Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Talk to me about wool (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1471341)

MandaMommy2 12-10-2012 03:55 PM

I've decided that I'm going to buy my LO a wool cover to try. I have no idea what one yet. My local diaper store carries the Eco posh but the kissas covers seem trimmer but I haven't seen them in person. I also would be using them over gmd flats with a microfiber liner. We've been struggling with rash issues almost since birth. I want to give my baby a rash free bum for Christmas lol. I have a few fitteds my grandmother made me but I have mainly flats to work with. Am I setting myself up for disaster? Oh and what about up cycled wool. I wish I knew how to sew and had the time because maybe that would work for us. Would a cover from Etsy be a good way to give wool a test drive? I'm afraid that it will be too scratchy or won't work, but I know nothing about wool. LO is allergic to pul, has outgrown her fleece and I'm sick of leaks so here I come wool.

UVASahm 12-10-2012 04:19 PM

Re: Talk to me about wool

Wool is awesome! As someone who just got into it, beware, the first time you see that bum in a pair of gorgeous longies you will be hooked!

As to your questions, 1. I don't think you need the microfiber if you plan to change every couple hours. Your flats will hold up. Also, you might have been getting compression leaks from the Mf fleece combo if the fleece was getting too small. You might want to invest in some nice fitteds for nights and naps just to be in the safe side.

2. An upcycled soaker from etsy or fsot or spots would be a great way to start. It should be inexpensive and you can get a feel for the whole thing. Be careful with upcycled longies or shorts. Make sure you measure you little one carefully as I did not and ordered some stuff that did not fit properly!!

3. Wash and care. I am a definite newbie so I will leave this question to someone more experienced. I lanolize the crap out of my soakers but that may not be a great idea for more expensive soakers and/or longies. Good luck! What a great Xmas present!

MandaMommy2 12-10-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UVASahm
Wool is awesome! As someone who just got into it, beware, the first time you see that bum in a pair of gorgeous longies you will be hooked!

As to your questions, 1. I don't think you need the microfiber if you plan to change every couple hours. Your flats will hold up. Also, you might have been getting compression leaks from the Mf fleece combo if the fleece was getting too small. You might want to invest in some nice fitteds for nights and naps just to be in the safe side.

2. An upcycled soaker from etsy or fsot or spots would be a great way to start. It should be inexpensive and you can get a feel for the whole thing. Be careful with upcycled longies or shorts. Make sure you measure you little one carefully as I did not and ordered some stuff that did not fit properly!!

3. Wash and care. I am a definite newbie so I will leave this question to someone more experienced. I lanolize the crap out of my soakers but that may not be a great idea for more expensive soakers and/or longies. Good luck! What a great Xmas present!

On one hand I'm leaning towards the commercial brands because some offer a lot of wiggle room in the sizing. My LO has a chubby tummy but she's kind of short. Her waist is 17 inches right now. I need to look up how to measure the rise. On the other hand up cycled wool would be more my speed on price. I think I just need to dive in to it. Then if I like it I'll sell my thirsties duo wraps and I'll have more money for wool lol. The only reason I haven't sold the pul covers is because they were shower gifts and I made such a big deal about wanting them that I don't want to hear any squak about it. Do you use out and about? Do you get compression leaks with wool like fleece? Thanks.

jackobeano 12-10-2012 08:51 PM

So wool is awesome but do be forewarned it can be addictive :giggle: I would say go for the recycled wool to try it out. Some of our favorites have be recycled wool plus they seem a bit more durable to me. Once you figure out if you love it than you can try interlock, knit, etc. I usually have some of each. I use wool out and about and LOVE it for night time or anytime really :) I find you get much less compression leaks with wool than fleece. They do happen but I've found it to be few and far between as long as you lanolize properly. Also flats and prefolds too work great under wool so no worries there. If you have any questions I would be happy to answer as best as I can and provide any guidance getting you started that you may need. I think if you are having issues with PUL and getting frustrated with fleece, wool will be perfect for you. It can be confusing at first but well worth it!

