Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   How do you help kids purge without the meltdown tears? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470514)

rawheid 12-07-2012 03:57 PM

How do you help kids purge without the meltdown tears?

I've tried to involve the kids and it always seems to end in tears. There are things that they are ok with getting rid of , but there always seems to be the meltdown.

The thing is about a month ago, I pulled 2 rubbermaids of toys out of rotation and they haven't asked for any of them. In fact they haven't even been playing with what I left on the shelf. They are in a lego phase (which is good since that's what they're getting for christmas).

So how do I convince them it's time to let these things go. I know that they'd love and appreciate what they have a lot more if we let go of more.

BNC 12-07-2012 04:47 PM

Re: How do you help kids purge without the meltdown tears?

If they haven't asked for them, just donate it.

Jenn135 12-07-2012 04:49 PM

You could do it when they are in bed and hold onto it for a week, see if anyone even notices. Or tell them the toys are going in storage for a while. Or....(I haven't tried this but love the idea). Explain to them how some kids have no toys, ask them to pick a toy to give to another kid for Christmas, and take them to deliver the toy. Maybe you could do this a few times before Christmas. Good luck!

Anna0623 12-07-2012 05:03 PM

I used to have my dd, and ds pick items they where ok with giving away, then explained to them that we still needed to get rid of a few more items. After I was done picking out toys, I allowed each of them to get one item out of the bag to keep. I also made it a point to explain that it made it easier for them to clean up if they had less toys. My dd is almost 5 and ds is almost 3 and there have been a few times where they will bring broken toys to me to trash, or toys that they no longer want or play with for me to put in the goodwill bag.

moms5angels 12-07-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BNC (Post 16018066)
If they haven't asked for them, just donate it.

:yeahthat:
i dont always ask my kids what they do & dont want. if they dont play w/ it i get rid of it. there r times i even go through them when there not home or in another room playing. they never notice. i just keep what they like & do use.

elizabeth.scalf 12-07-2012 06:10 PM

A lot of times I make up a big box of donation toys and leave it in the hallway. The kids see it, they grab one thing out of it, and play with it in the playroom. I let them take that one thing, then the rest goes. I figure that one toy will make the next round. If they ask where something went, I just tell them that we shared it with other kids who don't have any toys. No meltdown tears yet. I would ask for your kids to pick one thing that they want to share with other kids. After they pick one thing, add whatever else you want to. If they ever ask, which they rarely do, tell them that it went to the other kids along with *whatever they picked to donate*. It also sometimes to pick up to items and ask your kids which one they'd like to KEEP. This focuses them on the positive, and they're less likely to thing about the negative (meaning the one that gets donated).

rawheid 12-07-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anna0623 (Post 16018122)
I used to have my dd, and ds pick items they where ok with giving away, then explained to them that we still needed to get rid of a few more items. After I was done picking out toys, I allowed each of them to get one item out of the bag to keep. I also made it a point to explain that it made it easier for them to clean up if they had less toys. My dd is almost 5 and ds is almost 3 and there have been a few times where they will bring broken toys to me to trash, or toys that they no longer want or play with for me to put in the goodwill bag.

I actually did that this time. It really helped. We also talked today about how much easier it will be for cleaning up. It did help that the school is having a white elephant sale and so we had been talking about things to donate.

TalkinBoutMyGirl 12-07-2012 11:52 PM

I feel your pain mama. My daughter will put on this super sad face and say "goodbye" to stuff. It makes me want to give it all right back. I think I am going to get rid of a ton of the stuffed animals this weekend when she gets back. Wish me luck! lol

rawheid 12-08-2012 08:07 PM

Stuffier have never been a problem for us. I always line up say 5 and say pick 3 to keep. Then I did it again till the pile was gone. Then a month or so later I did it again. Now I think the kids have 5 stuffies top.

TalkinBoutMyGirl 12-08-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rawheid (Post 16021506)
Stuffier have never been a problem for us. I always line up say 5 and say pick 3 to keep. Then I did it again till the pile was gone. Then a month or so later I did it again. Now I think the kids have 5 stuffies top.

I actually ended up tearing her room apart tonight. I packed up a TON of toys and some stuffies I knew she wouldn't miss. I am going to go through the stuffies with her tomorrow since I know she will notice if they just go missing. We will probably end up with 15-20 stuffies left but thats a huge downsize...yes we have a ton LOL