Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work out of Home Moms (WOHM) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   needing another income/job.. help please! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470768)

txnmomma 12-08-2012 04:38 PM

needing another income/job.. help please!

Which sites are good for medical transcription training??

and which sites are good for data entry? I am looking into both as extra income. I stay with home with my children because we homeschool and I need a stay at home job.

I have seen SO SO many websites and don't know which is reliable!!

What other kinds of jobs are out there for stay home mom's?!?!

We are in a crunch financially and I am needing to get another job, but here at home!!

BeccaSueCongdon 12-08-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txnmomma
Which sites are good for medical transcription training??

and which sites are good for data entry? I am looking into both as extra income. I stay with home with my children because we homeschool and I need a stay at home job.

I have seen SO SO many websites and don't know which is reliable!!

What other kinds of jobs are out there for stay home mom's?!?!

We are in a crunch financially and I am needing to get another job, but here at home!!

I'd start by looking at a community college. They might have something. And look at job postings for both of those, call the employer. Tell them you're interested in pursuing jobs like the ones they are advertising and would like to know what schools/programs they have found to produce the best trained employees.

anj 12-08-2012 06:54 PM

Re: needing another income/job.. help please!

I am in the medical field though I don't know a ton about medical transcription. Do you already have medical transcription experience? If not, it will take time to complete a program. Even then, people generally aren't able to find wah jobs until after they have experience.

I know you didn't ask for other suggestions, but how about offering childcare in your home. The only other thing I can think of would be to sell on ebay. I see stuff at thrift shops all the time that would sell for much more on eBay. I've thought about trying it myself. :2cents:

cathplyr 12-08-2012 07:46 PM

you are going to have a reallly hard time. everyone wants to work at home and you are competing with people that have been in the field for 30 years and are themselves without work. It is absolutely the worst time to pursue a brand new career. people that work at home have been in the same company for many years and they have earned it. My fiance owned his own architectural drafting company for many years and now he is washing dishes for minimum wage. and he has thought about going to school to pursue a new career but I tell him its a waste of time/money because whatever field he picks there will be many people to compete with that have been in the field longer. pick something you have experience in. why not put an ad on craigslist offering to homeschool one or 2 more students with your own children?

txnmomma 12-08-2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

The only other thing I can think of would be to sell on ebay. I see stuff at thrift shops all the time that would sell for much more on eBay. I've thought about trying it myself.
I just started doing this about 1-2 weeks ago. It's ok so far. Slow going getting started. I thought about pouring all my efforts into it and making something into it. I have "talked" to a few mom on ebay who are doing it as a 2nd income. and they have given me some tips. Definitely has kept me busy. I am stumped though and where to get things to sell. I have thought about many options.

and I have considered looking into medical transcription training. Wont be overnight. but it's a thought!

childcare/babysitting is something I have thought about it. Thinking of the best time to offer my time. evenings? afternoons? My husband is a manager and works evenings at times. it's a possibility!

luvsviola 12-10-2012 06:31 AM

Just make sure you do research on the field. SIL was a medical transcriptionist for 20 years, but many places are going to computer dictation, and almost everyone in her company either lost their jobs or hours were cut way back. Also, at least at her company, you had to work 8 hours a day, and could only take 1 break at meals halfway through. The program keeps track of words per minute, so they know you are not wasting time. It wasn't like you could do a little work, then stop and deal with kids, then do more work, etc. She found that she had to have a babysitter to make it work for her, which made her not make enough money to make it worth it.

z2akids 12-10-2012 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvsviola (Post 16025438)
Just make sure you do research on the field. SIL was a medical transcriptionist for 20 years, but many places are going to computer dictation, and almost everyone in her company either lost their jobs or hours were cut way back. Also, at least at her company, you had to work 8 hours a day, and could only take 1 break at meals halfway through. The program keeps track of words per minute, so they know you are not wasting time. It wasn't like you could do a little work, then stop and deal with kids, then do more work, etc. She found that she had to have a babysitter to make it work for her, which made her not make enough money to make it worth it.

This.

txnmomma 12-13-2012 05:30 PM

Very good point!! Thank you!!

TangerineTea 12-19-2012 10:19 PM

I am a career counselor and my honest opinion is that medical transcription as a stand alone is not the wisest of choices for a career move. If it goes along with a larger medical training program that includes additional computer/database training, or medical interpretation training (as in languages), or a medical administrative/business studies program for example you will have more options. Lots and lots of people spend money or take out loans to attend overpriced medical transcription training programs that may or may not be accredited, because they are often fairly short programs that you can join with little to no prior education or pre-requisites. I see time and time again that the graduates of these stand alone programs cannot find work because the certification they receive may not be recognized by employers, or because employers want a minimum of 1 year experience so you end up in a bit of a catch 22. There is a lot of competition for these positions by those that have extensive experience not just in medical transcription, but in the medical field in general.

Truly, most work at home opportunities that are legitimate are for those that are established in their industry and thus can negotiate to work remotely part or full time, or those that are in business for themselves. I would urge you to consider some long term career goals, that while taking longer to achieve will eventually give you more choices.

Meanwhile, some quick methods to earn money from home besides what was mentioned above are:

1) Contact everyone you know and ask them if anyone they know needs help making calls, stuffing envelopes, doing data entry, doing online research, etc. Knowing people is the fastest way to find non-traditional side jobs. If you are flexible you may be able to clean houses, organize household, run errands, grocery shop, be a household manager, pet sit, etc.

2) Consider getting a Certified Nurses Assistant or even shorter/less expensive Home Health Aid certification. Even without these you may still be able to find work caring for an elderly or disabled person p/t in their home with hours that are flexible enough for you to work around, or possibly to be able to bring your children. You can do many tasks for an elderly person that are not medically related.

3) Search online locally, and on this forum too to find Mothers that have a home based business. Not only will you get ideas for your own home based business, but you may be able to do a bit of side work for some of them. Perhaps you can make phone calls, send emails, write a newlsetter, or do a bit of marketing by helping the company post updates on blogs/Facebook/and Twitter to keep social media exposure up

4) There are lots of companies like Pampered Chef, Advocare, Avon, etc. where you can work as an affiliate and sell products at home, via your network, and of course expanding your network, including websites that are set up automatically and "cookie cutter" for affiliates.

5) Seek out women owned businesses who understand the desire to work from home and who may be open to sharing their leads with you. Even if they don't have a job for you, they can certainly point you in the right direction or help you brainstorm. Just like you asked here on DS, ask everywhere and everyone! That is the beauty of crowdsourcing :)

That is all I can think of off the top of my head, but I hope that helps you and PM me if you have any questions. Best of luck to you.