Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   help!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1471137)

ktktbird 12-10-2012 06:31 AM

help!!

I live overseas and just realized that I have to get curriculum while I am home for Christmas/New Years.
I am just starting to HS with my DS 5 almost 6 and DD 4. We have been doing confessions of a homeschooler for Preschool and Saxon for math. We started to do 100 easy lessons for spelling but it was soooo boring and didn't keep any of our attention! The kids LOVE Confessions of a Homeschooler and they always ask to "play school".
I've been wondering about KONOS so that it's easy to mix grades. Also Spell to Write and Read or All About Spelling. We really need something hands-on and laid out. I also enjoy colorful and fun lay outs. But also contained because I need to have everything I need in one place since I don't have access to buying new curriculum for an entire year.:banghead:
I guess I wonder what you lovely ladies think about these curriculums or what you would suggest with what we have liked so far.
Thanks in advance!!

croark 12-10-2012 08:42 AM

Re: help!!

Do you like the saxon math? I've used several math programs over the years (but not Saxon) and we have finally landed on Math U See. LOVE it.

I think the Konos would be fun.

Personally, I'd skip spelling until about 2nd-3rd grade. That's just me though. I'm assuming you are working on early reading skills so what about the Explode the Code series?
On a sidenote, I've used All About Spelling for 3rd grade. It was ALOT of reading and very classroomy. It's a good program but I felt it was too much for a home school.

I've never heard of Confessions of a Homeschooler. Going to look that up now!

thirdtimemomma 12-10-2012 08:49 AM

Sounds good to me. For reading you might like hooked on phonics for a more hands on thing.

For math we like Math U See. Very hands on. Making Math Meaningful is also hands on.

Konos, weaver and my fathers world are a lot alike.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum

ktktbird 12-10-2012 09:28 AM

Thanks guys!
I've heard of Explode The Code but never looked into it. Off to do that now.
We like Saxon. I've heard that I should probably switch to Math U See for older kids so we may do that. We've skipped through a lot of the Saxon because it was too easy but it goes quickly and my kids love the manipulatives.

Jen's_4 12-10-2012 12:11 PM

If I were in your shoes I would probably look into a all-in-one type set. We use and love My Father's World. I don't know anything about KONOS, but with MFW it is very easy to blend ages--especially with how close together yours are. It includes everything you need for the early years, except library books, but I think they also offer a set of books for those who will not have library access.