Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Babywearing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   At what age/ weight did you stop wearing your baby? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470783)

FerventlyDreaming 12-08-2012 05:40 PM

At what age/ weight did you stop wearing your baby?

I am thinking about parting with my Ergos. Both have only been used once or twice. DS is going to be three in April and he doesn't really like to be in the ergo anyways. We are also in the process of adopting but the child is not likely to be an infant. We may have a baby at some point in the future but it will likely be two years or more.

Would you keep the Ergos or just part with them.

bluedaisyma 12-08-2012 05:55 PM

Re: At what age/ weight did you stop wearing your baby?

it doesn't sound like you love the ergos and they are easy to replace. if it was a wrap or a carrier no longer made or htf, I would hold on to them. My son is 2 1/2 and I have no plans to stop wearing him. My older kids, I even wore sometimes at age 4

wordbox 12-08-2012 06:30 PM

^ I agree with the above.

My son is 2 1/2 and we still wear him occasionally. Actually, I went to Target a few hours ago and he requested that he go on my back rather than ride in the cart. Our Ergo has gotten tons of use and is one of my favorite baby items (and now I have a 4 month old as well, so it will continue to be used for a long time).

But it sounds like yours haven't been very useful to you to begin with, so it won't be much of a loss to sell them. If you change your mind later you can always get a different one, or find a carrier that is more suited to you that would get more use.

FerventlyDreaming 12-08-2012 08:40 PM

I actually didn't have this when DS was little I bought them after I found out I was pregnant with DD. I used a moby with DS when he was a little baby and I loved it. I just thought the ergo would be great when he was bigger. I couldn't carry him at all when pg and now he just seems disinterested. I hate selling now that I finally have them. I wanted one so bad when DS was a baby but couldn't afford it. Aghhh I don't know..... I guess if I am not using it whats the point. I keep it in the car with hopes to need it again but I just don't see that happening.

MamaRachel 12-08-2012 10:06 PM

I would personally keep 1 and sell the other.

I still wore my son until 3.5 pretty regularly. Beyond that though, if you're planning on adopting I think one might really come in handy for a few reasons-
1) babywearing is an awesome tool to help facilitate bonding between adopted children and parents (esp if you wind up adopting a toddler/preschooler)
And 2) with a new addition to the family your son might crave the extra snuggled that babywearing can provide.

sweetDD 12-09-2012 12:55 AM

Trade or sell both if you will not use it. And just buy another one when you will need it already.

Pixi6s 12-10-2012 08:09 AM

I used the ergo regularly with my son until he was about 24 months. We did use it a handful of times in the past year 24m-3y but not much.

SarasynFox 12-10-2012 09:41 PM

Just weighing in with my opinion. I wore all of my kids when I had the opportunity. With my daughter we had one of the Baby Bjorn carriers and that didn't last us long. I only ended up wearing her until she was about 3 months, then I started carrying her because it was just easier. I had a Moby with my first son, and I wore him until summer (in Texas) when it got too hot. I wore him a couple more times when fall and winter rolled around again, but he wasn't interested. Our third child I wore pretty regularly (well, no, I should be fair, Daddy did because he preferred Daddy wear him) until he was a little over a year old, but summer kind of did that in and he became more interested in walking. I'm guessing it's pretty normal for a child to stop being interested in being worn if they've had to take a break from it and got used to something else. With our youngest I plan to wear him for as long as possible, but I'm going to be getting an Ergo because the BabyHawk we have just isn't working out for me. It's great for dad, but I have back problems with it. I'm hoping that's going to extend our baby-wearing because I've heard good things about Ergos in the heat and I've heard from other mamas that they're better for your back.

That being said, it looks like you'll have some more little ones coming your way, so what's the harm in holding on to one? That's why we held on to our Moby (though I never use it, my partner loves it!) and the BabyHawk. We weren't even sure we wanted to have another one, but we wanted to hold on to them just in case. The way we saw it, we could always part with them later should we not have need for them again. We kept both because we each had our favorite. We kept our ring sling too, but that was largely because the kids liked playing with it, so I didn't see the harm in it.

I'd say your best bet is to keep one of them and sell the other. That way you have one on hand should you want it with your adopted child or any future baby. If it works out you can always pick up another one later, but then you won't have two to hold on to until that point.

lynn97 12-10-2012 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetDD
Trade or sell both if you will not use it. And just buy another one when you will need it already.

Yep. I would definitely look at other carriers when the time comes, too. I really disliked Ergo, especially after DS was about 10 months old. I did a little research and ended up buying a Boba 3G. I love it!!! It is night and day different than the Ergo for carrying a toddler. I also stumbled upon a used Beco Butterfly II for super cheap and have it. It also fits me much better. I'm still wearing DS comfortably at 17 months old and I don't see myself stopping anytime soon. I hope you can find a carrier that you love too!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

FerventlyDreaming 12-12-2012 06:25 PM

Thanks mamas so much for the help. I just traded one ergo for a Boba 3G :) I am hoping to love that. Also my husbands Grandmother has been in the hospital for the past few days. She is very sick and we have had to spend tons of time there. The ergo was a LIFESAVER!! When DS would not stop running around and acting crazy I put him in it and he got used to it very fast. He even started to ask for it! The stroller was too much of a pain to deal with in the hospital and the ergo was perfect. I did have some leg/back pain but I could deal with it. I don't know if I am doing something wrong or if maybe the Boba will be better. Its not terrible honestly. I have been through a lot this past year and don't have a lot of my usual physical strength so I am just happy I was able to do it as much as I was. I will definitely be keeping at least one carrier.