Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Recommend YOUR seat that YOU love! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470634)

hilaryisinked 12-08-2012 07:02 AM

Recommend YOUR seat that YOU love!

I want reviews from car seat people...not just the randoms on Babies R Us and Amazon reviewing them. We have a MyRide & Complete Air so we don't need reviews of those. I know seats fit all different kinds of kids and vehicles. I just want some trustworthy, knowledgeable reviews so we can finally make a decision. So tell me:
1. What seat do you have?
2. How old is the child and what do they weigh?
3. What vehicle do you have and if the seat is RF/FF in there?

Thank you very much in advance. :goodvibes:

And for anyone who will benefit from this thread we have:
1. MyRide 65 & Complete Air 65
2. 12 months/25 lbs in the MR & 2 years/27 lbs in the CA
3. Scion xB & both are RF

keen1981 12-08-2012 07:04 AM

I have never loved a seat the way I
Loved my marathons. Sigh.

Myride is too deep and too freaking HUGE.

MDever 12-08-2012 07:10 AM

Re: Recommend YOUR seat that YOU love!

We have the following and are very happy with them.

Poppy 24mo 24lb 33" tall in a TrueFit RFing in the second bench row of T&C mini van(can't say enough great things about it) If it RF to 40lbs it would be perfect.

Ainsley 7y3m 60lb 46 1/2" in a Britax Frontier85 in the 3rd row of T&C

hilaryisinked 12-08-2012 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keen1981 (Post 16019261)
I have never loved a seat the way I
Loved my marathons. Sigh.

Myride is too deep and too freaking HUGE.

Now this is good to hear! I couldn't tell how big the Marathon was compared to the MyRide. Yes this beast is huge!!

Fashionably Green Baby 12-08-2012 07:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We have 3 kids and 2 cars so 6 seats. 5 are radians (2 65's, 2 80's, and an XTSL) and a Nautilus.

My car 2001 Ford Taurus

3 yrs 10 mos. 37 lbs 37" rear facing in the radian 65 behind drivers seat (I'm 5'4")

7 yrs 3 mos 42 lbs 47" forward facing but harnessed in a nautilus in the middle

17 months 19 pounds (can't remember why her newest length is :blush:) rear facing in the radian 80 behind passenger seat.

DH's car 2004 Chevy cavalier 2 Door :banghead:

3 yrs 10 mos 37 lbs 37" forward facing (I turned him at 3 in this car because it is a 2 door and I was having a very hard time getting him in since we have a younger child that also has to rear face. We rarely take this car but I don't love him FF yet) in the radian 65 (same as my car only FF) behind the passenger seat.

17 month old 19 lbs rear facing in a radian 80 in the middle.

7 yrs 3 mos 42 lbs 47" forward facing in a radian XTSL behind drivers seat.

I LOVE all of my radians and they install well in our cars (I don't like installing them in my dads truck though). I especially love the leg room they offer for older rear facers.

I like the nautilus but it is a beast of a seat compared to my radians and I don't like how close the harness straps are together, they rub DD's neck and I can't find the little pads.

We have also had a complete air which was ok but the leg room is awful IMO. DS rides in one RF in my moms car. And we had he my ride for like 3 weeks and I hated how HUGE that seat was. I live he low profile of the radians.

And for good measure here is a pic of my car setup.

Attachment 126984

Hungry Caterpillar 12-08-2012 07:59 AM

I am not a carseat guru :) But we love this seat!

Peg Perego Convertible
One child, 31 inches, 26+ pounds, RF in both cars, 14 months old
Excursion (middle bench seat, belt path)
Prius (by the window, latch)

-obviously comfortable (no crying, likes to go in)
-easy to clean
-breathable fabric seems to lessen sweating (even in summer in CA)
-easy to install in both latch and with seatbelt
-easy to install on planes both FF and RF
-RF to 45 pounds

hilaryisinked 12-08-2012 08:02 AM

Thank you for your Radian thoughts! That's what we are leaning toward most but then I get mixed reviews on how hard the installs are. Leg room is a biggy. My DD1 likes to hang her legs over the side of her seat and DH, while he know why we ERF and all the facts, sometimes complains that her leg room isn't great in her seat. We most likely will get 2 R100's but I want to explore all the options. I know we don't want more Complete Airs or My Rides though.

hilaryisinked 12-08-2012 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar (Post 16019406)
I am not a carseat guru :) But we love this seat!

Peg Perego Convertible
One child, 31 inches, 26+ pounds, RF in both cars, 14 months old
Excursion (middle bench seat, belt path)
Prius (by the window, latch)

-obviously comfortable (no crying, likes to go in)
-easy to clean
-breathable fabric seems to lessen sweating (even in summer in CA)
-easy to install in both latch and with seatbelt
-easy to install on planes both FF and RF
-RF to 45 pounds

Thank you for this! I had seen the seats but hadn't seen many reviews.

armywife2002 12-08-2012 08:09 AM

we had a graco infant seat that i liked well enough... would have loved it if it was a front adjust, lol (why do they even keep making rear adjust seats? such a pain!)

from 6ish months to 3yrs 5 months ds was rear facing in a marathon, and again i loved it. easy to install, easy to use, super comfy. all around great seat.

he was forward facing in it for about a year when i got him a nauti. he LOVES that seat, particularly because of the cubby holes, lol. i like it, but the crotch buckle is a ginormous pain, especially for my mom (and shes not even that old yet- almost 52).

he is 5 yrs and 2 months old, and 42lbs, and currently still harnessed in the nauti. we also have a cheapy cosco booster that we've been using for booster training. all 3 seats were used in my 2000 saturn sl2, ex-h's 2006 civic hybrid, and the nauti in my 2007 mitsubishi galant with no problems. i did find that i can get a better install on one side versus the other in my new car.

oh, we also had a scenera as a back up seat. pretty good install, once i figured out the tricks, and it was a great, cheap, back up

lanwenyi 12-08-2012 08:21 AM

I have 2 kids and they ride in 5 diff cars.

My FAVE overall seat (and my kids' fave seat) is the TrueFit Premier. 35lb rfing is plenty for us (DS is 3y5m and only 26lbs). It fits anywhere, is super comfy, easy to load kids, etc. It is currently FFing in my DH's Miata b/c we can adjust the straps (without taking the seat out) to fit either kid for the 2 block ride from daycare or 3 mile ride from school to our house. Before that (and for long trips) it was rfing behind the driver in our Jetta Sportwagen. My kids are 3y5m, 26lbs, & 35.75" and 5y3m, 36lbs, & 42".

DS's (3y5m, 26lbs, 35.75", and rfing in all other cars) other seats are 2 Radian XTSL's (rfing behind the passenger seat in the Jetta Sportwagen and Saturn Ion), and 2 Safety First Avenues (rfing in the 3rd row of a Ford E-350 and behind the passenger in a 2012 Prius). I actually like the Avenues better than the Radians. The Radians are fine, but not great. The wings won't stay up, so the kids complain about them pushing on their shoulders, they're a pain to tighten, and I DREAD ever moving them or adjusting the strap heights. We travel with one of the Avenues.

DD (5y3m, 36lbs, 42" and boostered in all cars except Miata, where she shares the FFing TFP w/ DS, and on long trips when she rides rfing in the Radian and we re-install the TFP rfing for DS) has a Recaro Vivo and a Graco Highback Turbobooster that we move around as needed. DD prefers the Vivo (it is more supportive), but the Turbo is lighter and easier for DD to buckle on her own, so when she rides with other people, we put her in that one b/c it's so easy to use.

We also have a CARES harness and a RSTV that we use for trips where we travel by plane, but those are definitely "niche" seats.