Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What to do with my just turn 2 DD? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470823)

Josiekitty 12-08-2012 08:07 PM

What to do with my just turn 2 DD?

We r first time parents and DD just turn 2. I am a SAHM. I wish there is a book telling me what should I work with kids from age 2 to 3 to prepare them for preschool, etc.

We normally watch half hour show(Barney at the moment) in the morning, read a couple books, learn something, play, nap, then do some arts or music. After dinner another short show, play, a bit iPad time then sleep. (we play outside a lot in the summer). We have one to two play dates each week so she gets to play with other kids.

DD know about 15 shapes, can identify numbers 1-12, know all her ABCs and primary colors. I am thinking to start teaching her the sound of each letters, how clock works, count to 15 and days in the week BUT we don't want to push her beyond her reach.

Thanks for your advice and let me know if there r some good resource books out there.

JennTheMomma 12-08-2012 08:19 PM

Re: What to do with my just turn 2 DD?

My ds2 is 2.5 years old, and at this age I don't focus on academcis, just being a toddler and playing. Your DD already knows quite a bit and seems to be developing just fine. I wouldn't really worry about school just yet. By reading and playing many of the things they learn in preschool will just come to them naturally. I don't remember really teaching my boys to do a lot of the things they learned before 3, but they were on par with everything, we read a lot though and that is probably where it came from. We're also homeschoolers, so we're a little more relaxed on what they need to do at such a young age because it doesn't really apply to us (although ds1 has always been advacned and ds2 is right on schedule with a little advancement in speach as we're big talkers here)

lecialefty 12-08-2012 08:22 PM

Just be with her and let her help you, even if it really isn't helping you ;) they learn so much by watching others at this time. My 2.5 year old has surprised me on what she's picked up on just by watching.

raymark 12-08-2012 08:29 PM

I won't be a lot of help on this topic:) i rarely push my girls into learning lessons. I primarily wanted to tell you that I think you're doing great! You're reading to her every day & introducing her to arts & music :thumbsup:

I mostly let my 3 yr olds lead me. Example: If one of them starts to count I join in & counting becomes a regular fun based activity until one of them shows me another interest. I'm big on outings to zoos, museums, parks, planetariums, live children's theatre, botanical centers, aquariums, and the like. My girls LOVE looking through nature & travel inspired magazines & apps with me. We're big on touch, feel, smell, & taste (when possible). We like to guess how things we can't taste/smell/feel/see would appear to our senses.

I also ask tons of open ended questions & really am attentive/intrigued with their answers. Offhanded questions like "why do you think the sky is blue" & "why do you suppose zebras have stripes" really open up their critical thinking abilities. It does not matter to me what their answers are - it's not about teaching them the right answers. It's just about inspiring their minds to think/imagine/explore.

raymark 12-08-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lecialefty (Post 16021572)
Just be with her and let her help you, even if it really isn't helping you ;) they learn so much by watching others at this time. My 2.5 year old has surprised me on what she's picked up on just by watching.

:thumbsup:

rverrone11 12-08-2012 08:55 PM

Don't push her. Just play with her, do puzzles, drawing, go on walks, and read her LOTS of books. I'm a kindergarten teacher, and I didn't do anything formal with my girls when they are young. While I don't suggest just letting kids play video games and watch TV (which I know you aren't doing), I also don't suggest doing any kind of formal learning at that age. They learn SO much through play. I didn't teach my 5 year old the letters, numbers, or sounds...she just picked them up on her own through our reading, play, and Starfall.com (starting around age 3 I think). I am just now starting to teach her how to read and doing some formal math (she doesn't start kindergarten until next year).

Follow her lead...for example, my 2 year old wants to count everything right now so I count with her. She likes to find letters and asks me what words say, so I tell her those things.

Oh, one fun thing you might like to do is rhyming. It's a good skill that will help with reading in the future.

Just have fun with her and follow her lead, and I am sure you will have fun and she will learn in the process. :)

EmilytheStrange 12-08-2012 09:40 PM

I agree with the others here - just learning through normal play. Follow their lead on what they're interested in, etc.

you can definitely buy the 'Toddler's Busy Book' or look up fun activities online, though. Tons of things that engage them and they're learning while they do it. Might not be things that they can recite back to you - but they learn very important skills, fine motor development is huge at this age. And that means playing :)

bobbyjk 12-09-2012 07:05 AM

I agree not to push it on her, but kids can pick up on things if you make it fun. My DD is just over 2 but knew the same as your daughter and the phonetic alphabet before 2. I never pushed her or had a "lesson" with her, I just talk to her constantly and sound out things (plus the LeapFrog fridge phonics magnets helped) and she just picked it up. So I would say just keep doing what you are doing and she will pick it up naturally. I am big on being outdoors as much as possible (even in cold/snow) and also allowing her to "help" me while I am doing things aroudn the house. (fold laundry, set the table, put dish towels in drawer, wipe the windows, sweep, etc). I think it is important to teach life skills too and she thinks it is so much fun to be like Mommy and help me. We do a lot of puzzles and watercolor painting/mixing colors (on a cookie sheet to contain the water mess). You could work on scissors/cutting and tracing during your craft times?

mibarra 12-09-2012 09:17 AM

That is more than most kids know going in to pre K. You're doing great. Rather than focusing on phonics I would probably focus on reading books and talking about them, and problem solving activities like puzzles. Critical thinking skills are some of the most important skills you can give :)

Josiekitty 12-09-2012 01:16 PM

Thanks mamas for your encouragements. :). We love to play outdoors too but the weather turn cold this time of year :(. Looking forward to Spring :). We will start our Kumon books next year and I bet we will have fun folding, cutting and sticking stickers. I bought some wooden puzzles and she loves it, I can c the improvement in her puzzle solving skill. We have mega blocks too. And yes, we r working on teaching her to drink from a cup, washing her hands, etc.

HELP: I am running out of idea what books should I read to her!!! How do u decided what books to buy or borrow from the library? How u know the book is appropriate for her level?