Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Muzzy? Signing time? Language Qs. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470802)

Jen's_4 12-08-2012 06:54 PM

Muzzy? Signing time? Language Qs.

I'm thinking about starting a new language with the kiddos. Muzzy and Signing time is what I have looked into the most. Can't decide if I want to do ASL or something else....Rosetta stone is geared for olders, right? What programs have you used/loved? What language would you teach?

erin_c_odonnell 12-08-2012 07:12 PM

Re: Muzzy? Signing time? Language Qs.

Signing time is great for basic ASL for really young kids but if you want a curriculum I'd suggest Signing Naturally series (find the ones that include DVD). That's was is commonly used in Schools/college. If you're thinking younger kids (like less than age 6 maybe) there used to be this great program but its name is escaping me. Ill look and brb. We do ASL so that's all I know about :thumbsup:

Jen's_4 12-08-2012 07:33 PM

Should have added kids are 6.5, practically 5 and 3. It would just be fore the older two, really, and if the LO picked any up that would be a bonus. What age is signing naturally for?

erin_c_odonnell 12-08-2012 07:38 PM

Older kids. I'd say hmmm 10+ maybe. Same with the other curriculum. It is Signing Enhancers Bravo!ASL. Looking at it- wow it's pricey too :/

Then again you can buy $10 DVD ASL sets at almost any bookstore B&N etc. maybe Signing time would be a good start for the ages you're looking for.

tjs77tsa 12-08-2012 08:05 PM

You might try your local library I know ours has signing time. that way you could try it before you buy it.

UmmKira 12-08-2012 08:18 PM

We love Signing Time and it would be a fun start for your kids age, I think. Like a previous poster said, our library has them so you could start there and see if you like it. There are a lot of fun resources to use there.

hilaryisinked 12-09-2012 04:31 AM

My DD1 is obsessed with Signing Time DVDs. We really need more. She is 33 months and knows a ton of signs just from watching.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Jen's_4 12-09-2012 07:29 PM

Sounds like signing time might be a good option then. I had taught some signs to my DD who was a pretty late talker and she picked them up quickly and easily...but I don't know many signs. Our library doesn't have much in the way of movies, so I may just buy one or two if I can find a good deal to see what we think.

oetken 12-13-2012 07:30 PM

Our dd20 months LOVES signing time. She asks to watch it everyday. Our library has all of them. We also have Rosetta Stone. The homeschool edition says you can start around 2nd grade. Our son is in first grade and so we are waiting until next year to start incorporating formal lessons, but he learned alot from Go Diego Go, and there are lots of games and books that help you learn Spanish.

growingmichaels 12-24-2012 09:38 AM

We have used Signing Times for two years now and my kids really enjoy it. It was recommended to us from a Sign Language Interpreter that works in the public school system. I would suggest looking on Amazon. If you are part of Amazon Prime you can watch the videos there...I think they're about $1.99 and you have access to them for 5 days.