Yarnjess 12-10-2012 09:24 PM

We do wool with flats and fitteds. I like the Jo fold or the kite fold with the edges jelly rolled in for the flats. I find those two seem to contain poo the best so it doesn't end up on the wool as often. My daughter sometimes likes to save it up for a week, so blowouts occasionally happen because I don't think any diaper can contain that much poo. I've made all our wool and I really like it.

Also check out the FSOT threads. Lots of mamas have a variety of wool for less than brand new or for trade. You might be able to get more bang for your buck there.

disneylindsay 12-11-2012 05:06 AM

I Love wool over fitteds, and I have quite a stash to choose from.
I have an eco posh and I like it alot, I find it a great daytime cover, or for naps, but I would not use it over night. I have quite a few from etsy and I love them just as much if not more.
The two ladies I would buy from on Etsy are Myecobaby she makes her with an extra layer through the gusset area, she has cute ideas and ships very fast.
I recently found Grateful Buns on Etsy and I am in LOVE with her upcycled covers..they are sooo soft on the inside, she makes it so there are no seams rubbing against baby, all the seams are wither on the outside or hidden in the middle, secondly your soaker cover come lanolized already which leaves you with on less thing to do, just pop it on! The inside of her covers are all sooo soft in cashmere where the outer is made of much heavier wool!
I have 2 of these covers and I think I am going to buy one more!

I love to have a variety of covers to choose from depending on the need and length of time till I can change him next, Ie naps, car rides overnight etc.
I would give either of these ladies a try...just send them a message and ask about their softest cover and then you can give wool a try and see how you fall in LOVE!

UVASahm 12-11-2012 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MandaMommy2 (Post 16028229)
On one hand I'm leaning towards the commercial brands because some offer a lot of wiggle room in the sizing. My LO has a chubby tummy but she's kind of short. Her waist is 17 inches right now. I need to look up how to measure the rise. On the other hand up cycled wool would be more my speed on price. I think I just need to dive in to it. Then if I like it I'll sell my thirsties duo wraps and I'll have more money for wool lol. The only reason I haven't sold the pul covers is because they were shower gifts and I made such a big deal about wanting them that I don't want to hear any squak about it. Do you use out and about? Do you get compression leaks with wool like fleece? Thanks.

We wear our soakers at night because they can be a bit bulky and wear the longies out and about as clothing. No compression leaks!

MandaMommy2 12-11-2012 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yarnjess
We do wool with flats and fitteds. I like the Jo fold or the kite fold with the edges jelly rolled in for the flats. I find those two seem to contain poo the best so it doesn't end up on the wool as often. My daughter sometimes likes to save it up for a week, so blowouts occasionally happen because I don't think any diaper can contain that much poo. I've made all our wool and I really like it.

Also check out the FSOT threads. Lots of mamas have a variety of wool for less than brand new or for trade. You might be able to get more bang for your buck there.

Thanks for the fold tips. I'll look them up. I've been practicing getting the legs snug. My LO has blowouts sometimes too but it usually goes up the back yuck. I think your right though that no diaper can hold that much poo giggle.

MandaMommy2 12-11-2012 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackobeano
So wool is awesome but do be forewarned it can be addictive :giggle: I would say go for the recycled wool to try it out. Some of our favorites have be recycled wool plus they seem a bit more durable to me. Once you figure out if you love it than you can try interlock, knit, etc. I usually have some of each. I use wool out and about and LOVE it for night time or anytime really :) I find you get much less compression leaks with wool than fleece. They do happen but I've found it to be few and far between as long as you lanolize properly. Also flats and prefolds too work great under wool so no worries there. If you have any questions I would be happy to answer as best as I can and provide any guidance getting you started that you may need. I think if you are having issues with PUL and getting frustrated with fleece, wool will be perfect for you. It can be confusing at first but well worth it!

I really want yo try the longies. My house is cold do these would be great but I'm having trouble finding outfits that will work with them. I'm going to have to look harder. I haven't really had a chance to get out of the house much. LO wears mostly blanket sleepers now.

ktgrok 12-11-2012 07:55 AM

My first wool was a loveybums wrap, jersey wool. It would be easy to use over flats. Sewcraftybaby.com has them on sale still I think. Otherwise I do love my kissaluv soaker.