Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early Arrivals (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=210)
-   -   Anyone out there pumped for a micropreemie? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1471222)

IsabelsMama 12-10-2012 10:44 AM

Anyone out there pumped for a micropreemie?

Hi mamas! I had a 23 week 1 day baby girl on 11/26. We lost her after 10 hours but I am a huge believer in the benefits of breast milk especially for preemies, so I am pumping to donate my milk to the milk bank that sends milk to the NICU where she was cared for during her short life. I am pumping 5-6 times a day, aiming for 7, but trying to avoid the middle-of-the-night pumping because I know it's important for me to heal physically (c-section with vertical incision) and emotionally.

Anyone out there pumped for micropreemies and if so, how much were you getting per pumping session (or per day) when they were two weeks old? I am getting about 2/3 oz per session which makes about 4oz a day. If I need to do the nighttime session I will...just wondering if this is a typical volume for a baby this early, or on the low side?

Thanks!

7 for now 12-10-2012 06:52 PM

My ds was born at 30 weeks on 11-17. I am pumping for him but it is really a challenge. I am 3 weeks post partum and only get 1-1.5 oz combined per pumping session. I have nursed my previous 7 kids and always had oversupply. This is so different. I am using a rental hospital grade Medela Symphony.

I had PROM at 28-4 weeks, was on strict hospital bedrest with IV and oral antibiotics then got an infection at 30-5 weeks. The docs think I can't pump much because my body was so traumatized from the infection and PROM then emergency c section. My son was within an hour or so of death. He was in bad shape when he was delivered.

You are doing a wonderful thing! I don't have the option of a milk bank where I live so he gets formula to make up for what I can't pump. I can't imagine your loss. And then you are doing such a wonderful thing by donating milk.

All that to say I am producing about the same amount of milk.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

CASMama711 12-11-2012 06:52 PM

Re: Anyone out there pumped for a micropreemie?

When my twins were born at 31 weeks last year, I wasn't able to pump enough for them. They benefited from donor milk from the milk bank for those first few weeks while I tried to build my supply. No advice from me, but from all the NICU moms whose babies have benefited from mamas like you, THANK YOU! :hugs:

vmomma 12-27-2012 11:52 PM

Hey mama! I'm so sorry about your baby :hugs:

I pumped for my 25 weeker, and I was able to store a ton of milk over the first 4-5 months. I was getting about 2-3 oz's per side, every 3 hours. I would say your volume is on the low side.

luvsviola 12-27-2012 11:57 PM

Hugs mama. You are giving an amazing gift to so many people.

beginswithb 01-04-2013 03:24 PM

I just wanted to say that you are an amazing woman. <3 My DD was born at 25 weeks and I struggled to pump for her. I only got about 1-2 ounces per session and eventually lost my supply completely before she was 4 months old. What you're doing is beyond generous. Rock on, mama!

twinmomstl 01-24-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vmomma (Post 16085409)
Hey mama! I'm so sorry about your baby :hugs:

I pumped for my 25 weeker, and I was able to store a ton of milk over the first 4-5 months. I was getting about 2-3 oz's per side, every 3 hours. I would say your volume is on the low side.

Actually you are in the minority here. It's amazing you pumped that much. Most preemie moms struggle with amounts especially these very early babies.

The milk you are producing even in small quantities is perfect for other preemies. I applaud you for doing this, you are doing an amazing thing no matter what the quantity :)

ProudCoastieWife 01-24-2013 09:08 PM

No advice, but just wanted to say that you are an AMAZING mama! I am so sorry for your loss but know I am praying for you and I think you are a truly unbelievable human being! GOD BLESS YOU!

august6 01-24-2013 09:31 PM

You're amazing!

Purplecurlygirl 02-13-2013 03:55 PM

Just want to chime in that this is amazing and generous!