Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Milk Supply Struggles and Baby Coming (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470808)

weesej 12-08-2012 07:25 PM

Milk Supply Struggles and Baby Coming

I have had struggles with my milk supply with several of my children. It was the worst with my last baby. Short run-down:

#1 - typical first baby struggles, stopped nursing at 3 weeks

#2 - Great nursing experience...never had a bottle, weaned at 2 years

#3 - Good nursing experience. Pregnant at 8 months, supply dropped, self-weaned at 10 months

#4 - Premature birth at 34 1/2 week, LBW, supplemented for 5 days with latch struggles, then he popped on like it was nothing. Pregnant at 10 months, weaned at 1 year.

#5 - Started out great, but had supply issues from 3-4 weeks on. She began loosing weight consistently and we began to supplement at 6 weeks, weaned at 3 months.

#6 - Never got this guy to latch on...tried finger feeding, cup feeding to get milk into him. I was pumping, but getting little. Severe jaundice at 1 week, continued weight loss. I began some bottles just to get some volume into him. Continued to try to nurse with no success at a latch for 3 weeks...just ended up bottle-feeding

#7 - Nursing went well, gained well until 5 months and then supply slowed way down. Began supplementing at 6 months, weaned at 8.

#8 - Baby latched on and nursed like a champ. I nursed frequently...no more than 2 hours from start of feeding to start of feeding during the day, and no more than 3 at night. I would wake him to nurse if he was going longer. We seeing a nurse and LC at 3-5 days for jaundice. Weight comparisons showed him getting less than 1t of milk for the whole feeding. At 5 days he was seriously jaundiced and dehydrated...pee nearly stopped and looked like Coke. He was hospitalized and I supplemented, pumped and used SNS feeder at home....still nursing frequently. I remember accidentally sleeping through the night at about 10-12 days old (DH blessed me) and having absolutely no fullness to my breasts at all. At 3 weeks I just decided to bottle feed.

So baby #9 is due in a couple of months. This looks like our last baby for many reasons. While I have been okay with my bottle feeding experiences...it wasn't the end of the world, I truly enjoy breastfeeding and really, really want things to go well this time.

I have trained as a lay midwife and have more than an "average" idea of breastfeeding problems and hints...however I would like suggestions as to anything I can do during the end of pregnancy to help support and ready my body to make lots of milk. I know there are lots of mamas with lots of backgrounds and experiences here and I would love to know your thoughts!

One thing I have considered is RRL tea as a general support could also be beneficial.

Thanks!

MDever 12-08-2012 07:39 PM

Re: Milk Supply Struggles and Baby Coming

Jen I had no idea you had struggled so much with nursing. I have been thinking about you lots and wondering how you are doing. I have often thought if you were not due the same time as me I would have come up to your place and camped out so you could catch my squish:chuckle: I have wondered if when women have such challenges if there is a number of things happening not just one. You know like the perfect storm of no milk. Your body has such a hard time when you are pregnant and then I doubt you get much rest after delivery. Other than staying VERY well hydrated and some of the supplements I have no great ideas. I just wanted to offer my support and say I hope so very much that you have a positive and peaceful experience.

Huxley 12-08-2012 08:18 PM

I can't even imagine your struggles. Domperidone, fenugreek, blessed thistle,and goats rue all taken three times daily is the only thing keeping my milk supply up. Ihad a breast reduction and I had to supplement until i got the pills and herbs established.

abunchoflemons 12-08-2012 08:36 PM

Mothers milk tea.mourners milk plusmaybe.lots of water. I just took prenatals. Electric pump helped me get started as the pull seemed to help plus my second seemed to know what she was dloing... relax. My oldest was not great latcher & I was stressed, tired , she didn't seem to know what to do. Hugs....

HisFadedStar 12-08-2012 08:38 PM

I'm nursing after a breast reduction and domperidone 120 mg a day saved me!

crunchymom2b 12-08-2012 09:08 PM

Domperidone, Reglan, Funegreek+Blessed Thistle. Pumping in addition to nursing (after, during, etc). I'm sorry you've had such struggles,I understand competely :-(

weesej 12-09-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDever (Post 16021399)
Jen I had no idea you had struggled so much with nursing. I have been thinking about you lots and wondering how you are doing. I have often thought if you were not due the same time as me I would have come up to your place and camped out so you could catch my squish:chuckle: I have wondered if when women have such challenges if there is a number of things happening not just one. You know like the perfect storm of no milk. Your body has such a hard time when you are pregnant and then I doubt you get much rest after delivery. Other than staying VERY well hydrated and some of the supplements I have no great ideas. I just wanted to offer my support and say I hope so very much that you have a positive and peaceful experience.

Melony,

Thanks so much for the encouragement:) I was very, very stressed last time and I sort of feel like that is what happened. We had just moved cross-country, DH was unemployed and the $$ was gone. We literally were trusting God for our food (and He provided!) I do think it had a huge impact on me though. I also had my most severe bout of PPD yet...it was just awful:cry: This overall has been a more relaxed pregnancy, in spite of all the complications. I have been able to just look forward to baby and there is a lot less on our plate.

weesej 12-09-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huxley (Post 16021553)
I can't even imagine your struggles. Domperidone, fenugreek, blessed thistle,and goats rue all taken three times daily is the only thing keeping my milk supply up. Ihad a breast reduction and I had to supplement until i got the pills and herbs established.

I've tried a lot of these, but not all together....def worth a try. Did you start anything before the birth???? Thanks

bluecandi 12-09-2012 08:26 PM

I too have struggled with low supply with both girls. After dd2, I tested as hypothyroid. Thyroid treatment didnt help much......only domperidone. This time, Im going to encapsulate my placenta. Its rumored to help with ppd and supply issues.
Good luck!!!

HeatherlovesCDs 12-09-2012 08:46 PM

I have 6 kids, 4 nursing "experiences" since I have 2 sets of twins. So, not as many as you, but I've struggled a lot with my supply and yeast and mastitis and preemie issues and latch issues and...and...and the list goes on. Every experience has been just a little different. I'm 8wks into nursing my 6th. So far, this is the best experience I've had. My supply is great and my baby is really gaining, which is not the norm for me. I usually have slow gainers who have to go back for weight checks constantly. This one is actually in the 75% or something like that for weight. I've also really struggled with yeast and nursed with very severe pain throughout most of my other experiences. I was in significant pain much more often than not and it ended my nursing with my oldest at 6 months because the pain was so bad. Somehow, I have fought the yeast this time and won. I was in severe pain from it again early on, but I've managed to get rid of it. This time, it's so different and wonderful.

The only thing I've really done differently (outside of not having preemie twins or NICU time this time :giggle:) is start taking my supplements right away. I didn't wait for my supply to show signs of being low. I just started. Plus, I am taking TONS more Fenugreek than ever before, 6 pills 3x's a day. In the past I've used a supplement that has really helped too. It's called More Milk Plus. I actually used the More Milk Special Blend and that seemed to do better for me. Here is a link to the site: http://www.motherlove.com/category/breastfeeding.html The liquid works better than the pills and the liquid in alcohol works better than the one without. I'm not using it this time...yet. I'm sort of saving that for when my supply drops because I know it will.

Anyway, that is my experience. I hope this time is better for you too. :hugs: