Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Can you tell me about evening promrose oil? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470676)

EmilyA874 12-08-2012 10:40 AM

Can you tell me about evening promrose oil?

I am being induced sometime in my 39th week and am trying to do what I can to make sure it goes as smoothly as possible. My doctor who is inducing me is hoping I'll be dilated enough that he can just break my water and we can skip all the drug related induction methods. My doctor I see for my regular appointments suggest Red Raspberry Leaf tea, so I have been drinking that, but I have also heard about evening primrose oil. I know you can take it orally and also insert it vaginally, but when are you supposed to start doing those things and how much do you use? And has anyone used and felt it really did help their labor to go more smoothly/quickly/easily? Thanks for you help :goodvibes:

Kelly3139 12-08-2012 11:44 AM

Re: Can you tell me about evening promrose oil?

I used EPO with my last pregnancy starting at 36 weeks. I started inserting 2 pills vaginally at bedtime as close to your cervix as possible. It is supposed to help soften the cervix. You can also break open the pill and do perineal massage which should help to make you stretchy. I will be using it again for this LO because I think it helped!

hohaas 12-08-2012 12:27 PM

I started taking it at 35 wks w DD3 and had her 38w5d and at 34w w DD4 and had her 40w. I took a higher dosage w DD4 and labor went much quicker. When I got to the BC after 10 I was a 5. MW broke my water around 1230 and I had her at 107. I start off with a lower dose and gradually increase to 1000mg 3x a day.

knodceo 12-08-2012 12:29 PM

I inserted borage oils...

And drank the tea.

EmmaGM 12-08-2012 12:40 PM

I started epo at 36 weeks, first taking 1 orally, then 2, then inserting 2 vaginally. I only made it to 37 weeks but I feel like that and rrl made my induction much smoother.

hilaryisinked 12-08-2012 05:37 PM

I started EPO at 36 weeks with DD2. I inserted it every night we didn't DTD. I was induced at 39 weeks and the whole thing lasted 13 or 14 hours compared to my first induction which lasted 3 days.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Edensmomma 12-09-2012 07:08 PM

I started it orally at 36 weeks, then inserted it vaginally at 38 weeks, was 4cm dialted and 100% effaced and then labor started on it's own and she was born in 2 hours from start to finish. I will caution you, that it can cause some pretty uncomfortable cramping.

EmilyA874 12-10-2012 10:54 AM

Thank you for sharing ladies! Looks like I should get on getting some to have and start next week at 36 weeks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edensmomma (Post 16024294)
I started it orally at 36 weeks, then inserted it vaginally at 38 weeks, was 4cm dialted and 100% effaced and then labor started on it's own and she was born in 2 hours from start to finish. I will caution you, that it can cause some pretty uncomfortable cramping.

Thank you for the warning about the cramping! Sounds like it is likely worth the cramping though, hopefully it will give me as much of a head start as it did you!

csilve03 12-10-2012 12:04 PM

i started at 36 weeks and took it orally and inserted it :) had two very smooth labors

jennayoung99 12-16-2012 10:44 PM

I started EPO vaginally and orally at 37 weeks I went into labor at 40 weeks 4 days, was in labor for 40 ish hours and went on pit after 28 hours because I wasn't dialating.

I will be giving it another go this time but it really didn't help me with any dialating or ripening.

But I didn't tear and I think the EPO had something to do with that.