Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Moms of Many or Multiples (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Cooking for larger families. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470874)

Mamata3 12-09-2012 02:30 AM

Cooking for larger families.

We are now a family of six and as my kids get older I am finding it difficult to feed us off one casserole or 1 crockpot dinner. This was never a problem be cause DH is deployed a lot and the kids had been little and ate little. Now when DH is home meals seem to not be enough for all of us.

Can someone give me tips, recipes or websites pointing me in the right direction to cook for my growing family.

raisingcropsandbabies 12-09-2012 04:42 AM

Re: Cooking for larger families.

I just automatically double or triple or x4 a recipe. I always want to have leftovers as DH takes a serving to work and once a week we take out all the leftovers and that is our supper (tidbits of everything). Right now doubling will feed us all with a couple leftovers. Tripling or x4 will ensure a nice freezer meal or two for later eating.

My mom was the queen of soups (she would put pasta or rice in just about any soup so it can be a more full meal and then butter bread was the side) and casseroles to feed all of us kids. Because we raise our own chickens and cows I have more liberty than she did to use meats. But I would suggest making a greater amount of side dishes so the main dish will stretch (double your mashed potatoes and green beans so the family can have more of that if they are still hungry). And if you have tons extra make potato patties for the next supper.

thirdtimemomma 12-09-2012 12:42 PM

I double and triple the cheapest part of my meals for our family of 9. Like the roast we had today for lunch was the average size, and I filled the rest of the crockpot with potato and carrots. Then I made a huge loaf of bread and dished out two jars of applesauce. Today we have leftovers to make into stew tomorrow.

I never use meat as a main dish with out lots of bread/rice/pasta or veggies as sides.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum

Mamata3 12-09-2012 05:25 PM

Thank you ladies.

SaraElise 12-10-2012 06:55 AM

Yep we double, or have the main dish and several cheaper sides so that they can have smaller portions of each thing.

Mamata3 12-11-2012 02:19 AM

What size crock pot do you mamas use?

Agla 12-11-2012 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thirdtimemomma
I double and triple the cheapest part of my meals for our family of 9. Like the roast we had today for lunch was the average size, and I filled the rest of the crockpot with potato and carrots. Then I made a huge loaf of bread and dished out two jars of applesauce. Today we have leftovers to make into stew tomorrow.

I never use meat as a main dish with out lots of bread/rice/pasta or veggies as sides.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum

This is what I do. I call it "creative meals" which basically mans I stretch the meal in different kind of ways/".

raisingcropsandbabies 12-11-2012 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mamata3 (Post 16029514)
What size crock pot do you mamas use?

I have an 8 qt and a 7 qt! I love my crockpots... so nice when you can make applesauce in one and a beef stew in the other! :)

MomMe3 12-12-2012 03:34 PM

We're also a family of 6 and have similar issues on occasion. We've started to just make more. Rather than one cassarole, I would use one huge dish and then one smaller dish. We don't use our crockpot that often but we have a large one.

We also up the veggies and always provide salad no matter how many other veggies we're serving which helps keep people satisfied. On the rare occasions there isn't enough of the main dish, we try to improvise and will give more snack type options.

This post reminds me we need to use the crockpot more!

RJ6Mommy 12-12-2012 07:21 PM

I have lowered the amount of meat I make at a meal because my kids are serious meat eaters and it is too expensive now. I have started making two loaves of bread at night when we are having steak, roasts, chicken, anything that is not a large portion. They can eat seconds on bread if they are still hungry and have eaten the main coarse,starch,and veggie. Also salad a lot of salad.