Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   New to cloth, some questions (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470730)

IloveDoris89 12-08-2012 02:34 PM

New to cloth, some questions

Hi, I am new to cloth and on a small small budget and my friend referred me. Awesome site BTW.

First question is, what are flats? Right now I am using receiving blankets until I can afford to buy some and my friends borrowed cover. In the picture of someones flat it kind of looked like a receiving blanket, is it similar to that?

Are all the colored linings the same size chart even if its different brand? Like would red edge be medium no matter who puts it out?

My friend said you need to put a cover on fitteds, why would they have designs on them if you need to put a cover over it?

With the covers and prefolds if its just pee can I wipe out the inside of the cover and put it over a new prefold, like if it didn't get poo on it and didn't smell would it be good to use that same cover the whole day?

When they poo do I need to rinse it out before I put it in bag or just scrap off as much as possible.

Also not diaper related question but I wanted to put my baby carrier on here for trade for diapers but it said I need to appy to be a seller, how do I do? Sorry not the most computer literate person at times.

Poodlemum 12-08-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IloveDoris89
Hi, I am new to cloth and on a small small budget and my friend referred me. Awesome site BTW.

First question is, what are flats? Right now I am using receiving blankets until I can afford to buy some and my friends borrowed cover. In the picture of someones flat it kind of looked like a receiving blanket, is it similar to that?

Flats would be pretty much the same as using receiving blankets :) Most flats are cotton Birdseye, but no reason they couldn't be made out of flannel or any other absorbent material!

Are all the colored linings the same size chart even if its different brand? Like would red edge be medium no matter who puts it out?

I assume you're talking about prefolds, every brand has a different colour for different sizes (some no colour at all). It would be awesome if they were all the same though!

My friend said you need to put a cover on fitteds, why would they have designs on them if you need to put a cover over it?

A quality GOOD fitted won't need a cover, I never use one unless we're going out. They're very absorbent and should just feel a bit damp on the outside when it's time to change

With the covers and prefolds if its just pee can I wipe out the inside of the cover and put it over a new prefold, like if it didn't get poo on it and didn't smell would it be good to use that same cover the whole day?

I have a bunch of covers, so I only use 2 a day since my little doesn't poop every day. As long as it isn't dirty or smelly you can keep using it. I just don't like to lol

When they poo do I need to rinse it out before I put it in bag or just scrap off as much as possible.

I just dump whatever comes off and put it in the bag, no stink issues. The first rinse takes care of everything!

Also not diaper related question but I wanted to put my baby carrier on here for trade for diapers but it said I need to appy to be a seller, how do I do? Sorry not the most computer literate person at times.

There should be a link to follow for instructions, can't remember exactly. Sorry!

abunchoflemons 12-08-2012 02:51 PM

Re: New to cloth, some questions

Ok not sure on color part as I'm not well versed on that as I have pockets.

Prefolds/ flats are what lots use as burp rags now tbhey are like blanket square/ rectangle you fold around. Some will just let baby be in that at home but will leak so u need cover to prevent leaks when out. Some feel baby needs more air at times....

As long as no poo u could still use cover.

I myself wash out poo in my pockets, inserts & wipes because then I don't get stains. Lots with breastfeed poo just let it go unless really big stuff.

You need to link paypal & post I think 30 to sell. Can't remember if anything else. Qt something in my friends list could tell you more as she does prefolds & covers more I think from what I have seen in her posts. Really nice mama...

nonipie 12-08-2012 03:35 PM

Flats are bascially large onse-layer pieces of cotton or bamboo. If the receiving blankets are working I would just keep using those as the flats are bascially the same thing.

No different companies do not have the same color prefolds. Red edge is medium for GMD. I think Diaper Rites (Diaper Junction) are green in the similar size range, Imagines are yellow etc. So I would go by the dimensions each company lists. This is of course only for sized prefolds as opposed to the traditional infant, premium, toddler kind of sizing which I don't really like.

You do need a cover for a fitted to be waterproof but many people use them without covers. A really godd fitted can be work without a cover around the house and you won't have a puddle on the floor but would need one for leaving the house or car etc. There are lots of fitteds though and they don't have to be printed or anything colorful. We use fitteds under wool and fleece though only.

Yes you can just that! You may have to rotate between two covers in a day but not all the time.

Foe EBF infants you can just toss it in. Once they are on solids I spray/scrape all chunks off but don't worry about anything else.

IloveDoris89 12-08-2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abunchoflemons (Post 16020581)
Ok not sure on color part as I'm not well versed on that as I have pockets.

Prefolds/ flats are what lots use as burp rags now tbhey are like blanket square/ rectangle you fold around. Some will just let baby be in that at home but will leak so u need cover to prevent leaks when out. Some feel baby needs more air at times....

As long as no poo u could still use cover.

I myself wash out poo in my pockets, inserts & wipes because then I don't get stains. Lots with breastfeed poo just let it go unless really big stuff.

You need to link paypal & post I think 30 to sell. Can't remember if anything else. Qt something in my friends list could tell you more as she does prefolds & covers more I think from what I have seen in her posts. Really nice mama...

Thank you!

vansen19 12-09-2012 11:45 PM

there are many websites with pics and even youtube intro to cloth diapering basics, pockets, prefolds, flats - check it out, google search "intro to cloth diaper basics", etc.

cotton birdseye (weave) small flats are about 22x24" while large flats are about 27x30", i think you could get away with cotton flannel weave is thicker, still absorbent.

google popular prefold brands to see reviews and exact dimensions/recommended uses:
-cotton: green mountain diaper, diaper rite, imagine, osocozy
-bamboo: sustainable babyish, ??
-hemp: thirsties, baby kicks, ??

i shake out toddler poo in toilet, then toss in dry pail. breastfed poo just goes in the pail. our PUL/fleece/wool covers get used 2-3 times until soiled or saturated, and hand-washed half the time.

good luck, it's a lot of trial and error, don't hesitate to keep asking questions on forum~

raymark 12-10-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IloveDoris89 (Post 16020515)

1. Flats & receiving blankets are very similar. Most commonly flats are made from Birdseye cotton. Other materials used include bamboo (usually bamboo terry) and cotton gauze.
2. Size charts do not match from brand to brand. They should all list measurements before & after being washed. The after being washed/prepped measurements are the important ones.
3. same reason there are princesses & super heroes on underware, or you might choose a pink bra over an ivory one :). A lot of people (myself included) also let LOs run around at home in fitteds without covers so a little more air circulates through to the bum & also so we can know immediately when our LOs need changes.
4. I would not wipe & immediately reuse any cover. Poo covers always went into my wet bag ASAP - same with pee covers if the dipe was soaked. If it was not a completely soaked pee cover I would wipe it out, hang it up or lay it flat to air out, then reuse it later in the day(not immediately). I think it's best to rotate 3 covers & if any of them have any hint of smelling like urine toss it in your wet bag & add another to the rotation.
5. I always rinsed anything with poo on it in cold water. It protects your fabrics from stains setting in, keeps them in better condition if you are planning on reselling later, and reduces the nasties that circulate around & multiply in your wet bag (reduces air born contaminates too).
6. I don't remember, but believe rules are listed in the FSOT forum.