Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Green Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Greasy hair with shampoo bar? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470815)

Dutchlish 12-08-2012 07:52 PM

Greasy hair with shampoo bar?

Uggggh! I have a shampoo bar from Goat Milk Stuff that I had high hopes for since it is supposed to help with itchy scalp and dandruff (HUGE issues for me!). The problem is.. It leaves my hair so greasy and weighed down, blegh. I have tried using just the lather, rubbing the thing all over my head, leaving it in for a minute, rinsing it out right away, using ACV, not using ACV etc. I have been using non conventional shampoo for a while so I don't think there should be too much of an adjustment period. We have semi-hard water.

Any thoughts?

debcita429 12-09-2012 01:39 PM

Re: Greasy hair with shampoo bar?

Every shampoo bar I have tried has left my hair "waxed" and horribly, horribly tangled in addition to failing to really clean my scalp. I try them and end up using the bar as a sort of shaving soap for lack of better uses. That mode of shampoo just seems to be a horrible mix with my hair. That said, people here are saying such amazing things about Happy Hausfrau bars that it tempts me. But all my experience tells me to resist the urge.

AutumnRose 12-09-2012 06:09 PM

I have noticed that "shampoo bars" that are castile soap do that to your hair. From some reading this form of soap is not compatible with hair's composition. Basically it is messing up the PH balance which is the reason for the ACV rinse, but like op said, my hair doesnt even respond to this. You really need a deep conditioner afterwards!

HH shampoo bars are signet bars...meaning they are not 100% natural ingredients, she does add 'chemicals' but they are plant based and a bit safer then the kinds you will find on the store shelf. I have used both and I def. like HH over the all natural shampoo bars. But I'm still wrestling with the desire to have a natural hair cleanser.

debcita429 12-09-2012 11:04 PM

Thanks for that input, Autumn Rose. Since I have tried liquid shampoos and conditioners that are all natural and more or less suitable, I will probably stick with some rotation of those. Happy Hausfrau does indeed sound like a potential option though.

Dutchlish 12-13-2012 07:19 PM

Thanks for your responses!! I have used a few different shampoo bars and they all do the same thing. I've gone back to Aubrey Organics for now - I couldn't deal with the ick. :(

Leah52 12-14-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debcita429 (Post 16023355)
Every shampoo bar I have tried has left my hair "waxed" and horribly, horribly tangled in addition to failing to really clean my scalp. I try them and end up using the bar as a sort of shaving soap for lack of better uses. That mode of shampoo just seems to be a horrible mix with my hair. That said, people here are saying such amazing things about Happy Hausfrau bars that it tempts me. But all my experience tells me to resist the urge.

HH shampoo bars are not soap, they are shampoo (syndet means synthetic detergent and applies to most shampoos and things like body wash). They work really well, my hair is soft and tangle free but they are not as "natural" as a soap bar.

AutumnRose 12-20-2012 02:45 PM

Hey I was wondering which Aubrey Organics shampoo you are using. Im at my wits end!!!

ATM I am using up some head and shoulders (which im allergic too but it helps my scalp).

I have tried several shampoos recently and nothing seems to help my sore, oily, irritated scalp!
ETA: and doesnt leave my hair a big waxy greasy mess!!!

debcita429 12-20-2012 05:55 PM

AutumnRose, I know it's not the question you're looking for an answer on, but I recently started using a very dilute mix of tea tree, mint, and eucalyptus oils with some grapefruit seed extract on my scalp once a week or so (leaving it on for 15 mins to an hour before a shower). I did it to lessen the smelliness of my hair oil and to reduce oil production. It has done both. While I'm concerned that it could be harsh depending on the nature of your scalp irritation, when I was doing the research for my concoction, it seemed like the mint and the presence of something naturally antibacterial in particular were supposed to help with dandruff and other scalp problems. Just a thought provided these are oils you keep on hand? If it bothers you, you could jump in the shower in a jiffy I suppose.

jmb162 12-20-2012 06:36 PM

I bought 4 different shampoo bars from Apple Valleys soaps. I really like the wheat and honey almond. I have a very sensitive scalp and almost all commercial shampoos/conditioners make my head itch so bad. This bar leaves my hair pretty fluffy and no itchiness.

The coconut milk and citrus shampoo bar left my hair a complete mess!! It was greasy and flat and absolutely horrible to brush out.

I have yet to try the other 2 bars.

Dutchlish 12-27-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AutumnRose (Post 16065280)
Hey I was wondering which Aubrey Organics shampoo you are using. Im at my wits end!!!

ATM I am using up some head and shoulders (which im allergic too but it helps my scalp).

I have tried several shampoos recently and nothing seems to help my sore, oily, irritated scalp!
ETA: and doesnt leave my hair a big waxy greasy mess!!!

I am NAK so I can't check which kind exactly, but it's the one with Evening primrose oil. I add some GSE to it, too.