Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   HSing Check-In December 8-22 (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470695)

Jen's_4 12-08-2012 01:19 PM

HSing Check-In December 8-22

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...ictureid=17650

croark 12-09-2012 09:49 PM

Re: HSing Check-In December 8-22

Goal for the week: Finish our Math U See Beta book so we can have the rest of December off (we are trying to play catch up and math is the only thing we've been doing for Dec). Plan to start Gamma in Jan when we start back full time. Which I'm excited about, btw.

thirdtimemomma 12-10-2012 10:55 AM

We are taking the week off to bake. Lol. 3 parties this week and a birthday. Except DD 11.. she's getting some one on one math tutoring in some problem areas. :) the kids are gonna help me bake some cookies and casseroles. So I guess we are still learning.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum

Jen's_4 12-10-2012 01:20 PM

I'm such a dork. I got so used to adding homeschooling time for the week that I sometimes use 60 as a unit instead of 100. We don't have 500 hours. :( But we do have 469. So almost half of the year done. Today went well. Thursday is keegan appointment with the pediatric optomitrist (sp?), and I'm getting kind of nervous about it already.

cedavid2011 12-10-2012 01:57 PM

Hello everyone! :) We are going to keep trying to cover the basics everyday this week and hopefully next week too. Then we'll take the week between Christmas and New Year's off. One day down, nine more to go. :goodvibes:

ETA: I love the T-shirt Jen!

HMinshall 12-10-2012 02:07 PM

Hi all. I haven't posted on the check-in before, so a little intro. I have two children; Jacob is in 2nd grade, and Savannah is doing a K/1st mix. This is our last week before we take a three week break. My dh deploys in January, so he is taking vacation and we are just going to enjoy some family time until the New Year. I'm hoping to plan lots of day trips and hands-on learning!

My kids are excited to finish up 2012 schoolwork this week, and, fortunately, have been working hard to finish. I can't wait to have the time off so I can plan for January and the rest of the year. One of the things I love about homeschooling is that it can be on our schedule...but this year has been crazy (we moved in Oct, and my dh spent 7 months this year away from us.) and homeschooling isn't always the priority. But, anyway, that's us!

tallanvor 12-10-2012 05:08 PM

Well, I think schoolwork was completed here. I know the kids were working on it. lol. DH is sick and I went shopping, so the kids were more or less on their own for the day. I know at least some work was done because it was done before I left the house. They watched Prince Caspian, as well.

iris0110 12-10-2012 09:25 PM

Jen, I may have missed this earlier but is the optometrist appt routine or are there some concerns? Either way I hope everything goes well.

As for us Kearnan's eval with the OT went as expected last week and we were lucky enough to catch a cancellation for an eval with ST for this Wednesday. If that comes back as we expect it to he will most likely begin both ST and OT after the begining of the year. At the very least the OT has recommended 45minutes twice a week but we are compromising on once a week because I can't interrupt school so much right now. I am fairly certain I can get the bulk of Tharen's school work done in the waiting room but after spending 15-30minutes in the car, 45minutes in the waiting room (assuming just OT, if we do ST as well that is 1.5 hours) and another 15-30minutes in the car on the way home we have now used up a good portion of a day. I just can't give up two days that Kearnan could be doing school work. He is spending too much of each day staring at the wall instead of working. There is the chance that this therapy will help with that, but it is too hard to know. So we will do one day of therapy and a home program. If that doesn't help we will increase to 2 days. We also need to talk about the social skills group (yet another day). I don't know when he will get any school work done.

On the school front Kearnan is not making much progress. Today he took 2.5 hours to do his math work so very little got done. Tharen on the other hand did the work I asked him to do and got done. I've been looking at the Oak Meadow curriculum and realized that it is very similar to what I am already doing. I may attempt to buy some pieces of it used for next year but I don't think I will buy the whole thing because I am already doing it naturally.

Jen's_4 12-11-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cedavid2011 (Post 16027018)
ETA: I love the T-shirt Jen!

Thank you! I love it too! I made one for both of the girls like this, and then I made one for me that has the stick figures and says "Good for the whole family!"

Shannon--The appointment is for Keegan who is having all kinds of difficulty with reading. He shows a LOT of signs of dyslexia. The pediatric optomitrist they are sending us too specializes in reading issues. They are going to do some super duper eye exam, have him read and write some stuff and see if they can figure out where to go from here. I figure we will come home with a dyslexia dx.

As for us--It will be a shortish week here this week. DH took a vacation day on Wed. and he's going to go with us to the girls gymnastics and everything like that, then Thursday we are doing the appointment for Keegan and hospital visits. So we've finished most everything for today, but I may try to do a bit more this afternoon. If nothing else we should at least practice some early readers! What early readers do you guys use/love when your littles are learning to read?

croark 12-11-2012 03:13 PM

Jenbatten, we like dr suess books. We've also got the BOB books but haven't started them yet.