Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Babywearing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Urgent! How to baby wear after abdominal surgery!?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470809)

mayasmomma 12-08-2012 07:28 PM

Urgent! How to baby wear after abdominal surgery!??

On Tuesday I'm going in for surgery, it's laparoscopic but I am having a lot done due to severe endometriosis regrowth and adhesions on my intestines/abdominal wall. My point though is that my baby - 11 months old and 20 pounds can't get through the day without being worn. I usually end up wearing her at least on my back when she's being really clingy so I can do dishes, laundry, etc. or just have my hands free for e-mails even. The problem is this is in an ergo and the straps cross exactly over where all my incisions will be. Maybe if the strap had more padding this wouldn't be so bad?

So, I bought a used Moby on here thinking it will be softer, which is beautiful too - but now I'm reading that she'll probably be too heavy and it will stretch at 20lbs. I'll definitely want it for another baby someday but maybe it won't work for this situation?

My husband has one week off of work but I definitely will need something for week 2 of recovery and beyond. Am I dreaming or will I have to deal with a cranky, clingy baby who can't be held? Am I out of luck?

mysticmomma1879 12-08-2012 07:49 PM

Get a ring sling. Or a back/belly band to pad and support your belly.

hippiechick77 12-08-2012 08:00 PM

Re: Urgent! How to baby wear after abdominal surgery!??

Or if you can get or make a woven wrap, you could do back carries that tie under her bum or tie tiebetan so it wouldn't be across your abdomen. A woven would be a lot more supportive than the moby. Best wishes!

MDever 12-08-2012 08:16 PM

What are the post-op restrictions from your surgeon? There is always a lifting restriction after abdominal surgery even laparoscopic. She is right there on the edge of the 20lb standard so you are going to want to be VERY careful and avoid a complication.

mayasmomma 12-08-2012 08:20 PM

Hum, I'm not sure. She hadn't mentioned one other than avoiding lifting for the recovery period. It gets tricky because we have no idea how long that will be because the surgery is partly exploratory. I could end up losing an ovary, having my intestines operated on, etc - those are worst case. So I have no idea. I do know I'm anxious and really upset about how this is going to effect my relationship with my baby at such a crucial age - she's really hit the separation anxiety this week. It's the worst timing :( I hate it and I know I'm going to miss out on so much. She just started to walk this week too. :( Sorry, I'm just so upset and trying to figure out what in the world I can do.

raymark 12-08-2012 09:13 PM

I've had a couple laparoscopic abdominal surgeries & recall the recovery being pretty easy...but I did not have any LOs to carry at the time & mine were not as explorative as yours could be. Mine just involved attempted repairs of my Fallopian tubes & then the removal/burning of my tubes.

The only way I know to help you is to send some good juju your way:). So, here's to a easy recovery - cheers!

slimy72 12-09-2012 10:42 AM

After the first week I was able to wear the ergo strapped low on my hips and it didn't hit the incision site. However, I am someone who lifted to much to soon and caused other complications so please be very careful. You might be better off to have a cleaning service come during week two so you can just rest and not have much to do. Stock up on paper plates and cups, and put some freezer meals in the freezer before so that you don't have to do much and can just rest and play with LO.

ETA: Crockpot freezer meals would also be a good idea because then you just take 5 min. putting them in the pot in the AM and dinner is ready in the evening and you've had all day to rest and play with LO. Oh, and if you use a crockpot liner you won't even have a pot to wash. As for getting laundry done, have dh throw it in before leaving for work, change over when he gets home and you can fold either during nap or after LO goes to bed, that way you only have one little job a day rather than a whole bunch getting piled up. I've been through 4 surgeries in the last 5 years and I've gotten pretty good at arranging everything to be easy for me during recovery because I did some stupid stuff during my first two.

Pampered Mama 12-09-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slimy72 (Post 16022850)
After the first week I was able to wear the ergo strapped low on my hips and it didn't hit the incision site. However, I am someone who lifted to much to soon and caused other complications so please be very careful. You might be better off to have a cleaning service come during week two so you can just rest and not have much to do. Stock up on paper plates and cups, and put some freezer meals in the freezer before so that you don't have to do much and can just rest and play with LO.

This is what I would do- instead of trying to find a way to carry her while you get these things done- spend the time snuggling with her and playing with her when she is needy- and when she isn't needing held, get a few simple tasks done. I also second a ring sling and abd binder if the doc says the binder is ok- to give yourself some support.

mariamommy 12-09-2012 04:13 PM

Those belly binders made of thick soft elastic would protect your stomach pretty well under the wrap straps.

lynn97 12-09-2012 06:40 PM

I wouldn't do anything w/o your doctor's consent, it just isn't worth it. I hope your surgery goes well.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum