Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Toddler/Kid Room Furniture? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1471062)

sashaz122 12-09-2012 08:29 PM

Toddler/Kid Room Furniture?

We are finally looking at furniture and want to buy something that can last our daughter from 2 through her teenage years. I'm ok with not getting the toddler bed and just getting the normal size since most of the time she falls asleep on our bed still instead of the crib (yes, still trying to move her out lol).
The bedroom is decent sized and can fit the double bed or a single bed with the extra furninture. So I am so lost?:

My main issue - is it better to get a kid a double or a twin bed? (she's 2 now but I don't want to buy/sell/buy etc)

What else do I get? I figure I should get a dresser/mirror since it's a girl, and a night table. Then once she gets a tad older a desk + chair and that's it?
Thanks!

tallanvor 12-09-2012 08:43 PM

Re: Toddler/Kid Room Furniture?

I would stick to a twin bed, just in case you have to move at some point and the room is smaller. Instead of a dresser with a mirror, I would do a chest of drawers with the option of a mirror on the door when she's ready for it. Nightstand is optional, in my opinion.

cdeweese 12-09-2012 09:02 PM

I would definitely do a twin and chest of drawers. A full length mirror will be more practical now (for play and dress up) and later to dress. I would do a night stand, but that's just what works for our family :)

sashaz122 12-09-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdeweese
I would definitely do a twin and chest of drawers. A full length mirror will be more practical now (for play and dress up) and later to dress. I would do a night stand, but that's just what works for our family :)

thanks ladies, why is a chest of drawers better than the dresser? because it has more drawers? haha living in the dark ages yes... i only ever owned a dresser/mirror so never figured out why one would use the chest of drawers...

tallanvor 12-09-2012 11:21 PM

Chest of drawers is simply taller, as opposed to wider. It takes up less floor space.

iris0110 12-09-2012 11:26 PM

I agree, twin bed or bunk beds (so friends can spend the night later). My boys share a room not because they have to but because they want to. They have a bunk bed set and a 4 drawer chest of drawers. They do have a dresser, it was mine when I was a child and it was my mother's before that. It did have a mirror at one time but I never used it so I got rid of it years ago. The boys have a TV on it and use the drawers to store movies and video games. I'm sure there are other furniture options out there that would be far more efficient for this purpose, but this one happened to be free which I appreciate. They also have a giant Lane cedar chest in their closet. It was originally a toy chest but I prefer toys be on shelves or in baskets where they are clearly accessible. All toys other than stuffed animals are in the playroom anyway (this is part of the reason they share a room) so the lane chest is actually for storing extra sheets and blankets. They do not have a night stand but they do have a cheap plastic three drawer storage container that holds cd's, a few movies that didn't fit in the dresser, bracelets, and of course their cd player/alarm clock. They also have a giant book case in their bedroom which uses up the rest of the space in there.

HugeBabyBoy 12-10-2012 01:35 AM

For our 3 year old DD, were building this...

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...q3i7P51Sq8BmM:

It's for a twin bed and is commonly called a midsleeper or playhouse bed. In later years, we plan on removing the front panel where the window and door are cut and building a desk and bookshelves. It would be shaped like an L, and possibly using the extra space for storage/drawers/cubbies.