Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Has anyone used the Flip trainer? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470670)

lakemama 12-08-2012 11:33 AM

Has anyone used the Flip trainer?

I didn't know Flip made a trainer, we're not to PL quite yet. But I bought one in my local shop this morning because it seems really nice.

For $29.95 (at least that's what I paid) it comes with 3 organic cotton inserts that fold and velcro into place under flaps just like the Flip cover. The sides have a very nice cotton knit version of what Grovia is using. Softer IMO.

So it's a much trimmer version of what a Flip with insert or prefold would be.

The package says that they go up to 50lbs.

I'm curious if anyone has used them and what they think?

snorris2 12-08-2012 02:01 PM

I used them with my 3 year old when she was pl'ing. They worked very well imo. When fully prepped, the inserts held quite a bit and seemed comfy. I had no issues with leaks, and used two inserts at night. Hope that helps!

ssand23 12-08-2012 02:12 PM

Re: Has anyone used the Flip trainer?

My son is wearing one now. We've had ours for over a year now & have been very happy with them. You can even use them as a diaper on a larger child who outgrew one-size diapers (that's what we've been doing). Since my son is an extremely heavy wetter due to medical problems, I double up & use 2 inserts at once. I have even used the disposable Flip inserts in them with good results and have also wrapped the organic cotton inserts inside a Cotton Babies suedecloth sock at times to make them a stay dry option.

They are easy to get off & on, still fit my son at 42 lbs, have held up well in the wash and are very soft and absorbent. They have also held up to nighttime, naps and long car trips with out any leaks. I've been really impressed with how well they work and I would recommend them over other trainers.

indigo152 12-08-2012 02:12 PM

I use them with my 3-1/2 yo DD at night. I put in two inserts, and we don't have leaks. I also love the inserts to stuff in her little brother's nighttime diapers (Simplex OS and BG 4.0s)
My DD is only 28 lbs, so I can't tell you how large the trainers actually fit. However, we did have a Grovia trainer that seemed too tight on her, and she was not able to pull it up or down.

Layney82 12-08-2012 02:15 PM

I've used them a fair bit with my almost 3 yo DS who is reluctant to use his potty. I find they work okay with 2 inserts, but with only 1, he would end up standing or sitting in a puddle. They fit him well, on the smallest setting so they are BIG. DS is 41" and 35lbs and still needs the smallest rise setting to get a tight fit around his legs.

They do wash and dry well and I wouldn't mind a full set of them but I don't want to buy any more diapers for him. We now mostly use sposies because he outgrew his stash and I didn't want to buy a whole set of flips and then have him PT.

mammato2 12-08-2012 02:19 PM

I like these trainers, but even on the smallest settings they are still a bit too big on my 26mo she's around 25lbs but is thin and tall.

lakemama 12-08-2012 08:13 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still prepping them, so I haven't tried them on. My DS is very small (36", 26# and 31 mos) so I'll be curious to see if they fit.

mammato2 12-08-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakemama
Thanks for the feedback. I'm still prepping them, so I haven't tried them on. My DS is very small (36", 26# and 31 mos) so I'll be curious to see if they fit.

This is almost the exact size of my 26mo: 36in, 25lbs 2oz.

I felt like they weren't very trim because the weren't tight enough. When they got wet they became really droopy kinda like a sposie.

mamamarisa 12-08-2012 09:34 PM

i hate them(though flip dipes are my favorite lol). They dont fit my ds, granted hes skin and bone but he is average potty training weight and age. He weighs 26 lbs and they fall off him without pants to hold them up, dont fit in the legs, and dont absorb any more than a $3 gerber trainer. I thought the grovia sides and waist was perfect but the rise was butt-crack-showing short. I think they will be too big on your dd but shes shorter at the same weight and therefore built different so who knows. Weve tried many trainers and havent found a perfect one so i think it may just be the way ds is built.

kirst 12-09-2012 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssand23 (Post 16020259)
My son is wearing one now. We've had ours for over a year now & have been very happy with them. You can even use them as a diaper on a larger child who outgrew one-size diapers (that's what we've been doing). Since my son is an extremely heavy wetter due to medical problems, I double up & use 2 inserts at once. I have even used the disposable Flip inserts in them with good results and have also wrapped the organic cotton inserts inside a Cotton Babies suedecloth sock at times to make them a stay dry option.

They are easy to get off & on, still fit my son at 42 lbs, have held up well in the wash and are very soft and absorbent. They have also held up to nighttime, naps and long car trips with out any leaks. I've been really impressed with how well they work and I would recommend them over other trainers.

This is exactly what I have been wondering, if people used these for larger babies. What is the rise on them? (can't seem to find this listed anywhere).

My son is longwaisted and gets plumber's crack in BG 4.0's and is almost at that point in the few Freetimes that I have for him, so I was thinking that the other BG products would probably be not good for him either.