Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Nursing Number Two (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470920)

Sarahknavy 12-09-2012 10:06 AM

Nursing Number Two

I am getting ready for my second baby and I am mostly just curious.

Was nursing number two easier? Did it come more naturally?

What challenges did you face?

firstimemommy44 12-09-2012 11:02 AM

I'm nursing both and yes it's much much much easier and comes more natural. Mine are almost 3 and 3 months

qsefthuko 12-09-2012 11:08 AM

Re: Nursing Number Two

My second child had difficulties nursing due to birth injuries. Had he been my first child I think I would have given up. The knowledge and experience I gained nursing my first helped me be successful nursing my second.

My third had a tongue tie that was fixed on the fourth day. Again having prior experience helped a lot.

My first child was actually my easiest nursling. She took to nursing like a duck to water. I had none of the issues many first time mothers have with nursing. No excessive soreness, no infections, no supply issues, no latch problems, no weight gain issues. She was a wonderfully easy baby in so many ways. Then along came my boys with almost all of the above issues.

tibeca 12-09-2012 11:09 AM

Nursling #1 was hard. I now know she had an upper lip tie and posterior tongue tie. Nursling #2 was easy (no ties or complications). Nursling #3 was again challenging. Nursling #3 has an upper lip tie and posterior tongue tie. I opted not to clip either, but we were doing fine by 2 weeks with some minor adjustments.

Even with #3 being challenging, it was no where near as difficult as #1. That said, #1 was nursed until 3 years plus, so it wasn't THAT hard. ;)

l_Kimmie_l 12-09-2012 11:13 AM

DS1 was easy
DS2 was easy
DS3 was easy other than food allergies
DS4 was hard.

I think it depends on the baby more than the succession.

Bentley'sMomma 12-09-2012 11:41 AM

Baby #2 was WAY more easy for me but she's just an easier baby in general. But my milk came in 3 days earlier than it did with my first and I never experienced any soreness or engorgement with #2 either.

tinytushi 12-09-2012 12:09 PM

My first two were hard! My last was easy, but he ended up with some health issues and severe allergies where he was in constant hives until the Dr. had us discontinue breastfeeding and put him on special formula. It was heartbreaking since he was the only one I had that nursed like a champ. I am hoping this one will be a champion nurser also since it will be my last chance.

Van1300 12-09-2012 12:13 PM

I'm nursing #2 who is a month old and it has been way easier. I feel more confident and relaxed. I nurse everywhere, in public, on my couch in my underwear, even in the parking lot standing up. I sleep better too, we co-sleep at least part of the night and side lie to nurse. I've also been pumping for a freezer stash already, so when I go back to work, I'll always have a little extra.

mkrisel 12-09-2012 12:51 PM

DD1 was easy- engorgement was the only discomfort I felt. No cracked or bleeding nipples, never needed to use any cream/ointment or products.
DD2 is even easier. But I think she is easy, but I knew what I was doing. But very little engorgement when my milk first came in and none since then. With DD1, I round get engorged if we went too long between feedings and I don't this time around.

AnimalHouse 12-09-2012 02:00 PM

Nursing subsequent children was easier in that I felt more confident and relaxed. I trusted my body more, and didn't feel the need to watch the clock, or obsess over how often baby nursed, how much weight baby gained, etc. I also had less nipple soreness, probably because I knew how to avoid poor latch and all that fun stuff.