Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Natural remedies for ADD? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1471429)

geez0pete 12-10-2012 08:48 PM

Natural remedies for ADD?

I've double posted this in Green Families.

My 10yo dd has every one of the inattentiveness symptoms of ADD and I'm not sure how to help her. She is not truly ADHD and I am not near considering medicating her, although it has affected her school report card. Has anyone used an alternative treatment that has helped? I'm thinking of trying a small cup of coffee in the mornings since caffeine is a stimulant. And maybe a piece of very dark chocolate at lunch? idk.

Suzi 12-11-2012 05:17 AM

Re: Natural remedies for ADD?

My 8 year doesn't quite meet a diagnosis for adhd but was having significant attention problems last year.

We cut out all dyes, artificial sweeteners, and artificial flavors. it is modeled off of the feingold diet but I didn't follow it that closely.

What seemed to help a lot was getting him to drink "super smoothies" in the morning. His have strawberries, banana, kefir, milk, oats, avocado, a little greens (spinach, kale or chard), flax seed oil and sometimes another fruit The kefir has natural cane sugar in it to help sweeten it up I worked my way up into adding everything. Sometimes I would add a little honey when I first put in a new ingredient. He drinks a big cup of this every morning now.

DalesWidda 12-11-2012 05:59 AM

Ok, take this with a grain of salt but you're either adhd or your not. There is no "little bit" of adhd or "not quite" adhd. Not saying it to pick on you but if you really feel your dd has adhd innatentive type you should get her evaluated before you decide to do any type of treatment, wether it is homeopathic or allopathic. If a child does not have adhd no amount of caffeine or stimulant will help. That's why you should really get a diagnosis. With an adhd person there is a frontal lobe malfunction. So when you give a stimulant, the medication stimulates the malfunctioning part of the brain, which in turn slows down the hypeactivity, increases attention span and alertness, halts impulses, etc. In a non-adhd person a stimulant (meds/caffeine, etc) will do nothing but speed up the functioning frontal lobe which is of course not a great idea. Just giving you my experiences. I have adhd, my daughter has adhd, and I also have an associates degree in psych. Good luck!

ETA: I do agree with the pp. you can't go wrong with cutting out artificial colors and dyes. Everyone can benefit from eating healthier.

mommyofhjm 12-11-2012 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DalesWidda
Ok, take this with a grain of salt but you're either adhd or your not. There is no "little bit" of adhd or "not quite" adhd. Not saying it to pick on you but if you really feel your dd has adhd innatentive type you should get her evaluated before you decide to do any type of treatment, wether it is homeopathic or allopathic. If a child does not have adhd no amount of caffeine or stimulant will help. That's why you should really get a diagnosis. With an adhd person there is a frontal lobe malfunction. So when you give a stimulant, the medication stimulates the malfunctioning part of the brain, which in turn slows down the hypeactivity, increases attention span and alertness, halts impulses, etc. In a non-adhd person a stimulant (meds/caffeine, etc) will do nothing but speed up the functioning frontal lobe which is of course not a great idea. Just giving you my experiences. I have adhd, my daughter has adhd, and I also have an associates degree in psych. Good luck!

ETA: I do agree with the pp. you can't go wrong with cutting out artificial colors and dyes. Everyone can benefit from eating healthier.

That isn't true. I am add and I can't take stimulant medication bc it does speed me up. Everyone reacts differently to medications.

mommyofhjm 12-11-2012 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geez0pete
I've double posted this in Green Families.

My 10yo dd has every one of the inattentiveness symptoms of ADD and I'm not sure how to help her. She is not truly ADHD and I am not near considering medicating her, although it has affected her school report card. Has anyone used an alternative treatment that has helped? I'm thinking of trying a small cup of coffee in the mornings since caffeine is a stimulant. And maybe a piece of very dark chocolate at lunch? idk.

We did this with my oldest ds and it helped. He loves coffee! We also gave him Mt. Dew. No flames! The teacher did see a difference. But it wore off by lunch. It's not really working as well now. We are probably going to look into medication, which I don't want to do.

DalesWidda 12-11-2012 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommyofhjm (Post 16029650)
That isn't true. I am add and I can't take stimulant medication bc it does speed me up. Everyone reacts differently to medications.

from my understanding, if a stimulant med speeds you up then you likely are misdiagnosed. A person can have attention problems and not have ADHD. There is no ADD anymore. It's all ADHD. There are three types; primarily inattentive, primarily hyperactive, and combined. Of course I'm not a doctor so I could be wrong but that is my understanding. Regardless, OP should get a diagnosis, or rule out anything else.

geez0pete 12-11-2012 06:44 AM

Thank you for the responses. I had her assessed 1 or 2 years ago but because she didn't have any of the hyperactivity symptoms, she didn't have enough for the diagnosis (or at least this is how it seemed). To clarify, I'm not pushing for a label, rather describing that she has lots of inattentiveness symptoms that need attention.

We are pretty careful with what we eat simply as a lifestyle choice.

Any books to recommend about helping modify behavior?

momtojande 12-11-2012 07:11 AM

Here's an excerpt from the best description of what ADHD is, what it isn't, and what works & doesn't work:

http://www.greatschools.org/special-...ent-summary.gs

If you are ready to really read, this is the 40-page article that the excerpt was taken from: http://www.greatschools.org/pdfs/220...f?date=4-12-05

GEM Cloth 12-11-2012 10:09 AM

I answered in Green Families because I go there first but looks like there are more responses here. I will be interested in the answers myself.

thoennes6 12-11-2012 12:16 PM

My son has recently been diagnosed with ADD. He shows no signs of hyperactivity. We made a choice to put him on meds for many reasons. When I asked my Dr. about cutting out different things in his diet he explained to me while that may help some it would not do anything to solve all the symptoms. My son was failing in school. We were having huge meltdowns at home about homework and simple directions. While I'm not totally thrilled that he is on meds daily it has made a HUGE difference in his attitude and his school work. He is no longer failing 3rd grade. He comes home and does his homework without argueing. His teacher has said that he is participating in class and has made a 180 degree turn.