Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Prenatal Vitamin Advice? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470602)

kbjohnsonfam 12-07-2012 11:48 PM

Prenatal Vitamin Advice?

I need a good prenatal vitamin recommendation! something that doesn't make me so constipated!!

I was taking the standard prenatal from Trader Jo's and its not working for me. Is there something more natural? a supplement to add to it?

any help is appreciated! :thumbsup:

evasimone 12-08-2012 01:26 AM

Re: Prenatal Vitamin Advice?

My midwife recommended Rainbow light prenatals.

If you're not opposed to it you could buy the nutrients you specifically need rather than taking a generic prenatal.

I take
DHA
Floridix
Zinc
Vitamin D3
B6, B12
Folic acid

For some of the nutrients prenatals don't really provide enough or they provide nutrients we already get enough of. I just figured out which nutrients I mostly needed to take supplements for. DHA is huge for brain development so I trust a high quality DHA supplement over a prenatal with a zillion other vitamins combined. I also take 4000 IU of D3, most prenatals only offer 400 IU and their have been studies that are convincing to me that pregnant women should at least get 2000 IU.

So just my two cents about what I do in place of a prenatal, I've never had any constipation issues.

RunawayBunny 12-08-2012 05:21 AM

I take rainbow lites and a dha supplement. They dont make me constipated. The few times I have been were pregnancy related, not vitamin.

EmilyA874 12-08-2012 06:38 AM

Another vote for Rainbow Light Prenatal (I take the ones). I also take fish oil.

Leaner 12-08-2012 08:04 AM

Another vote for Rainbow Light Once a days (also liked the ones you take 6 times a day but never remembered them!) I take them when no pg or nursing because they just make me feel better.

raymark 12-08-2012 08:47 AM

I had to get a prescription prenatal & DHA to not end up nauseous & constipated. Just talk to your OB

knittingk 12-08-2012 08:50 AM

I take the Deva vegan prenatal multivitamins and minerals and Floradix for added Iron. I stay away from the DHA supplements because the DHA is all manufactured in China.

lynn97 12-08-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunawayBunny
I take rainbow lites and a dha supplement. They dont make me constipated. The few times I have been were pregnancy related, not vitamin.

Same here. I buy my DHA supplement from Target. It is a generic plant-based supplement.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

clothdipemama 12-09-2012 08:48 PM

I also take the Rainbow lights, but this pregnancy I'm taking the mini's. They are exactly the same as the regular ones, but you take 3 instead of one. I usually take 2 in the morning and 1 at night before bed. The regular ones just were too hard for me to get down. I also take Nordic Naturals DHA supplement, the Strawberry flavor.

homebirthmom 12-09-2012 08:52 PM

GNC ultra mega slow release. its amazing. I get wicked sickness and this doesnt constipate and it stops morning sickness cause the high b vitamins are amazing. it tastes like vanilla and its cheap too.
I heard of the rainbow kind but had many moms (worked as a midwife) who could NOT handle it and it went to waste. i also could not tolerate anything I had to take 4-6 of per day. but I also hate pills. the gnc is the only one I can tolerate besides flinstones.