container, then I fill the bottle with warm water and add lavender oil, tea tree oil, and lately I've also been adding peppermint oil. I like to mix and match essential oils to create different scents.
then I put the cap on and shake it up until baking soda is dissolved and then I get in the shower and squirt the mixture all over my head from root to tip. then I let it sit on my hair for 10-30 minutes. no scrubbing necessary, the longer it sits the better. when I put peppermint oil in the shampoo it makes my scalp all tingly, like a cooling sensation. it feels amazing and it cures any itching. then I rinse in as cold of water as I can stand.

I'm going to try this! I'm going to clean out an old shampoo bottle. So excited!