Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Special Needs (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   what are buying your sn kid for christmas (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470352)

monkeymama07 12-07-2012 08:14 AM

what are buying your sn kid for christmas

Everyone is done but J. I don't know what to get him.

He can roll over, kick his legs,look around, etc..

He's non verbal, can't walk, crawl, or control a lot use of his hands but he does grab things randomly..or atleast I think its random.

Shaunam 12-07-2012 09:29 AM

A big inflatable pool with balls. Big enough for her to lay in since she can't sit up. A motion activated cat that rolls and giggles.

Shaunam 12-07-2012 09:30 AM

Her nurse is getting her a portable DVD player.

MDever 12-07-2012 09:58 AM

Re: what are buying your sn kid for christmas

How old is the LO and what is your budget?

monkeymama07 12-07-2012 10:29 AM

J is 3.5.

He may like a ball pit I'm wonder how it would go with my 5 year old wanting to play in it with him.

mekat 12-07-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeymama07 (Post 16015995)
He can roll over, kick his legs,look around, etc..

My son was close in physical abilities at that age. His favorite toy was a roll of paper towels. He would unroll it and then some how get himself wrapped up in it. Not really great idea for gifting but you may want to give him a paper towel roll and see if he likes it. Does he like to make messes? Mine used to love to dump things out (actually still does). Fisher Price sells Babies First Blocks which are good for dumping but for that type of play you could use just about anything.

Now would be a good time to teach him how to use a switch. A pancake switch is nice and big and easy for a child to swat at and activate something. It is also good for teaching cause and effect as well as good switch training for eventual augmented communication. At that age my son loved these fans. Unfortunately they had a high rate of breakage so what I would do is buy multiple copies of a cheap unadapted version and just bought a battery interrupter when one breaks you just move the battery interrupter to the next one.

ETA:
Forgot to answer the original question. My son is getting board books, sound books, a play tent and a rainmaker. I will probably get him more but that is all I have bought so far. His grandma bought him an early Christmas present. A portable heater so he can take longer baths in the winter without going into an autonomic crisis. He loves his baths so he is a happy camper again. Without the heater his body temp would drop 94 degree after only a few minutes in the tub.

luvsviola 12-07-2012 11:53 AM

Rainstick? We use them in music therapy because they make sound for awhile after being flipped, and they are soothing.

mekat 12-07-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvsviola (Post 16016926)
Rainstick? We use them in music therapy because they make sound for awhile after being flipped, and they are soothing.

This is what I am referring to Rainmaker also known as a rainstick. :thumbsup: Alec's old vision therapist used to use one to help with vision tracking. The sounds would help those with vision impairment track the beads visually. Unfortunately hers was way nicer then this one. I can't find the version she used to have so wound up buying this.

Jen's_4 12-07-2012 12:45 PM

A backpack. She loves to carry things around and it seems to be quite soothing for her.

I don't have any great advice for you, sorry. What about a trip to an aquairum or something? I thought the pp who mentioned switch devices had a good idea.

Shaunam 12-07-2012 02:14 PM

We got a ball with a rain stick inside of it. The ball was one of those that has all the holes, so they can easily get a hold of it. It was in the baby section at Walmart for like $8. She got that for her bday.

Eta: http://www.amazon.com/Rhino-Toys-Oba...ains+tick+ball